DVD Recomendations (concerts and or performances)

china

DVD Recomendations (concerts and or performances)
« on: 6 Feb 2009, 05:41 am »
Hello AudioCircle,

I hope that this finds everyone in the best of health and spirits and that all is well with you and yours.

I am in the process of setting a home theater system, which is neither here nor there.......
but.......what I am really after are DVD recommendations and of particular interest are music and concerts or performances that have come out on a DVD.

One that comes to mind is........"James Blunt" "Chasing Time" "The Bedlam Sessions"!!!!

If you have any recommendations.......please list the recommendation(s) and the why???

As always, all the best.

China

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: DVD Recomendations (concerts and or performances)
« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2009, 07:55 am »
WOODSTOCK,, The mother of all concerts and arguably one of the biggest cultural events in history can be purchased on DVD here.

Cheers,
Robin

rockadanny

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2009, 12:46 pm »
The Band - The Last Waltz
Superb music and performances, and Muddy Waters.
I'm too lazy today to say more so I'll let AMG tell you why ...
Martin Scorsese's documentary of The Band's final concert on Thanksgiving Day, 1976, is one of the greatest films ever made about rock & roll. Throughout the movie, Scorsese's fascinating interviews with Band members illuminate why the group couldn't stay together any longer. But the performances from the group and their musical guests are what make this really special. Dr. John, Ronnie Hawkins, Muddy Waters, Neil Young, Van Morrison, and the show-stopping finale by Bob Dylan are quite outstanding.

rockadanny

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2009, 12:56 pm »
And a non-concert movie that every red-blooded musicphile should own: Ghost World.
The opening scene is a partial performance of a 1960's (east, not American) Indian rock-and-roll video.
The DVD has the entire performance as an added feature.
It is a SCREAM! You don't even need to watch the movie. Just the several minute performance video is worth the cost of the DVD.
However, the movie is well worth seeing (Terry Zwigoff, Scarlett Johansson, Steve Buscemi).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162346/

I was watching the movie alone when my wife walked through the room.
She paused and said (of Buscemi), "Hey, that's you."  :oops:

One of my favorite scenes is the flippant remark/handling of the R. Crumb record album.
Knowing that Zwigoff plays banjo on the album is what makes it funny.

rockadanny

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2009, 01:52 pm »
And a DVD every jazz lover would enjoy, "Jazz on a Summer's Day". The music performances are wonderful, and even the background music when the camera takes a brief jaunt over to the Cup races. Wonderful music and superb, mega-colorful visuals too.
Still lazy so I'll let AMG chime in,
Anita O'Day (her inventive rendition of "Tea for Two" was one of the high points of her career), Dinah Washington (quite strong and humorous on "All of Me" with Terry Gibbs), the Jimmy Giuffre Three, Chico Hamilton's Quintet with Eric Dolphy, Sonny Stitt, Gerry Mulligan, Mahalia Jackson, Louis Armstrong (doing "Rockin' Chair" with Jack Teagarden) ...

sfox50

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2009, 02:05 pm »
I'll recommend an older DVD- King Crimson's "deja-VROOM". It was released in 1999, ninety minutes long. Great sound & loaded with extra features & viewing angle / sound focus options.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2009, 05:42 pm »
I'll second the King Crimson Deja-Vroom recommendation.

A few others I keep going back to:

Rush in Rio - if only to see 100,000 people jumping in waves to the music for nearly three straight hours in a driving rain.

Peter Gabriel, Secret World - I get goosebumps just thinking about it

Blue Man Group, the Complex Tour - the BMG/Venus Hum rendition of I Feel Love is a barn-burner

Speaking of barn-burners, the "Wild Mike" scene is the animated movie Barnyard is an absolute hoot and a great HT workout.

Russ

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2009, 05:58 pm »
Blue Man Group DVD-A called (very simply....) "AUDIO"

KODO - "One Earth Tour" (also a good sub torture test)  :icon_twisted:

Pink Floyd - anything really. This one has 'average' video, and 'average' audio quality. However, if you're a Pink Floyd fan, this is the BEST show you'll ever see.

rockadanny

« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2009, 06:39 pm »
KODO - saw these people live a few years back. Tremendous show.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10 on: 7 Feb 2009, 07:10 pm »
WOODSTOCK,, The mother of all concerts and arguably one of the biggest cultural events in history can be purchased on DVD here.

Cheers,
Robin
To which I would add The Complete Monterey Pop Festival (don't miss the outakes of Jefferson Airplane and, especially, Laura Nyro's ballad).  A movie about the making of a fictional band with good sound- The Commitments.  And if a portrait of a legendary jazz singer is up your alley, Lady Day- The Many Faces of Billie Hoilday.  The making of "Possibilities" with Herbie Hancock and a gang of musicians not usually seen this creative is way cool for artists thinking out loud.  I knows Robin would agree on that rec.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #11 on: 9 Feb 2009, 04:03 pm »
If you like a range of music, any of the Crossroads Guitar Festival DVDs. Also, the Derek Trucks Band, Songlines Live and Fleetwood Mac, The Dance.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #12 on: 9 Feb 2009, 04:15 pm »
An even older King Crimson performance that is incredible (although the video is only average quality) is Three Of A Perfect Pair:  Live in Japan 1984.  That performance was only available on laserdisc until the DVD called "Neil and Jack and Me" came out that includes both that performance (Three of a Perfect Pair: Live in Japan 1984) and their earlier The Noise: Live in Frejus 1982.  If you love Robert Fripp, Tony Levin, Adrian Belew or the incredible Bill Bruford (or any combination thereof   :) ) then get it. 

I'm also a big fan of the over-mentioned but wonderful Roy Orbison And Friends :A Black and White Night.  The Jackson Browne-led backing vocals (nicely mixed in the side/rear channels) that start out the disc (Only The Lonely) just set the tone for the incredibly tight evening to follow.  The cast of all-stars sound like they've been playing together for years, and Roy...well..Roy is Roy.   :thumb:

Speaking of Tony Levin:   +1 on PG's Secret World.  Peter's performance of the title cut, plus Washing Of The Water are worth the price of admission.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 9 Feb 2009, 04:39 pm »
Best of Sessions at W54th Vol. 1 is a fun concert disc too.  Great eclectic collection of performances, including my three of my fave video performances ever, the Ghostyhead-era Rickie Lee Jones doing Road Kill, a great solo by Richard Thompson (I Feel So Good) and Shawn Colvin's Diamonds In the Rough with a very very nice guitar/bass accompaniment.  Very kewl disc (and rentable via Blockbuster online...as are a lot of these picks...Woodstock, A Black and White Night, Deja Vroom, etc.).

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #14 on: 9 Feb 2009, 05:49 pm »
Don't forget Ani Difranco on V1 of Sessions.

V2 of Sessions is also great with The Mavericks, Ozomati, and Neil Finn.  The Imani Coppola tune is one the most amazing Chemically-enhanced performances I've ever seen. 8)

Russ

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 9 Feb 2009, 06:02 pm »
Don't forget Ani Difranco on V1 of Sessions.

V2 of Sessions is also great with The Mavericks, Ozomati, and Neil Finn.  The Imani Coppola tune is one the most amazing Chemically-enhanced performances I've ever seen. 8)

Russ

True, the whole disc is great..Ani Difranco, Suzanne Vega (Caramel...great song from a great album), Daniel Lanois, Wynton Marsalis, and on and on.

rlmacklin

« Reply #16 on: 9 Feb 2009, 08:11 pm »

Vivaldi: The Four Seasons ~ Julia Fischer (DVD - 2004)
(Note :Amazon.com indicates 'This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer." but they have one listed).
Superb young violinist Julia Fischer leading the chamber orchestra of the "Academy of St. Martin in the Fields" at the National Botanic Gardens of Wales.  Beautiful composition ... beautiful interpretation and
wonderful playing.  The video options include a straight "concert version" and a "director's cut" with scenes of nature appropriate to each of the four seasons added...

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Live at the Quick (2002)
Bela on banjo and his bandmates (Victor Wooten on electric bass, "Futureman" Roy Wooten on "drumitar" and percussion, and Jeff Coffin on saxophones, etc.) and their guests [including Sandip Burman on tabla, Andy Narell on steel pans, Paul McCandless on various wind instruments and Cogar ol'Ondar (Tuvan throat signing)] are all virtuosi. Great performances and sound--- interwoven with interviews of the individuals/insight into how the group works together producing some of the most creative "fusion" out there.

Mike19

• Carbona, not glue.
« Reply #17 on: 14 Feb 2009, 07:23 am »
Alice In Chains Unplugged

An Evening With The Dixie Chicks

The Dance - Fleetwood Mac

Live In Sydney - Kylie Minogue

Airborn

« Reply #18 on: 14 Feb 2009, 08:41 am »
Eagles, Hell Freezes Over

Pink Floyd, Pulse

Led Zepplin, 2 disc set - Live at Royal Albert Hall 1970 and Madison Square Garden 1973

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds, Live at Radio City (Blu-Ray).