Apple TV with external DAC?

oldmp3

Apple TV with external DAC?
« on: 6 Feb 2009, 08:43 pm »
Using an Apple TV with Apple Lossless, optical out to a "mid-fi" receiver (Denon 988) - internal DAC.

I'm looking for comments, experiences, and recommendations from members who have used a standalone DAC with the Apple TV as a "step up".

Thank you.

Mark

Crimson

Re: Apple TV with external DAC?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2009, 09:48 pm »
I have an Apple TV in the family room that's feeding a Scott Nixon TubeDac via an inline toslink-coax converter to a Sony surround preamp. It sounds quite a bit better than the dacs in the Sony.

geofstro

• Sound Galleries: High-End Audio in Monaco
« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2009, 06:01 pm »
I'm using mine with an Altmann Attraction DAC with the Toslink options and the JISCO anti jitter circuit engaged. The Altmann is powered by a Paul Hynes PS rather than the car battery. The results are excellent.

jhm731

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2009, 07:37 pm »
Apple TV Transport w/iTouch remote, AIFF optical out -> upgraded Genesis Technologies Digital Lens ->
Aberdeen Tact RCS 2.2XP-> Aberdeen TacT Signature S2150.

Sounds great on AIFF and Internet radio playback.

oldmp3

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2009, 05:20 pm »
Thank you all for your responses.   Any experiences/opinions under $500 DACs, especially in the used market?

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2009, 05:33 pm »
My only experience has been with the Ack Dack 1.2d and the 2.0.  I liked my Bolder Cable modified Squeezebox better, and I didn't have to remember to turn off the DAC (which is battery powered).  By the way, I'll sell you my Ack Dack 2.0 for $150 + shipping.  You could try it out and sell it for more money if you didn't like it.  HOWEVER, this requires an analog and not optical input, so you'd have to have an intermediary optical-to-analog converter. 

Crimson

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2009, 05:56 pm »
Thank you all for your responses.   Any experiences/opinions under $500 DACs, especially in the used market?

The Scott Nixon TD2 (tube dac) is $495 new:

http://www.scott-nixon.com/dac.htm