Your favorite smaller full range driver.

solomty

Re: Your favorite smaller full range driver.
« Reply #40 on: 12 May 2009, 11:55 pm »
Another potential driver for the short-list is the new budget Alpair the CHR70

These are freah to the market and little is known about them. They are relatively cheap thou. I sent an inquiry to get a pair today.

dave
:drool:[Keep  us  informed   x planet .

Christof

Re: Your favorite smaller full range driver.
« Reply #41 on: 13 May 2009, 05:36 am »
The CSS FR125s indeed is fine in the treble throughout the bandwidth. A driver I could be content with as in my main system.

I've not done a new speaker project for a couple of years. My Japanese pull saw is anxious to slice wood. Love the fragrance of fresh cut woods.

It looks like an Alpair might be a likable choice, but can't decide between the 6 or the 10--better treble or more bass?

FWIW, based on what I've heard from the little CHR70's,  I'd put my money on the Alpair 10s (of course with my HF hearing loss ,  I'd likely not miss much of any advantage the 6 might have over the 10)

Mark - I certainly your reaction to SRB's "blanket" statement (pun intended) - my own impression of the CSS FR125 is in comparison to the Fostex FE127E & FE126E, neither of which can be described as "shy violets" in the 3-10K range.  Sensitivity difference aside, I personally find the Fostex more "alive"  in this area, quite possibly for the aforementioned reason.     

I put a pair of Alpair5's in a small TL cabinet designed by Henkjan and I really enjoy them.