spudco

I'm feeling an upgrade comming...
« on: 16 Feb 2009, 10:27 pm »
Current system:

Jenn Air Convection Oven / Microwave wall unit
Thermador LP Gas Cook Top with built in grill
Thermador Downdraft vent with exterior fan and motor
GE side by side Frig

I'm having ongoing problems with the Thermador stuff and the Microwave.  The frig is making lots of noise.  The time is right - I need some recommendations.  This is very important to my wife and me.  We cook every day.  I bake all our bread.  We entertain often.

Of course, money is an option (especially when I'm spending my wife's income).

Some of you know that I'm homebound due to a disability.  That makes shopping for appliances a real pain.  I could really use some guidence so I can plan a outing or 2 to research specific brands/models.

The requirements:

Vent System:

I want to replace the Thermador downdraft vent.  I will leave the duct work in place to provide airflow for a new overhead vent.

I want a good overhead vent and would perfer one with an exterior fan motor.  The vent will need to be free standing over an island.  The exhaust vent pipe will need to make a 9 foot run, 90 degree turn and a 10 foot run to the exterior.  I have a timber framed home, so wiring can be a problem.  I have 120v already to some lights over the island.  I will probably try and retain task lighting around the vent.

Cook top:

I would like to remain with stainless steel LP gas cook top.  4 or 5 burners.  I don't wish to have a grill.  The current cooktop is 36" X 20".  I don't have too much room to expand on the island.  The island has both LP gas 120v wiring so installation should be fairly easy.

Ovens:

I may try to keep the Jenn Air convection oven.  It works very well.  I am open to recommendations however.

Frig:

I like side by side design.  I don't really care about through the door water/ice, but like icemakers.  The current opening has a 33" wide side by side design.  It would be very difficult to go bigger than 33" wide.  I think I want an energy star rated unit.  We have another frig on the ground floor and a couple of freezers, so this unit is for stuff we use on a regular basis in the kitchen.

jrebman

Re: I'm feeling an upgrade comming...
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2009, 10:36 pm »
I don't know if they have anything that suits your needs, but I've had my Viking stove for over 10 years now, have moved it between three houses and it has never needed any servicing whatsoever.  Except for the original installation when an idiot contractor wired the 110 outlet for 220 and plugged the stove in, immediately frying all the internal electronics like the spark module, and oven thermostat.

The hood is built like a tank too, but a bit on the loud side, but does have removable grease traps and vriable speed fan and halogen lighting.

This is a standard 30" unit with 4 15,000 BTU burners.  If I had another kitchen that was bigger the only thing I'd do different is get a 36" unit with grill and griddle.

Just passing along a recommendation for what has been the best appliance I've ever owned.

-- Jim