FYI: Great deal on thick Maple platforms

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #20 on: 16 Dec 2003, 11:21 am »
Quote from: VeraStarr
Fine... lets play bottom out the market ..Verastarr will sell to anyone mentioning this post for $20 including free Priority mail shipping (PE will cost you $5.99 shipping)...

Buy up!!!
Thats some deal Mike , Thanks !! :)

VeraStarr

• Industry Participant
  • Hand built high end amplifiers/cables from the USA
    • http://WWW.VERASTARR.COM
« Reply #21 on: 16 Dec 2003, 11:40 pm »
No Problem...I figured a give away might help our notariety a bit !!

byteme

« Reply #22 on: 17 Dec 2003, 02:08 am »
Well, based on the comments and a long desire to try out a maple platform, and certainly the price!!  I decided to give these a try.  I emailed Chris and asked for two custom platforms, 9x12 for under my Powervar (with mapleshade conepoints) and 17" x 21 " as a replacement shelf for my rack.  I needed a couple cutouts on that one though - and Chris said no problem.  Great to deal with.  Fast turnaround and shipping.  

I ended up emailing him a drawing of the cutout with dimensions and he got it exactly right.  They look awesome and it's too bad you'll only see the one.  Highly recommended!!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #23 on: 17 Dec 2003, 02:21 am »
byteme,

did you ever try the Mapleshade platforms?

I am concerned about committing without being able to return.  In the past I tried maple cutting boards and I thought it did more harm than good.

GW

byteme

« Reply #24 on: 17 Dec 2003, 02:43 am »
Quote from: zybar
byteme,

did you ever try the Mapleshade platforms?

I am concerned about committing without being able to return.  In the past I tried maple cutting boards and I thought it did more harm than good.

GW
Nope, however these appear to be substantially similar and substantially cheaper.  My comments above refer to the look and service.  I haven't as of yet, had a chance to listen.  I will, however, say this.  I noticed a difference for the better when I put the Powervar on Mapleshade conepoints.  Those went into brick I had sitting on the floor.  The maple should improve that as well.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #25 on: 17 Dec 2003, 04:11 am »
Byteme, Can you let us know how the platform/conepoints sounds in your system. Did you get the Isoblocks also? I will be using similar set-up. The difference between Mapleshades platform and Timbernation platform is Mapleshades is solid Maple and kiln dried. The Timbernation is multiple pieces glued together and air dried. I'm ordering from Timbernation(great prices for custom work). These platforms/Isoblocks?Conepoints will be used under Nottingham Turntable & BPT 2. Also checking out H.A.L.'s Big-Cup Tenderfoot W/Gabon Ebony Precision-machined 1" ball under source equipment. http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/footers.htm  

Back to Miles :D

byteme

« Reply #26 on: 17 Dec 2003, 05:01 am »
Quote from: DARTH AUDIO
Byteme, Can you let us know how the platform/conepoints sounds in your system. Did you get the Isoblocks also? I will be using similar set-up. The difference between Mapleshades platform and Timbernation platform is Mapleshades is solid Maple and kiln dried. The Timbernation is multiple pieces glued together and air dried. I'm ordering from Timbernation(great prices for custom work). These platforms/Isoblocks?Conepoints will be used under Nottingham Turntable & BPT 2. Also checking out H.A.L.'s Big-Cup Tend ...

I didn't get isoblocks.  Maybe I'll look into those at some point, for now this is good.  I don't know if the maple made that much a difference, however, I was listening tonight and really liked the way everything sounded.  I've read people who like the way maple "sounds" under certian components, I had the Mapleshade brass conepoints and wanted to get the power conditioning stuff off of the floor and off of bricks and fingured I'd do the amp as well.  The maple was cheap and does the trick.  If I had to say anything about the sound it would be - less bright, easier to listen to, not as fatiguing as it can be sometimes.  I'm sure this has as much to do with the maple under the amp as it does the powervar.

PhilNYC

« Reply #27 on: 17 Dec 2003, 03:44 pm »
Quote from: byteme
Nope, however these appear to be substantially similar and substantially cheaper.  My comments above refer to the look and service.  I haven't as of yet, had a chance to listen.  I will, however, say this.  I noticed a difference for the better when I put the Powervar on Mapleshad ...

I think the Mapleshade board is one solid piece of maple, whereas this (and most cutting boards) are made of a number of pieces bonded together.  Not sure how much difference it would actually make.  However, I've done some experimenting with different cutting boards, and I've found that the direction of the wood grain can make a difference.  Most of these boards are "edge grain", meaning that the grain of the wood is parallel to the surface of the board.  But you can find some boards that are "end grain", which means that the grain of the wood is perpendicular to the surface of the board.  Believe it or not, I was able to hear a difference between these types of boards...finding that the edge grain boards imparted a bit of a softer sound, and the end grain boards seemed to give a harder sound.  In all instances, I was using them with my cdp using brass cones between the cdp and cutting board.

The other difference between edge grain and end grain boards is that edge grain boards are made of fewer pieces (you see strips of wood that go along the length of the board), whereas end grain boards you see a lot of little square and rectangular pieces showing "vertically" to the surface of the board.  Maybe that has more to do with how it affects the sound than the direction of the grain?

Have heard that boards made of multiple pieces are less likely to warp than single-piece boards.  I don't have any experience with single-piece boards, so I can't say I've had any personal experience with this.

Oh...one more thing...I've tried using these cutting boards under my speakers, and it was horrible.  Midrange was totally smeared...

My two cents...

JoshK

« Reply #28 on: 17 Dec 2003, 04:58 pm »
I got my maple platforms from Timbernation last night.  I agree they are very well done.  I ordered non finished so I could stain/finish to my own liking.  

Couple of quick comments:

- Yes these are edge grain, multi piece, boards as opposed to Mapleshade which is one piece (probably edge grain) and chopping block boards which are typically end grain.
-  I have also heard difference between edge grain and end grain and typically like edge grain better.  Certainly looks better IMO, and is easier to finish nicely.  
-  Yes multi piece boards (with alternating direction of grain) will likely provide less warping with time, but also provide a bit more resonance damping, for better, for worse.  Notice that Teres plinths are mutli alternative pieces of edge grain wood.  
- I am happy with my timbernation platforms, although I wish I had ordered all 15x18 instead of two which were 12x15.  Let me know if someone has use for the 12x15 and we can make a deal for mine.

eichlerera1

« Reply #29 on: 17 Dec 2003, 05:04 pm »
Darth: You have it backwards. Mapleshade air dries it's maple.

OK, I'll put out a review. I own a full blown Mapleshade Isolation System. Two Samson stands, maple platforms and isoblocks.
Aesthetically, the stands are flat out gorgeous. The local maple  Pierre uses has wonderful color and grain. The rack has a well thought out system of adjusting and securing each 2" shelf. Once set up the rack is heavy and ROCK SOLID.

I use 2" thick platforms with Brass Cones and Isoblocks under most of my equipment. For my CD/DVD player I use a 4" platform.
The only downside is that this isolation arrangement takes up a LOT of vertical space for each component. I've managed to squeeze most of my components within the two racks.

I am quite happy with the sound. The maple tends to tighten all frequencies. With my particular setup, the Mapleshade components definately do NOT soften the presentation. It brings quite a bit of point source focus and soundstaging to the sonic mix.
My VTL 225 Monoblocks seem a nice match. The lows are extremely  extended and tight to the point of sounding solid state. The mids are glorious (thanks to those JJ E34L output tubes). The highs don't extend into the heavenly regions due to the limitations of a pure tube design, but they are entirely natural and satisfying. Actually the Mapleshade stuff gave a slight extension to my previous high frequency response. I'm flat to about 16-17KHz.
There is quite a bit of separation between instruments within the soundfield. It's quite holographic.

Much has been said about the"puffing of his wares" by Pierre. There's no question he's a master salesman. But from my few conversations with him, he comes across as helpful, honest and convinced of his opinions. It's obvious to me he is thoroughly committed to producing the best product he is capable of.

Are his products inexpensive? No. But if you tried to duplicate them you would discover they are not overpriced. I heartily recommend them.

Paul G

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 17 Dec 2003, 05:13 pm »
So if I try and compare apples to apples, here is the tale of the tape (for what I need):

Mapleshade:

I would use their amps stands in place of a rack for my gear (preamp, dac, transport).  I need something very low to the ground so it doesn't get in the way of my screen mounted on the wall.

18x15x4 maple stand in standard finish with carpet piercing spikes is $335 + shipping.

Timbernation:

18x15x3 maple stand in standard finish with no spikes is $180 shipped.  I would need to add the carpet piercing spikes which are $140 for a set of four.  Bringing the total to $320.

So, assuming they each sound the same (which of course they don't), Mapleshade is slightly more expensive.  Now if you can get some type of discout from them, you are talking to the same price.

So now for the real question ....

Which will sound better?

I have no way of answering that unless I can hear both.

To further muddy things up, can you get a better solution for $350 or less a stand?

GW

eichlerera1

« Reply #31 on: 17 Dec 2003, 05:42 pm »
Mapleshade will discount if your order is large enough (I don't think yours is).

Be sure to compare shipping charges before deciding.

Pierre air dries his wood based on the fact that musical instruments use air dried wood exclusively in their construction.
Does it truly make a difference? Pierre claims he has tried both and overwhelmingly prefers air dried. I have no reason to doubt him based on my experiences with Mapleshade.
                                                                            Paul G

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 17 Dec 2003, 05:45 pm »
Paul,

If I place an order, it will be for 3-5 amp stands.

I hope that will get some type of discount... :roll:

As for shipping...I am pretty close and I think it will run no more than $50-70.

GW

maxwalrath

« Reply #33 on: 17 Dec 2003, 06:11 pm »
"18x15x3 maple stand in standard finish with no spikes is $180 shipped. I would need to add the carpet piercing spikes which are $140 for a set of four. Bringing the total to $320. "

can't capet piercing spikes be had for less than $140? That price seems really high.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 17 Dec 2003, 06:18 pm »
According to Mapleshade's website it is $35/cone.  4x35 = 140

Believe me, I wish it were less.

I of course could go with cheaper cones, but I was trying point out that price wise there wasn't a big difference between Mapleshade and Timbernation.

GW

PhilNYC

« Reply #35 on: 17 Dec 2003, 06:22 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
- Yes these are edge grain, multi piece, boards as opposed to Mapleshade which is one piece (probably edge grain) and chopping block boards which are typically end grain...

Btw - just to distinguish...most kitchen cutting boards are edge grain, vs. butcher blocks, which are end grain.  End grain will give a harder surface, which is important to chopping and cooking.  End grain tends to be more expensive to make...

eichlerera1

« Reply #36 on: 17 Dec 2003, 06:32 pm »
Zybar: Don't assume. Get a shipping quote directly from both places. Trust me. Can't hurt to request a discount from Mapleshade. They can only say no.

Paul G

JoshK

« Reply #37 on: 17 Dec 2003, 06:35 pm »
Timbernation's price includes shipping.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 17 Dec 2003, 07:02 pm »
I talked to Mapleshade and $50-70 is the estimate they gave me for shipping costs.  Sorry that wasn't clear.

Bottomline is that they are close enough in price that the difference isn't a deciding factor to me.

I thought this would good for everybody to know the prices so that they can make an informed decision.

Guessing on which will sound better is the real issue.

GW

JoshK

« Reply #39 on: 17 Dec 2003, 07:08 pm »
Zybar,

You're right.  The prices can be close, depending on the application.  I doubt there is really a best sounding winner in all systems, it is likely dependent on a number of things.  That said, I doubt there is an appreciable difference, but I could be wrong.

I posted this thread as an alternative to the plain platform which Mapleshade sells.  I am not trying to trash Mapleshade in anyway, just suggestion a cheap alternative for the price conscious audiophile.