OB Servo Sub in-wall

dvenardos

OB Servo Sub in-wall
« on: 7 Feb 2009, 09:01 pm »
OB subs are a different animal all together and have a clean transparent quality that a boxed sub just doesn't do. The OB servo subs hit hard but don't load the room. It is clean and tight with great extension but doesn't knock anything off the walls. It truly is something special.

This is exactly the kind of bass that I like. I prefer to keep the things on the wall and listen to my music/movies not rattles.
I have no room for the OB designs because I cannot pull out my speakers/subs 3' from the wall in my listening area (aka living room), but I do have a spot on the upper rear portion of the right hand wall where I could put dual SW-12-16FR. The spot opens up to attic space behind the wall. Of course, it is not like you can move them around once installed to get better bass response.

What do you guys think?

Danny Richie

Re: OB Servo Sub in-wall
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2009, 04:48 pm »
This is one of the applications that the SW-12-16FR's were designed for. It will work as well, if not better than any other woofer for that application.

dvenardos

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2009, 04:57 pm »
This is one of the applications that the SW-12-16FR's were designed for. It will work as well, if not better than any other woofer for that application.

Thanks Danny. I guess it is more of a question as to is it a good idea given the other options? Is it a crap shoot if you get good bass response from your chosen location? It would be really disappointing to go through all that work and then have lousy bass. On the other hand, if it does work it would be just what I am looking for.

Don

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2009, 05:12 pm »
A couple of things are certain. It will be flat to 20Hz and probably not 3db down until 15 or 16Hz. And it will have incredibly good control like no other sub out there. This servo system makes them stop on a dime. I can't imagine it being lousy in any way.

dvenardos

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2009, 05:19 pm »
 :thumb: Sounds like I will be planning new holes in my wall.  aa

fcraven

• Don't mess with this baritone
« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2009, 09:30 pm »

So that makes me wonder, if you could put in a side wall where you have open air on the other side (like part of the roof ) why not mount it in the ceiling? (with an appropriate dust guard).

Although I "Shudder" to think what the neighbors might have to say about that...

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2009, 09:41 pm »
Although I "Shudder" to think what the neighbors might have to say about that...

You'd defiantly feel it in other parts of the house too.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2009, 09:49 pm »
 If you are going to install IB drivers would it be best if more than one driver, perhaps 3 or more are installed in different locations, like the AudioKinesis Swarm, so that the room nodes are canceled?

-Roy

dvenardos

« Reply #8 on: 9 Feb 2009, 10:48 pm »
So that makes me wonder, if you could put in a side wall where you have open air on the other side (like part of the roof ) why not mount it in the ceiling? (with an appropriate dust guard).

In my case, the ceiling in my listening room is a mini (very gentle slope) sealed cathedral ceiling so their is no attic space. 7" from ceiling to roof and running wires involves lots of drywall work.

dvenardos

« Reply #9 on: 27 Feb 2009, 09:44 pm »
Good info here on designing an IB subwoofer:
http://home.comcast.net/~infinitelybaffled/page2IB-IBmanifold.html