Need a new Food Mixer (stand mixer)

Grumpy_Git

Need a new Food Mixer (stand mixer)
« on: 13 Feb 2009, 12:02 pm »
I've decided to become a Lazy_Git :lol: and get a food mixer.

I will hopefully be using this mostly for kneading doughs for pizza bases and the weekly cake baking so need a reasonably powerful model with a dough hook. Budget is approximately £150.

I'm in the uk so that may affect manufacturers available, my prefered model at the moment is the Kenwod Chef Classic KM336.

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions or opinions on the above model?

Thanks in advance of any replies guys and gals.

Nick.

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
Re: Need a new Food Mixer (stand mixer)
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2009, 03:09 pm »
I have never used nor seen the Kenwood units.  In googling, it appears it is rebadged as the DeLonghi DSM5 here in the states.  I have no experience with the Delonghi unit either.

I have owned and operate Kitchaid Mixers for 12 plus years.  I would highly recommend them based on their reliablilty and ease of operation (which includes clean up).  The Professional models like the Pro 500 or 600 series would work if you are at or near group home or restaurant type of output.  If it is just for home use and church weekly baking fund raising sales, I would purchase one of the KSM150 models.

Please keep in mind that both of my units are 12 plus years old so I don't know what the quality of today's Kitchenaid mixers are.  The Kenwood/DeLonghi appear to be above average units.

Good luck,
Lou

gsm18439

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2009, 03:11 pm »
In the US, Kitchenaid is considered the gold standard. Particularly the models where the bowl lifts instead of the head tilting.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2009, 03:25 pm »
I've decided to become a Lazy_Git :lol: and get a food mixer.

I will hopefully be using this mostly for kneading doughs for pizza bases and the weekly cake baking so need a reasonably powerful model with a dough hook.

Thanks in advance of any replies guys and gals.

Nick.

Here is one for you.  It's a wife friendly model.  :green: :green:

Grumpy_Git

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2009, 05:01 pm »
woodsyi

Your wife has one of those at home? and you allow it?  :lol:

Everyone else:

I won't even allow my fiancee in the kitchen unless I have to. The machine is for me and domestic chores only, but with regular use.

I cant afford a kitchenaid as they retail at very much £220+ range, this makes them beyond my available finances and more importantly what I WANT to spend.
I can't find motor wattage on the kitchenaid site either, I know the kenwood has an 800W motor, I dont really want less than that as stiff dough requires P O W E R .

Thanks all.

Nick

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2009, 12:21 am »
You might want to try some used restaurant equipment establishments or eBay for good deals on commercial quality mixers. There was a Hobart(parent company of Kitchen Aid) model that was made in France, either the NS50 or NS12 that were very good small mixers with high torque motors. See if you can find a mixer with a spiral dough hook, as opposed to the straight J hook, as the dough tends to crawl up the J hook. The Kenwood is ok as is the Bosch  but they really strain with pizza dough.  In any event always buy a gear driven mixer, never a belt driven mixer.

Grumpy_Git

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2009, 09:49 am »
Cheers konut