Roll call: Von Schweikert DB-99

keith

Roll call: Von Schweikert DB-99
« on: 10 Feb 2009, 06:19 am »
The DB-99 model was somewhat a novelty speaker in my opinion.  A great speaker for SET users if you ask me. Just curious how many DB-99 owners are out there.

I've thought of upgrading and selling mine, but just the thought of having the only DB-99 model in the Philippines, I just can't.   :duh:  Plus, what of the other SET amps I still own.   :scratch:

Any idea how many DB-99s were made?  Albert/Damon, maybe you can comment?  I recall getting mine and was surprised seeing the serial number was something like 0032L/0032R or something like that.

kgturner

Re: Roll call: Von Schweikert DB-99
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2009, 04:08 pm »
dB99 owner here. my serial numbers are 0011R/0011L i believe. i remember speaking to albert once about the dB99 and he said they were discontinued due to low volume. they are a fairly specialized speaker so it makes sense. i can't remember if he quoted me a number or not, but for some reason i'm thinking it was under 200 pairs sold.

kevin t

keith

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2009, 06:24 am »
Thanks Kevin. I wouldn't be surprised if there were less than 50 units manufactured, at least for the DB-99SE model.

So true that the DB-99 is a specialized speaker.  They are very versatile. We've tried them with as little as 1.5 watts using a 45 tube amp (not at headbang levels, but at decent decibel levels) to as high as 150-200 watts solid state power.  It's a pity it didn't catch on.  With its high sensitivity rating, it got labeled too much as a speaker system for SETs. 

Sadly, at least here in Manila, most of the SET owners are DIY guys, and they likewise go for DIY single driver speakers or DIY horn speakers to match them with.  So as a "branded" speaker for SET owners, it didn't really catch on.  We did have a couple of late queries, but by that time, the DB-99SE was already discontinued. 

kgturner

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2009, 11:40 pm »
keith:

there's another member here, pondfish, who also owns a pair of dB99's. he rarely posts though. i think he has like a total of 4 posts. btw, what finish do you have on your dB99's?

kevin t

keith

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2009, 05:13 am »
Hi Kevin.

I have the Walnut finish.  Originally wanted either the Ebony or the High Gloss Black.

Do you have the super tweeter/ribbon tweeter module?   

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2009, 02:09 pm »
I HAD one of the first pairs of dB99's that inc the supertweeter module in high gloss black.  Albert and the crew actually "painted" the woof black for me so the drivers looked matched,, top to bottom.  You go thru life flipping gear and every now and then you have regrets parting with equipment that could really put a smile on your face.  For me the dB's were that VSA model.  Small footprint, easy to drive with SET's or SS.  The beauty of dialing in the bass response and of course the rear firing tweeter made this speaker easy to place in ANY room.  The horn/hi sensitivity/SET crowd would not embrace this speaker and the SS crowd felt this speaker was designed for the tube audience.  I used this speaker matched with Wavac and Pacific Creek SET's, VAC, and Spectron.  Superb match with any amplifier!

The segway model now is the Unifield 3's!  Tubes or SS,, this is "modeled" after the big 9's in a way smaller package!  Spec ribbon tweet,, a horn lover's full range mid, and an outstanding woofer driver,, a 7 vs 10" (dB99).  Easy amplifier match, a touch more fussy with placement,, but the most transparent, 3D/holographic sounding speaker you'll find,, at any price!

Shortly, the VR4Anni's will be cranking..  VSA has it all!!

kgturner

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2009, 10:17 pm »
Do you have the super tweeter/ribbon tweeter module?   

i don't have the super tweeter module. i had asked damon if he could provide me with the schematic for the module so i could have the cabinet built and then send it to vsa for completion, but now i'm leaning towards a townshend super tweeter instead.

kevin t

keith

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2009, 12:39 am »
Hi Kevin.

I'd say the super tweeter takes the DB-99 to another level.  I currently use the Townshend super tweeter and I'm very happy with it.  Ideally would've wanted the VSA module but I took too long a time ordering it.  At that point I was still sampling power and pre amps, which was more a priority then.

On the Townshend, I really can't complain.  The Townshend is so small, it's unassuming on top of the DB-99. And it really just does the job.

My 2 cents  :-)

keith

« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2009, 07:56 am »
I HAD one of the first pairs of dB99's that inc the supertweeter module in high gloss black.  Albert and the crew actually "painted" the woof black for me so the drivers looked matched,, top to bottom.  You go thru life flipping gear and every now and then you have regrets parting with equipment that could really put a smile on your face.  For me the dB's were that VSA model.  Small footprint, easy to drive with SET's or SS.  The beauty of dialing in the bass response and of course the rear firing tweeter made this speaker easy to place in ANY room.  The horn/hi sensitivity/SET crowd would not embrace this speaker and the SS crowd felt this speaker was designed for the tube audience.  I used this speaker matched with Wavac and Pacific Creek SET's, VAC, and Spectron.  Superb match with any amplifier!

The segway model now is the Unifield 3's!  Tubes or SS,, this is "modeled" after the big 9's in a way smaller package!  Spec ribbon tweet,, a horn lover's full range mid, and an outstanding woofer driver,, a 7 vs 10" (dB99).  Easy amplifier match, a touch more fussy with placement,, but the most transparent, 3D/holographic sounding speaker you'll find,, at any price!

Shortly, the VR4Anni's will be cranking..  VSA has it all!!

Thanks for the comments Jack.   :)

JackD201

« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2009, 12:18 pm »
Hi there JackB,

Keith was tempted for a while to bring the UNi3s home. I said he could take the Uni's and the Lamm ML1.1s and send me the DB-99s and his ML2.1 SETs. The look on his face was priceless. It was that "Are we REALLY friends?" kind of look  :lol: :lol: :lol:  Well my good partner here did give it some thought but later found the DB-99s fit his SET amp hoarding, full orchestra lifestyle better :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't blame him at all. The DB-99s have that addicting, easily tunable bass weight. With the ML2.1s and the "hefty" 18 watts his set up is extremely fluid yet can also pound hard enough for him to get evicted. It's a magical system for sure. The guy just isn't a loudmouth like me and hardly talks about how good his system is. I found his system to be almost as intimate as the Maxx 2s driven by Lamm ML3s but overall found his system to be more flexible and actually more complete.

I wish the DB-99 wasn't discontinued. I would have wanted one for myself. Perhaps Albert can actually offer a VR-5 High Sensitivity package with powered bass modules and an MT crossover network that allows the AADs to run full throttle like the Aerogels do on the 99s. I'd be onboard for that. Definitely!

Cheers,

JackD

kgturner

« Reply #10 on: 7 Mar 2009, 04:03 am »
what power cord have you used with your dB99's? i have a relatively cheap volex cord on my pair. i find the vast majority of aftermarket (furutech, marinco, wattgate...) iec connectors don't fit due the proximity of the heat sinks on my pair.

kevin t

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #11 on: 7 Mar 2009, 03:34 pm »
Kevin,,, I had Analysis Plus use an "extended" connector on their pwr cord that was fit perfectly for the dB's.  It was no more expensive than their standard "oval" pwr cords just different connector....   Ck it out,, give them a call. 

Best,

Jack B
Houston

JPT

« Reply #12 on: 5 May 2009, 06:30 pm »
Hi all, another db99SE-owner here (high gloss black).

I really appreciate the weight and easy-on-the-ear detailed sound of these beauties. I have the original super tweeter add-on, but never got them to play nice. Too forward and energic... I ended up storing them away again. I guess this is due to room condition rather than the tweeter itself as i am forced to sit rather close to my speaker with a hefty toe-in to get that solid center image in my small room.

I must say that there was some clear advantages with the tweeter on, as slighlty more air and slighty better imaging, and (for some reason) the voices appeared somewhat higher up from the floor. But ultimately in my room i couldnt listen to them fore extended periods. The standard tweeters are excellent though so Im not that concerned :), a happy camper!

Happy listening VS-fellows!

honesthoff

« Reply #13 on: 5 May 2009, 08:11 pm »
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1246140352&/Von-Schweikert-dB-99-MK2-99-dB

There's a pair on Agon I've been eyeballing.  $5500 seems reasonable.

JPT

« Reply #14 on: 5 May 2009, 09:39 pm »
Yes, the price does seems reasonable. But is the MK2 the same model as the SE? There was some signifcant upgrades i believe to the woofer as compared to the original model... Perhaps someone can share insight?

keith

« Reply #15 on: 6 May 2009, 12:53 am »
Hi JPT,

In what finnish are your DBs in?   :thumb:

If memory serves me right, the mk2 and SE models were pretty much the same.  The upgrade from the mk1 I think was the new 10 inch woofer, which is the same woofer brand you see in the VR-5 and VR-9. I would think the crossover would've been tweeked a little too. Albert?  Care to chime in?

honesthoff,

Welcome.  :)  I saw that DB pair in A'gon over a year ago. Not sure if it's the same owner though. I would highly recommend giving them a listen if you can. As JackD201 mentioned previously in this thread, I had several chances of ponying up a little more cash to get new VS speakers, but opted to stick with the DB-99s. I honestly wasn't convinced that I would be upgrading. Again, this based on the SET amps I own. But if Albert were to make a high sensitivity VR-5 unit, then maybe ......

One thing I've noticed though with VS speakers, you really appreciate them more when you go up the ladder for your source and amplification. Quality electronics just elevate them to another level.

Cheers all!

JPT

« Reply #16 on: 6 May 2009, 07:39 pm »
Keith, thanks for chiming in and sharing info. Mine are high gloss black. I love the way they blend with the room due to small foot print (for a full range) and slender shape. Amazing to get that sound without filling the room with speaker bulk :). With the supertweeter they do appear noticeable taller and not as harmonic in their lines, but still good looking and on the smaller end of the scale of fullrange competition.

I drive them with tubes (octave v70 with black box (70w) and audio aero capitole SE) with great results. All the dynamics and transparency one could wish for (not having heard the vr9 or vr11 :) and sweet extended free from grain highs. I tried them with northstar monoblocks (100w) and gryphon callisto 2200 (230W), both great SS-amps with refined sound, but i found the sound a tad to dry with SS so far. Love the way the sound "hangs" in the air with my tube-gear. The db99s really change sound signature significantly when changing gear, so lots of possibilities to find something along your tastes there.

It would be exciting to hear them with even more refined tube-amping further "up the ladder". The octave is 5000usd approx and in my humble opinion good value, but as we all know there is lots of high(er) end tube-amps out there for later (and hopefully wealthier) times.

JPT

« Reply #17 on: 6 May 2009, 08:11 pm »
Added some pics in my gallery of the db:s. Guess most of us have seen them already, but what the heck, here goes: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1867  :wink:

kgturner

« Reply #18 on: 7 May 2009, 12:41 am »
the dB99 MkI looked a lot different from the MkII and SE. The MkII and SE have the same cabinet shape, but the SE has the upgraded magnesium woofer. for reference:

dB99 Mk.I

dB99 Mk.II

dB99 SE

keith

« Reply #19 on: 8 May 2009, 12:40 am »
thanks for clearing that up Kevin.  Looks like one  of the changes from mk1 and mk2 are the cabinets.  Drivers seem to be the same though ... but can't really tell from the pictures.  :duh:

Cheers