Omega Super 3 XRS with HEMP driver on my way

Capt. Z

Omega Super 3 XRS with HEMP driver on my way
« on: 16 Feb 2009, 03:41 pm »
Recently I got me a Bottlehead S.E.X. amp to experiment with my headphones and speakers. I really like the sound from the Bottlehead amp and my old ACI Sapphire III sound pretty good with that amp, except I can hear that amp does not have enough control over the driver.

So I started looking here for some High efficiency speaker and stumbled across the Omega speakers. Last weekend I pulled the trigger and bought the Omega Super 3 XRS with HEMP driver  from these classified pages.

Last night I was reading through the archives on the Omega 3 XRS with HEMP driver and it seems that they prefer an amp with decent wattage, so I am wondering how the Omegas will mate with the Bottlehead 2 Watts.

Also looking forward how this small driver will sound in comparison to my old ACI speakers.
It will be about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks before I actually before the payment has cleared, shipped and I will receive the speakers.

So what can I expect?  :drool:

BossaNova31

Re: Omega Super 3 XRS with HEMP driver on my way
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2009, 01:58 am »
I recently set my sister/brother in law up with their first tube system - Omega Super 5 XRS driven by the little Almarro 205a 5 watt SEP integrated. IMO this is a perfect setup for their tiny 11x13 NYC apartment living room and it sounds lovely. You are 100% correct though that the Omegas love a bit more drive. I have a set of Superhemps which I run with Manley 300b monoblocks with pretty beafy transformers and 12wpc in SET and 24wpc in push pull. They really like the added ooomph of the push pull configuration, but depending on the music Im listening to I will do a lot of listening in lower power SET mode. Im setting another friend up with his first tube system, Omega Super 6XRS driven by a Manley Stingray. Well, Im waiting for the speakers still but I took delivery of the Stingray this weekend for my friend (Im piecing the whole system together for him and then will help him set it up over at his place). Just for fun I hooked the Stingray up to my Superhemps and WOW, what a fantastic combo. 20wpc of triode EL84 power really gets the juices flowing on the Omegas. So, yes IMO low wattage amps work well with the Omegas but if you have a chance to feed them a bit more power then things really get exciting!

Capt. Z

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2009, 02:09 am »
Don't the Omega 3 XRS hemp an efficiency of 95db?

I guess the added power would be needed for more control of the woofer.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2009, 02:14 am »
I just built a KT88 / EL34 SET for my XRS, it makes 6-7 wpc SET and 10-11 wpc in UL mode. I like SET mode for most music unless I'm planning on earbleed volumes, then UL keeps up a bit better. Also, with these speakers, feedback is not a good thing. Anyway, the SET I built is more than enough for over 100 dB peaks at the listening position 6' away. This is what I built: http://www.tubelab.com/SimpleSE.htm ... ideally I'd like to have an 845 SET, but it would cost a small fortune, even diy. As far as your 2 wpc amp, it'll work but you will want more power.

The XRS are 93 dB effecient.

el dub

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2009, 02:55 pm »
Right on, bossanova.

I'm glad to hears other's enjoying that manley/omega combo.  :drool:

lw

Capt. Z

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2009, 05:55 pm »
my used Omega come with spiked stands. Since I have a hardwood floor I am thinking about removing the 3 spikes on the underside and replace them either with felt or cork dots. Any thoughts on that?

Jampot

« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2009, 07:45 pm »
Louis supplies little dimpled disks to use under the spikes on a hard floor. If they are missing use pennies - better to keep the spikes IMHO.

Jim