SOLD: Van Alstine Transcendence 8 DAC- Mint! SOLD!

Sense63

SOLD: Van Alstine Transcendence 8 DAC- Mint! SOLD!
« on: 12 Feb 2009, 06:07 am »
I have a like new AVA Transcendence DAC for sale.  I purchased it new from AVA in Nov. '08 and unfortunately have to sell now.  It's in mint condition and is the best sounding DAC I've heard for anywhere near it's price.  New, it sells for $1,249.  I'm listing it here for $945 $915   $899 $749 $699 w shipping included to the lower 48.   :drool:   I'm pretty new to AC and still trying to figure out how to post pictures here.  I've got it listed on audiogon so you'll be able to see pics.   Since I'm the original owner, the 3 yr. warranty will transfer to the next owner. 

Please feel free to ask any questions.

SOLD 3/3/09

« Last Edit: 4 Mar 2009, 05:50 am by Sense63 »

Sense63

Re: FS- Van Alstine Transcendence 8 DAC- Mint!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2009, 07:34 pm »
Price reduced to $915   $899 $749 $699.  This is the final price reduction  :duh: and no lowballers please....I won't respond.  If it doesn't sell at this price, then I'll keep it.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2009, 01:23 am by Sense63 »

martyo

Re: FS: Van Alstine Transcendence DAC- Mint! *Price reduced!!!*
« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2009, 07:55 pm »
Is this a T8 DAC (Transcendence 8 )? If so, I would correct your listening, there was a Transcendence DAC (no #)a few years back and this might be confusing.  8)

The serial # would also help.

Sense63

This is the newest T8 DAC.  It was made in Oct. '08 and purchased by me in Nov. '08 (new) directly from Frank.  Serial # 101608b
(I'm not sure Frank refers to this DAC as a T8 because on the back of mine, it's listed as "Transcendence DAC"--no T8 designated.)  You can see this on my listing on audiogon. 
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2009, 07:34 am by Sense63 »

Sense63

Final price reduction Bump.

orthobiz

Holy Cow! Price is close to HALF of new. Too bad I don't need it or I'd snap it up in a second.

Paul

pardales

Can anyone comment on how this DAC compares to the Insight DAC?  :scratch:

Sense63

Having talked with Frank quite a bit about it, he feels the ultra and the T8 are very close with the T8 having a slightly more "tube" sound.  Having said that, it doesn't mean the T8 has  an overly tube sound though.....just extremely musical.  Unfortunately, I can't comment on the Insight DAC compared to the T8.

Sense63

Sunday bump  ^^^^^Still available!

Big Red Machine

I need a DAC, is this gonna be adequate as compared to the Ultra?  Bad question.  I prefer a very crystal clear sound like a SS DAC provides.  I'd jump on this if it is not too tubey from the guys who have Frank's tubed DAC's.  What say you?  A great price for sure.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
I think you will like it Red, especially if you go for the latest "do it yourself" upgrade we are just about ready to announce.

The upgrade is to replace the AD817 op-amps in the first current to voltage amplifier section on the digital board with a pair of Burr Brown OPA627AP op-amps.  They provide a usefully more transparent sound, a nicer sound stage, and the removal of any trace of solid state dryness from the digital board.  The upgrade applies to all AVA DACs using these parts (Insight DACs, Ultra DACs, T8 DACS, and some older OmegaStar DACs).

The cost is $80 for those who dare risk changing out two 8-pin ICs and can be sure of getting them in place in the correct orientation and without bending any pins over.  If you don't like it, you can always reinstall the original chips.  No satisfaction guarantee on this one. The price breaks down as $70 for a pair of chips and $10 shipping.  You might even find the chips lower priced elsewhere.

The "Insight+" upgrade also applies to all Insight preamps too, two chips ($70) per audio section (line, and phono) not applicable to tape buffers.  The upgrade does not apply to any of our power amplifiers.  They do not use any op-amps at all.

Call me for more details at 651-330-9871.  I will post more info herein and at our web site in the next day or two.  All applicable new units are shipping with the Burr Brown chips now.  If you purchased in the last thirty days, the upgrade is free.  If you want us to do it, the bench charge is an additional $50 for the installation and bench testing.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

P.S.  All our DACs must use a solid state current to voltage first section because the signal level out of the Philips DAC chip is at too low a level to deal with with pure tubes.  The T8 and Ultra DACS follow this with tube and tube hybrid analog filters and analog output stages.  The Insight DAC is all solid state.

martyo

Frank, I'll take 2 for my Ultra, sent you a PM. aa