Ultimate 70 and Genalex KT77

boycephoto

Ultimate 70 and Genalex KT77
« on: 11 Feb 2009, 10:27 pm »
I am curious if anyone has used re-issue Genalex KT77's in their Ultimate 70?   Any comments you would like to share:  good, bad or ugly? 

Thanks
Dave in Kalamazoo

Wayner

Re: Ultimate 70 and Genalex KT77
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2009, 11:57 pm »
Where can you get those tubes at, Dave?

Wayner

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2009, 02:50 am »
google:  "Genalex KT77 tubes" for a lot of online dealers

boycephoto

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2009, 04:04 am »
Hey Wayner,

www.tubedepot.com, or thetubestore.com are a couple of places , there are many on line sources.  $200 for a quad.   Frank said he can't hear much difference in output tubes in the U70.  My original set was Sovtek, then I got a set of Winged C's.  I heard a big difference right away.  I have also used the re-issue Mullard EL34's they seem to be the same as the Winged C's, and appeared to be the same tube that is re labled.   I have read good things about the Genalex KT77's and was just wondering if someone has had first hand experience in a Ultimate 70.  Thanks for asking. 

Happy listening,
Dave in Kalamazoo

DeadFish

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2009, 09:16 am »
Howdy!
I've only recently acquired this combination and the amp came with the tubes.
I haven't had the heart to pull the tubes and try something... lesser and my experience with those tubes was with a vanilla ST-70, not the Ultimate.
I can tell you that I'm really grooving on the amp, and I find no fault at this time.  If we revisit this subject in a few months I might have something to tell you. 
Aw heck, I guess I'm gonna have to 'downgrade' now, just to find out!  :? heheh..
I'll let you know when I do.

Regards,
DeadFish

turkey

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2009, 01:38 pm »
I tried some of them there KT77s in my amp and they didn't work well at all. I couldn't even find the sockets to put the toobs in.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2009, 02:38 am »
I have been :drool: over these tubes for a while. The JJ's seem to get some good buzz but whenever GEC is mentioned people rave about them. So I've been watching eBay and one seller has new matched quads for just under $180 shipped. Of coarse I need to get some extra green in my bank so I watch these sell and get re-listed for the last few weeks. Well I finally get the cash in the bank and the seller hasn't re listed the quads. So again I type "KT77" into eBay search box and scroll thou the offerings. Well at the bottom of the page is a string of ads for DeepSurplus.com with $160 24Hr burned and matched quads. So $167 later I waiting on Genalex KT77's for my Dynaco Mk IV amps. More power to them! We'll see how they stack up to the Winged C's and maybe some Mullard xf2's.  :duel: Should be fun.  8)

boycephoto

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2009, 04:24 am »
Hey Listen2tubes,

Please let me know what you think of the Genalex KT77'S.  I also saw the ad for deepsurplus.com  good luck  aa

Listens2tubes

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2009, 01:52 am »
:D :D :D The Genalex Golden Lion KT77 matched quad arrived today from www.deepsurplus.com  :hyper: Packed in a 9 x 9 x 9 box. The quad was elastic banded together in a ziplock bag then wrapped in bubble wrap and surround with paper filler. They want these babies to make the trip and it works. They even sent a Thank You card with a package of Skittles candies to sweeten the deal even more.

I have installed them in my amps and will burn them, checking bias regularly, until Saturday. I will then let them run from morning till evening and finally sit for my first critical listen. Depending on logistics I will probably go another week burning and listening til next weekend when I'll switch back to the Winged C EL34's for further analysis.  :dance:

Hmm, when will I get to those XF2 Mullards?  :slap:

bluemike

« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2009, 03:06 am »
Listen
If you don't like the kt 77 let me know I would buy them off of you

Cheers
Pat

Listens2tubes

« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2009, 03:31 am »
I'm already liking them, unofficially of course, so be ready to be further enticed in a week or less. (Evil Laugh)  :lol:

boycephoto

« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2009, 01:40 am »
Hey Listen2tubes,

How are those Genalex KT77 sounding?

Dave

Listens2tubes

« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2009, 02:38 am »
Last Sunday three audio buddies converged here to carpool to the Feb. New Jersey Audio Society meeting. While I showed my amps to the two that had never been here before my friend Alan sat to listen. When we came back to the living room Alan remarked "You have a very balanced system." I had been listening but decided to wait another week.

OK after running the system all day today the time has come to sit and listen. Well the midrange is to die for! At first I thought vocals and lead brass instruments seem a bit forward. That's just more detail and definition of individual pieces. I'm noticing things in very familiar recordings I had not heard previously. Plus there seems to be just a bit more volume, had to turn it down two clicks from normal. :thumb: I'll take some reading with the sound meter and report back.

Next: I'll put the Winged C's back and hear what I've gained/lost. To do this fairly the C's will burn in the Marantz 8b for the day while I listen to the Genalex then out with the Gen's and in with the C's. Maybe tomorrow while it snows.

This work is just grueling, I wish you all could be here helping.  8)

boycephoto

« Reply #13 on: 1 Mar 2009, 03:35 am »
Thanks for the update,  I am starting to have a problem :drool:  Looking forward to the rest of your comments.  I have Winged C's in my U70 at the moment.  How does your U70 compair the the Marantz 8b?

Toys, Toys, Toys,  I hope I never grow up!!

Dave

Listens2tubes

« Reply #14 on: 1 Mar 2009, 10:46 pm »
I have not tried any modern tubes in the Marantz 8b, it came with Siemens EL34's and sounds quite nice with them. My primary amps are Dynaco MkIV's, the monoblock version of the Stereo70. Click on the web globe under my avatar to read about the MkIV mods.

The Winged C's have been my favorite in these amps for a while.  :thumb: The Gen KT77's are close with the midrange being the obvious differance.

I did'nt get time to set up the Marantz for burning the Winged C's for the hot swap comparison, so maybe next Sat. I'm in no hurry these Golden Lions are quite satisfying:inlove: