Dolby Labs chooses BRYSTON and PMC for their World Tour

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
PRESS RELEASE

Complementary Acoustics
Stories by Dick Tan

Dolby Laboratories, the audio research company which introduced Dolby Noise Reduction, Dolby Stereo, Dolby Surround, Dolby Digital and the current high-resolution loss-less Dolby Tru-HD digital surround sound format, has given a major endorsement to Canada’s Bryston by using its amplifiers in its popular Playback Reference Suite during audio-visual trade shows held around the world.

According to Dolby’s senior manager, AV and print production John Loose, a pair of PMC MB2-XBD monitors were used for the main left and right channels with a MB2 speaker for the centre channel of the Playback Reference Suite.

This seven-channel system for Dolby Labs includes up to six surround speakers, which are handled by PMC’s Wafer 2 flat-panel speakers.

To drive this large ensemble of high-accuracy, high-performance speakers, Dolby Labs used a trio of Bryston 7B-SST amplifiers.  A singular multi-channel Bryston 875 amplifier drove the surround speakers.            

According to Dolby Labs, this system was last heard at its Reference Playback Suite at the recent Consumers Electronics Show 2009 in the United States.

The company explained that as PMC speakers and Bryston electronics are used by most movie soundtrack mastering studios, the use of the same speakers and electronics would accurately replicate the sonic impact as intended by the movie.

Dolby Labs also pointed out that the system was set up and calibrated by acoustician Bob Hodas of Hodas Acoustic Analysis. Hodas selected the Wafer 2 for its ease of mounting onto side and rear walls and acoustic match to the MB2 series speakers.

« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2009, 06:47 pm by James Tanner »

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
Re: Dolby Labs chooses BRYSTON and PMC for thier World Tour
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2009, 10:00 pm »
I don't know how many/if any Audio Circle members had the chance to go to CEDIA or CES...  But their room sounded amazing!... If I don't say so myself...  It was short and sweet, straight to the point.  The Dolby Volume technology is really quite cool as well.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2009, 05:50 am »
I was at CES, but I had no idea about this booth! Well, too late now...

mjosef

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2009, 06:27 am »
The Dolby Labs had a very long line for their demo on Friday, I wanted to see other stuff so passed up on the 45minute wait time.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2009, 06:51 am »
Where were they? At the Convention Center or the Venetian?

mjosef

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2009, 07:00 am »
COnvention Center...South Hall I think.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2009, 12:29 pm »
I was just thinking (it hurt like hell) :lol::

At this years 2009 CES we had feedback from many attendees and reviewers that the 'Thiel' demo room, the 'Magnepan' demo room the 'Bryston' demo room and the 'Dolby Labs' demo room all sounded excellent.

Wonder what amplifier product was common in all these systems?

james

PMCIB2fan

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2009, 06:37 pm »
James,

I got to hear the Dolby demo and was very impressed.

Why did they use one 8 channel 875ht over say 3  2 channel 3b sst's or 3  two channel 4b sst's for the 6 PMC Wafer 2 surounds?

I doubt cost was a factor and they were already lugging a ton of equipment around so no biggie there as well.

As an aside, what processor is Dolby using for this demo? Not many have Dolby volume.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2009, 06:40 pm »
James,

I got to hear the Dolby demo and was very impressed.

Why did they use one 8 channel 875ht over say 3  2 channel 3b sst's or 3  two channel 4b sst's for the 6 PMC Wafer 2 surounds?

I doubt cost was a factor and they were already lugging a ton of equipment around so no biggie there as well.

As an aside, what processor is Dolby using for this demo? Not many have Dolby volume.

Hi,

Good questions - I am not sure - Maybe Ian at PMC would know?
As for the 875 I assume it was a power handling issue and the ability to do all surround channels with a single box.

james

mvwhiting_83

• PMC Speakers
« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2009, 06:49 pm »
I believe that since there are currently only two companies with avr's or pre/pro's with the Dolby Volume capability...  The companies being Arcam and HK.  I think they were using the Arcam processor.

PMCIB2fan

Re: Dolby Labs chooses BRYSTON and PMC for their World Tour
« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2009, 07:08 pm »
Thanks guys.

Ian any thoughts on why they chose the 875 to power the Wafer 2's?

I'm sure it is a good amp, but not in the quite the same class as three 3bs or  three 4bs.

Looking into the Arcam processor it appears Dolby used either the available 600 AVR or the as yet unavailable new 888 AVP.  I'm betting 888 AVP prototype since it has balanced XLR connections that would work well with the Brystons.

mvwhiting_83

• PMC Speakers
Re: Dolby Labs chooses BRYSTON and PMC for their World Tour
« Reply #11 on: 7 Feb 2009, 12:54 am »
The 875 was a nice all in one package... Yeah Dolby can pretty much do whatever they want, but why lug a bunch stereo power when you can have the equally competent multi channel.  I don't how many of you guys, besides Mr. Tanner, have had the wonderful pleasure of packing, unpacking, then repacking everything for an event :|, let alone however many Dolby has taken on as of late... Bryston 875 please! 8)