ESOTERIC / BRYSTON ASSOCIATION

Katonoma

ESOTERIC / BRYSTON ASSOCIATION
« on: 6 Feb 2009, 11:19 am »
Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you have had the opportunity to try ESOTERIC integrated SACD/CD players  (X01 D2, X03SE or newly X05) with BRYSTON amps and pre amp (BP26 & 7BSST/28SST for instance)  and if ever you would recommend the association or not ?

Thanks for your inputs.

Chris

rob80b

Re: ESOTERIC / BRYSTON ASSOCIATION
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2009, 06:14 pm »
Hi  Chris

The above were high on my list as well as the SA60 when I decided to replace my VRDS-20 after 13 years of service, on casual listening they sounded fine but just before pulling the trigger I took a leap of faith and went for Bryston’s own BCD-1.
Unless you need SACD, the BCD-1 is a stellar performer and will save you a bundle over the TEACs.

Robert
Toronto

fwd

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2009, 09:05 pm »
I have Esoteric SA-60 feeding BP-25/4BSST thru balanced cables. It shines. Esoteric's digital filters (RDOT+FIR) do fantastic job on redbook discs. SACD is even better. The only thing I am not keen on is PCM to DSD filter. It seems to make more mud than music.
Taking in mind the players you mentioned are more advanced than SA-60 you should expect great results.
Caveat: The sound of this setup will never be called: "warm".

rob80b

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2009, 10:35 pm »
Hi FWD

Curious if you had a chance to compare the SA-60 to the  BCD-1.
I almost picked a DV-60 up to kill two birds with one stone, CD and DVD playback, to replace my VDRS-20 and Oppo 980.
In the end, as I mentioned, I opted for the BCD-1, almost from the toss of a coin.
Given the quality of high-end players today it almost comes down to aesthetic appeal and I’m quite sure Chris would be happy with any of the units listed, but there’s always the dreaded what if…

Robert

« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2009, 12:40 am by rob80b »

fwd

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2009, 12:14 pm »
Hi Rob,
I got my SA-60 in February 2007. If I recall correctly Bryston's player wasn't market ready then. In addition, I've accumulated 200+ sacds and needed something that reproduced the format.
I did not compare the two players directly but BCD-1 reviews and comments are nearly universally positive.

Katonoma

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2009, 12:25 pm »
Hi  Chris

The above were high on my list as well as the SA60 when I decided to replace my VRDS-20 after 13 years of service, on casual listening they sounded fine but just before pulling the trigger I took a leap of faith and went for Bryston’s own BCD-1.
Unless you need SACD, the BCD-1 is a stellar performer and will save you a bundle over the TEACs.

Robert
Toronto

hi rob,

Interesting point of view  :)

As a matter of fact, I have owned a X01-D2 that I had before the  recent BP26/28BSST set .

I once couldn't be happier with the ESOTERIC/PASS combo I had before but it seems to me that all the dry, hyperarticulate  and almost analytical side of the X01-D2 just popped up at my face when combined with the BRYSTON set. It has defintitely a bright aspect I'm not very fond of....

I have then traded a friend's X-05 CDP  (that + a of few thousand  of euros added :-) )

I had listened the X-05 in his system and it sounded much to the kind of sound I 'm looking forward to

It's now  better but still not on the warm side as I like it. The X05 uses the same DAC as the BCD-1 so maybe that's one of the reasons, I don't know.

Now I wonder if i wouldn't sell the X-05 and just go for the BCD-1.

This said, the THIEL's 3.7 on which all this is hooked on don't forgive anything....

Any thoughts on which way to go to?

Chris

rob80b

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2009, 01:56 pm »
Hi Chris,

I’ve always found that if a similar chip sets were incorporated in different machines the out come was almost identical if well implemented. Case in point, I had always found myself gravitating toward manufacturers who had used Bitstream technology at the time as in the VRDS20, which I much preferred over TEAC’s higher end models, so you may indeed find the BCD-1 on par with the X-05.
My decision to go with the Bryston was mostly due to their attention on the analogue output stage and in many ways a as I mentioned a leap of faith, it was tough decision as I’ve always loved the operation and build quality of the TEAC/Esoteric units.
If you are content with the X-05, I’d call it a day and be happy with your current setup unless you really want a Bryston though.

Robert

Toronto