Having fun with a super clean Dyna PAS-3X tube preamp.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: Having fun with a super clean Dyna PAS-3X tube preamp.
« Reply #20 on: 18 Feb 2009, 11:51 pm »
Sorry Frank for my outburst. :oops:

What outburst?   :lol:
Later I remembered I could edit my original post, I deleted part of it. :shh:

martyo:

I wish that there was the capability of deleting the entire post on the AC servers.  I admit that I have a few posts that have been edited to nothing more than "...."

martyo

« Reply #21 on: 19 Feb 2009, 09:27 am »
Hey "One", you have a pm.  8)

gjs_cds

« Reply #22 on: 19 Feb 2009, 04:48 pm »
Is it possible to delete?

I see that some...er...ex-member's posts have been deleted, but I'm assuming this was done by the mods...

martyo

« Reply #23 on: 19 Feb 2009, 05:12 pm »
Is it possible to delete?

I see that some...er...ex-member's posts have been deleted, but I'm assuming this was done by the mods...

There is a modify icon on your own posts only that you can edit with, or delete within the post body.

avahifi

« Reply #24 on: 20 Feb 2009, 01:01 pm »
So now just for more fun, I have installed a set of absolutely perfect Telefunken 12AX7 tubes in the Insight buffered Super Pas Three.  I bet it will outplay a whole lot of $10,000 tube preamps now.  :)

I would rate it even higher except that I also have a major running change now going into production for some Insight products.  I will tell you more about this in a few days.

Not to worry if you bought within the last 30 days,  you will be able to return any applicable units (which ones, to be announced) for a free upgrade when it is available.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

turkey

« Reply #25 on: 20 Feb 2009, 01:19 pm »
  I bet it will outplay a whole lot of $10,000 tube preamps now.  :)

Damned with faint praise. :)

rcag_ils

« Reply #26 on: 20 Feb 2009, 03:37 pm »
Frank, you spend so much time on upgrading the Insight line, will you be upgrading the Ultra, and Fetvalve soon? The double-die transistor for the Ultra 550 is only an option and hasn't been incorperated into the normal production. Will the Insight line eventually make the Ultra and Fetvalve obsolete?

avahifi

« Reply #27 on: 20 Feb 2009, 03:45 pm »
Now how am I supposed to know that?

Frank

martyo

« Reply #28 on: 20 Feb 2009, 04:12 pm »
Frank, you spend so much time on upgrading the Insight line, will you be upgrading the Ultra, and Fetvalve soon? The double-die transistor for the Ultra 550 is only an option and hasn't been incorperated into the normal production. Will the Insight line eventually make the Ultra and Fetvalve obsolete?

Frank

And while you're at it, who's gonna win the division this year, the White Sox or the Twins?   :lol:  8)

Brett Buck

« Reply #29 on: 20 Feb 2009, 07:13 pm »

Who cares about the division, what are tomorrow's lottery numbers? 

Seriously, however, how could a perfectly functional amplifier that some is currently satisfied with go "obsolete"? It's not useless just because something better might come along. Audiophilia nervosa?

Brett

TomW16

« Reply #30 on: 20 Feb 2009, 08:07 pm »
So now just for more fun, I have installed a set of absolutely perfect Telefunken 12AX7 tubes in the Insight buffered Super Pas Three.  I bet it will outplay a whole lot of $10,000 tube preamps now.  :)

Is it just me or does this hybrid tube insight arrangement begin to sound like a FetValve  :wink:

Cheers,
Tom

avahifi

« Reply #31 on: 20 Feb 2009, 08:26 pm »
Two observations.  First, nothing is going "obsolete".  What you have will not suddenly suffer degraded sound. However, I do reserve the right to keep thinking and every once in a while have an "ah ha" that works pretty well.  I do like to offer the best I can do, unless you all would rather that I just shut up shop now and go away and keep any "ah ha's" all to myself.

Second, the Insight products are all solid state, not tube hybrid designs.  If you are talking about the Super Pas Three with Insight buffers, it is far from an Ultra product.  The Ultra has a much more sophisticated circuit design and power supply, neither of which can be executed within the confines of the old Dyna Pas chassis.  The Ultra preamps already can output lots of $10,000 vacuum tube preamps.  :) 

Third, the new "ah ha" applies to Insight preamps and DACs, and likely to the T8 and Ultra DACs too, although I have not finished tested these yet. The upgrade, if you want it, will be reasonably inexpensive.  It does not apply to any of our power amplifiers.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #32 on: 20 Feb 2009, 10:23 pm »
Two observations.  First, nothing is going "obsolete".  What you have will not suddenly suffer degraded sound. However, I do reserve the right to keep thinking and every once in a while have an "ah ha" that works pretty well.  I do like to offer the best I can do, unless you all would rather that I just shut up shop now and go away and keep any "ah ha's" all to myself.

Second, the Insight products are all solid state, not tube hybrid designs.  If you are talking about the Super Pas Three with Insight buffers, it is far from an Ultra product.  The Ultra has a much more sophisticated circuit design and power supply, neither of which can be executed within the confines of the old Dyna Pas chassis.  The Ultra preamps already can output lots of $10,000 vacuum tube preamps.  :) 

Third, the new "ah ha" applies to Insight preamps and DACs, and likely to the T8 and Ultra DACs too, although I have not finished tested these yet. The upgrade, if you want it, will be reasonably inexpensive.  It does not apply to any of our power amplifiers.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Frank:

Can't wait to learn more about the upgrades.  Being without my preamp and DAC for a few days while they are upgraded, however, will be tough.   :D

(I need a spare preamp and DAC, just for "emergencies.")

Art_Chicago

« Reply #33 on: 21 Feb 2009, 02:10 am »
Hey, I just got my T-8 preamp today (bought from eBay on Sunday), and now it is good for an upgrade!
BTW, want to thank Frank and Dean Kayser for an excellent sounding pre-amp. I have been listening to it since 10 am. Cannot stop!
Special thanks to BrianM for a thorough review on T-8/Ultra. I have a few CDs of Andrew Manze playing Bach and Biber. His baroque violin sounded somewhat harsh in my system without T-8. It's all gone now, just pure pleasure. Yet, T-8 is capable of playing Radiohead like I have not heard before.  :thumb:

gjs_cds

« Reply #34 on: 21 Feb 2009, 02:52 am »
I'm excited to hear about the new designs and improvements, Mr. Van Alstine.  Please keep the innovation coming!

Tom Alverson

« Reply #35 on: 21 Feb 2009, 04:19 am »
Hey, I just got my T-8 preamp today (bought from eBay on Sunday), and now it is good for an upgrade!
BTW, want to thank Frank and Dean Kayser for an excellent sounding pre-amp. I have been listening to it since 10 am. Cannot stop!
Special thanks to BrianM for a thorough review on T-8/Ultra. I have a few CDs of Andrew Manze playing Bach and Biber. His baroque violin sounded somewhat harsh in my system without T-8. It's all gone now, just pure pleasure. Yet, T-8 is capable of playing Radiohead like I have not heard before.  :thumb:

Art:

Franks new idea applies to the T8 version of the DAC I believe and not the T8 Preamp.

Tom

rcag_ils

« Reply #36 on: 21 Feb 2009, 02:30 pm »
Can anyone post some pictures that show the inside of the Insight?

avahifi

« Reply #37 on: 21 Feb 2009, 04:15 pm »
I will have some photos of the insides of the Insight SL and EC preamps posted at our web sites one of these days soon.

The Super Pas Three we have been talking about looks exactly the same as the photo at our web site except for the addition of one more vertical board just in front of the power supply board containing the Insight buffer circuits.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Tom Alverson

« Reply #38 on: 21 Feb 2009, 09:19 pm »
Can anyone post some pictures that show the inside of the Insight?

Wayner posted some good  photos in this thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=57074.msg526012#msg526012

Wayner

« Reply #39 on: 21 Feb 2009, 09:50 pm »

:D