Problems with Max

kwl

Problems with Max
« on: 12 Feb 2009, 05:47 pm »
I'm relatively new to the Mac world, purchasing an iMac in September.  My music library is in FLAC (for a SB3) and in MP3 (for ipods; easy conversion from FLAC on a PC).  I downloaded the latest version of Max (0.8.1) to rip new CDs and add them to my library.  Max isn't very intuitive, but worked fine for a while.  Lately, Max doesn't connect to MusicBrainz (at all) and gives a tagging error on each MP3 track ripped.  No tag errors happen when ripping to FLAC.  Anyone else have this issue?  Remove and reinstall Max?  Better programs for my purposes?

Thanks for your help!

bunnyma357

Re: Problems with Max
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2009, 06:27 pm »
I'm relatively new to the Mac world, purchasing an iMac in September.  My music library is in FLAC (for a SB3) and in MP3 (for ipods; easy conversion from FLAC on a PC).  I downloaded the latest version of Max (0.8.1) to rip new CDs and add them to my library.  Max isn't very intuitive, but worked fine for a while.  Lately, Max doesn't connect to MusicBrainz (at all) and gives a tagging error on each MP3 track ripped.  No tag errors happen when ripping to FLAC.  Anyone else have this issue?  Remove and reinstall Max?  Better programs for my purposes?

Thanks for your help!

I had a similar problem a while ago when I upgrade MAX to the latest version (0.8.1) - in comparing files the track durations were 1 second longer in the new version, so it wouldn't find the matching info in MusicBrainz, I ended up downgrading back to the older version (0.7.1), so I don't know if it ever got addressed.

Link with older versions of MAX:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=158413&package_id=177726

Jim C

rydenfan

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2009, 06:36 pm »
I have no issues with MAX. Are you sure your network connection is working properly?

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2009, 07:57 pm »
I always use the macro they provided to pick up the info directly from iTunes.  Seems to work really well other than one more step.

avta

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2009, 08:15 pm »

kwl

« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2009, 07:39 pm »
Thanks!  I'll play with it some this weekend.  I still don't understand how MusicBrainz could just stop working.  If this were a PC, file corruption can happen at any time; I doubt that a Mac is immune to this?  My network connection seems fine (all other programs connect to the internet (e.g., squeezecenter) just fine).

kwl

« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2009, 05:09 pm »
I solved the problem by deleting preferences and reinstalling Max.

Thanks!