Impressions of unit #1 Bella Phono stage

toobluvr

Re: Impressions of unit #1 Bella Phono stage
« Reply #20 on: 5 Mar 2009, 01:36 pm »
John,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Bella.  Your observations especially the ability of the Bella to offer whatever sonic characteristic of the tube you roll.  By the way, I previously owned a Blueberry Extreme and your observations of its sonic character matched mine. I also agree with your sonic observations of the Bella.

I must add that any potential Bella buyer should consider the stock tubes as a starting point. To obtain the best from this phono preamp, you should be prepared to invest in a good 12AX7 and a matching 12AU7.  I think many would be happy with a Sovtek 12AX7LPS or a new Mullard 12AX7 and any of the 12AU7 tubes that I included in my review of Unit 2 or John’s review of Unit 1.  One can still purchase phono grade NOS 12AU7s at a reasonable cost compared to the NOS 12AX7s in phono grade condition.  As John observed in his review above, the Bella phono is one of the easiest preamps to roll tubes.

During my review of Unit 2, I made a choice to limit the 12AX7 to the Sovtek 12AX7LPS because it is extremely quiet.  Some of the 12AU7 tubes that I rolled did contribute to the tube noise that I experienced in my systems. When I inserted a phono grade 12AU7, I only heard tube noise with my ear to the speakers.  Keep in mind that I am using 96dB efficient speakers so any tube noise is easily heard as gain is increased. 

I thought the Bella tube noise was actually pretty good.....at least compared to my Blueberry.

It was the hum that surprised me.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #21 on: 5 Mar 2009, 03:54 pm »
First I want to thank those of you who have provided such a thorough evaluation of the Bella Phono. It is this type of feedback that helps one grow by listening to it's consumers.

The first subject I want to comment on is tubes (as well as power cords). I will not try to defend the use of standard current production tubes but will explain the reasoning. As has been made very apparent throughout these evaluations, tube rolling is very effective and noticeable in the Bella Phono but also, everyone has their preferences. The use of current production tubes is simply to offer a product that is ready to plug in and use. I realize that everyone will want to roll tubes so I found no reason to supply the unit with premium tubes. What I may find to be an exceptional tube(s) in this unit may not be to another's liking. Therefore, why should a consumer pay the additional cost of premium tubes only to yank them out and install their favorite. Using current production tubes also provides the user with a comparison point to be better able to appreciate the Bella Phono's ability to distinguish between different tubes. Again, this also applies to the power cord.

Regarding the noise, I will have to wait till everone has submitted their findings. Seeing how the Bella Phono behaves in numerous systems will indicate more on the noise levels. Testing the unit and using in my systems showed very little to no audible noise which was also dependant on tubes and associated equipment.

As far as the gain is concerned, this will also be system dependant. The Bella Phono was deigned and voiced for our Purity Preamps (and others) which have a high(er) output gain. Our new entry level Purity L/P has the Bella Phono circuit built in providing a total gain of 50-55dB which works very nicely with most high output MC cartridges and obviously all MM setups. For low output MC and some higher output MC cartridges, the forcoming MC version will be better suited.

Sonic Signature

This is where all the evaluations have been right on the mark. The goal with the Bella Phono was to fall in line with the signature of our Purity Series in regard to a clean, crisp, fast presentation without too much bloom. We wanted resolution, transparency, speed and detail without going dry and analytical.

Again I want to thank everyone in this tour for their thoughtful and thourough evaluations. We still have a few more to go and I am very much looking forward to the last few words.

BobM

« Reply #22 on: 8 Mar 2009, 12:18 am »
I had a few people over today to listen to the Musica Bella, then handed it off to Mariusz for the last leg of the journey. I did enjoy my time with it while I had it. As I said before in my previous post, it is really responsive to tube rolling. This is good, because the stock tubes pretty much stink. Getting good sound out of the unit means using good tubes. And the use of a good power cord and perhaps some conditioning should be considered as well.

The one area that I found lacking was in the bass and slam of the unit. I really think that could be improved quite a bit. Perhaps beefing up the power supply would help.

All in all I'm glad I had the opportunity, so thank you very much for including me on the list.

I've asked the others who were over to my place to also post their impressions of what they heard here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65698.new#new

Bob 
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2009, 01:43 pm by BobM »

Mariusz

« Reply #23 on: 11 Mar 2009, 03:01 am »
The phono is warming up in my "lab" system.
Looks good, sounds good.

Getting ready for setup with my DIY TT set-up.
More to fallow soon.

Mariusz :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #24 on: 16 Mar 2009, 03:23 pm »
Intro.

First of all thank You Bill for opportunity to audition your new phonostage - Bella.

Respond Audio is in the business for a while now but unfortunately my experience with their products is limited to Bella phonostage only.
Our roads almost crossed ones before when Emerald Physics came out with their OB speakers and Bill became a dealer.
My buddy was looking for a pair of speakers within certain price range and requirements at the time, so I recommend these speakers as a must listen and Respond Audio because I thought it would be an interesting place for audition. That conversation happened over the phone while wondering through Alexis Park Hotel demo rooms during 2008 CES in Las Vegas. That audition never took place since there was another dealer which was closer and it did not interfere  with territory issues.
To bad as I was really looking forward to hear some of the gear in Bill's demo room.

One of the reasons I felt that it would have been a great experience was Bill's philosophy, simplistic approach and tweaker mentality.
I am tweaker at heart and IMHO Bill is too. Always looking for ways to make things sound better, different and occasionally screw things up to unprecedented proportions. But that is the part of the game. It doesn't matter if you loose a few battles as long as it leads to victory and ultimate satisfaction (leaving as tweakers scratching our head and running out of ideas). 

I really hope the Bella phonostage tour and "impressions thread" feedbacks will accomplish two things.

1. Provide potential and future users with valuable information, tips and recommendations regarding Bella phonostage.
2. Provide Bill Baker of Respond Audio with enough hints and recommendations to make this particular phono even better.

Having said that. I understand certain aspects and difficulties which are unavoidable part of design, especially in the entry level products like Bella phonostage. There are few things which I consider when building or shopping for new product.
How will it stock up against the competition, its value, build quality and reliability.
Of coarse there is also performance and synergy with the rest of my system or at least comparability with the kind of gear which I use or am considering in the future.

Matching components to get the most out of your system can prove to be long and exhausting process as most of you know.  And there is very good chance that you will go through many brands and components before finding the right puzzle pieces which will fit perfectly together. 
Does it mean that one component is superior  over the other ? In my opinion, not necessary. If we could categorized and grade components that easily, we would use the "Golden Formula" to satisfy our taste, budget and avoid unnecessary costly mistakes. Unfortunately we are human and if there was only three audiophiles on this Planet, I will bet you they would settle on completely different components, speakers and budget. I would go as far as to say that they would most likely invent website called something like "Audio Circle" and use it for discussions and arguments ................ not necessary  audio related. 

I guess the point I am trying to make is that there is no Holly Grail when it comes to audio and what works for me may or may not work for YOU. 

to be continue

Mariusz

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #25 on: 16 Mar 2009, 05:32 pm »
1. Provide potential and future users with valuable information, tips and recommendations regarding Bella phonostage.

That's what this site is all about :D

2. Provide Bill Baker of Response Audio with enough hints and recommendations to make this particular phono even better.

Exactly. That was the purpose of having an audition tour. My goal is to develop a product that fits the needs and goals of the end user. While no one product can meet everyones needs, we strive to make any given product the best it can be within a price point.

to be continue

Can't wait :green:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #26 on: 19 Mar 2009, 02:13 pm »
Provide Bill Baker of Response Audio with enough hints and recommendations to make this particular phono even better.

I want everyone to know the feedback has led to improvements addressing the aspects mentioned. The link below will take you to the follow up.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=66102.0

Mariusz

« Reply #27 on: 20 Mar 2009, 01:05 am »
                                                         Components

(As mentioned by Bill in the above 2 posts, Bella "Beta" unit will undergo some changes/improvements.
Changes which Bill says will address the minor issues found by fellow AC members and which will make the Bella a more polished product.
My evaluation is based solely on my impressions with Beta unit send for the "east-cost tour".)

Most of my listening was done on my headphone setup using Stax Lambda Pro Headphones & Stax SRM-1 MK II amplifier.
The other setup included AAD monitors, my daughter's OB speakers which use just received OmnesAudio L8/Planet_10 modified drivers, SD1s raw/unfinished speakers, modified Consonance Cyber 800 monos, Melody 300b monos, RWA Sig.30, Trends Audio TA 10.1 Tri-path, RWA Isabella/Isabellina pre/dac, Consonance Ref. 40 phono, Creek OBH-9 with OBH-2 external power supply
and DIY turntable(s), MC Goldring Eroica H Cartridge, CartridgeMan MusicMaker MkIII iron with Isolator ( and if time permits - SoundSmith SMMC-1 iron. But it won't be here until next week and I think that Bella will be returned by then), SME 3009 II Imp tone arm, Moerch Up-4 tone arm. Will also try it on my Red Devil DIY but Bocabearingss send me the 6mm ceramic ball bearings (Silicone Nitrite Si3N4) instead of 8mm & 9mm (the 2nd shipment should arrive tomorrow)

Cartridges spects:

Eroica H

Frequency Response   20Hz-22kHz±3dB
Channel Balance   1dB max. @ 1kHz
Channel Separation   25dB @ 1kHz
Sensitivity   2.5mV±1dB, 1kHz @ 5 cm/sec
Static Compliance   18mm/N
Equivalent tip mass   0.6 mg
Vertical Tracking Angle   20°
Stylus Radius   Gyger II
Stylus Type   Non-Replaceable
Load Resistance   47,000 Ohm
Load Capacitance   100-500pF
Internal Inductance   0.2 mH
Internal Resistance   77 Ohm
Cartridge Weight   5.5g
Fixing Centre   0.5�? (12.7mm)
Playing Weight   1.5-2.0g (1.7g nom.)

Cartridgeman Musicmaker MkIII

Output voltage 4mV
Frequency response 10Hz - 50KHz
Stereo separation >25dB across 10Hz to 30KHz range
Loading requirement 47K Ohm (standard moving magnet)
Cartridge weight 6.2g
Stylus type proprietary extended contact area diamond
Tracking force 1.58g +/- 0.05g (critical)
Arm requirement medium to low mass (13g or less)
Bias (anti-skate) requirements minimal

if arrives on time SoundSmith SMMC-1

Stylus   Contact Line Nude, 0.100mm SQ
Radius of curvature   Optimized Contour Contact Line
Cantilever   Ruby
Recommended Tracking force:   10mN / 1.0 gm (high)
13mN / 1.3 gm (medium)
Effective tip mass   0.30 mg
Compliance   28 µm/mN (high)
22 µm/mN (medium)
Frequency response   20-20,000 Hz ± 2.5 dB
Channel Separation
(stereo only)   1000 Hz >28 dB
50-15,000 >20 dB
Channel difference   <1.2 dB (Stereo)
<1.0 dB (Mono)
Output voltage   >0.6 mV/cm/sec.
5 cm/sec. Lat. RMS   >2.12 mV
Cartridge weight    6.8 grams
Load:   Resistance >/= 47 kohms
Capacity >/= 400 pF

I also had an opportunity to audition Bella in (BobM) Bob's system where she was accompanied by Hagerman Trumpet and modified Jolida phonostages. It was a prelude of things to come. However, it is hard to judge an audio component in completely unfamiliar system which was tweaked and voiced to pleased its owner. Even if i was familiar with every single component in Bob's system, that too would be of little help. Bob did modified/tweaked everything without exception. For that reason my only comment would be - she did well and came second as a runner up to only famous Trumpet (which is discontinued and now replaced with new model for $2699). Jolida (it could be just me) sounded small, congested and ............. to "solid state-ish".  It simply did nothing for me as far as musical enjoyment goes.

If Bill will indeed implement  (IMHO) necessary adjustments into the production Bella unit, I believe that Respond Audio might have a winner.

But let me slow down a little...................

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #28 on: 20 Mar 2009, 01:40 am »
Hello Mariusz,
 Yes, I will be implementing the updates to both tour units. Unit #2 will be in route soon for it's updates and will then be offered for sale for $1,095 including the extra goodies.

I have a custom unit on hand that also has the updates already installed.

Mariusz

« Reply #29 on: 23 Mar 2009, 02:15 am »
Hello Mariusz,
 Yes, I will be implementing the updates to both tour units. Unit #2 will be in route soon for it's updates and will then be offered for sale for $1,095 including the extra goodies.

I have a custom unit on hand that also has the updates already installed.

At this price it is absolutely great product. You have also mentioned in one of your emails - the possibility of more aggressive pricing for Bella phono. In my opinion, that would definitely make your phono noticed and create quite a buzz.
Your responsiveness to our feedback and immediate initiative to improve an already great product speaks volumes.  :beer:
I am glad that we could add to make your new product an exceptional performer and value.

My conclusion to this evaluation will be posted tomorrow or Tuesday when I will have more free time  and prepare this baby for shipment to Respond Audio. I have bought a SoundSmith SMMC-1 moving iron from fellow member. If it arrives tomorrow, I will try to test it with Bella for a second ....... if time permits.

Thanks Bill
I will be in touch  :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #30 on: 1 Apr 2009, 01:19 am »
 Since I purchase the demo unit my impression will smell fishy but I will post some more details as soon as I will get Bella with all the upgrades and improvements.  :drool:

Mariusz :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #31 on: 1 Apr 2009, 01:26 am »
P.S

SMMC 1 SoundSmith came in one piece.
New speed box is also on the way.
Just to let you know what is coming.
 :thumb:

mjosef

« Reply #32 on: 1 Apr 2009, 02:48 am »
Since I purchase the demo unit my impression will smell fishy but I will post some more details as soon as I will get Bella with all the upgrades and improvements

Well, to be fair, your conclusion will be based on practically a different product and will not represent the unit that was actually heard on the demo tour.
It may have been more valuable(to the readers) to offer your conclusion/final impressions before receiving the "improved" version. In other words, wrap up the tour demo unit impressions and do a follow up when you receive the "improved" unit. That's the way Stereophile and other mags does it. Of course, that may or may not reflect favorably on the manufacturer.
Just my 3cents(inflation). <wish I had a fishing smiley here>

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #33 on: 1 Apr 2009, 02:57 am »
Of course, that may or may not reflect favorably on the manufacturer.

I would not object to this at all. As mentioned earlier on in this thread, the purpose of this tour was to obtain feedback that would lead to improvements of the unit. No Bella Phonos were sold to consumers prior to the tour. Mariusz's improved version will be no different from what consumers will receive from here on out.

I think a "before and after" writeup would be just what the readers would want (and need) to see showing that we listen to our users to improve upon our products.

Mariusz

« Reply #34 on: 1 Apr 2009, 03:34 am »
Since I purchase the demo unit my impression will smell fishy but I will post some more details as soon as I will get Bella with all the upgrades and improvements

Well, to be fair, your conclusion will be based on practically a different product and will not represent the unit that was actually heard on the demo tour.
It may have been more valuable(to the readers) to offer your conclusion/final impressions before receiving the "improved" version. In other words, wrap up the tour demo unit impressions and do a follow up when you receive the "improved" unit. That's the way Stereophile and other mags does it. Of course, that may or may not reflect favorably on the manufacturer.
Just my 3cents(inflation). <wish I had a fishing smiley here>

I am not a Stereophile  - You insult me.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Of course I'll include the findings in follow up.
The issues mentioned before by others are valid and I suggested some ideas myself to Bill in PM.
Bill responded with immediate willingness to resolve the issues and promised to look into making his product even better.
Overall, I really like it and I often find myself listening to vinyl on my headphone system into late hours.
I do not really know what to expect from the improved version - but it wasn't the reason for purchase.

Here is your fishing smiley -

Mariusz

« Last Edit: 1 Apr 2009, 01:18 pm by Mariusz »