Subwoofer Advice

chrisgwd

Subwoofer Advice
« on: 4 Feb 2009, 12:32 am »
Guys, Rick,

I recently ordered a pair of Tanzanites and a pair of Whomp!s from Rick.  I am still trying to figure out what to do with the subwoofer feet.  I'd like to ask your experience. I've looked at three options so far:

1.  Rick origionally recommended rubber feet from Loews. 

2.  I later spoke with Noel at Skylan stands about speaker stands.  He recommended using hockey pucks.  His shop is in Calgary Canada aa.  Its much easier to find hockey pucks there than it is here in California.

3.  So then, I considered these:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/ambackissues/vibrapods.htm - they are only $6 a piece, slightly more than a hockey puck and easier to find.

But, I wonder what the goal is for a sub or speaker? or what your experience is...

How far up off the floor might you want to get a sub?
Is Isolation from the structure more of a concern? to "float" the enclosure in free space?
or, would a foot that absorbs driver impact be more of a concern? and make the sub less precise?

I have hardwood floors.

I may have to experiment, but would like a leg up if possible.  Any Whomp! owners out there with ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

cadobhuk

Re: Subwoofer Advice
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2009, 01:56 am »
This would be the best (but twice more money compared to vibrapods).

djdube525

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2009, 03:43 pm »
You mentioned hockey pucks and availability.... Just wanted to point out, you can get them from Dick's Sporting Goods online for 99cents each - not sure on shipping.

Dave

JeffBrown

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2009, 03:55 pm »
It is a scary world we live in when it is easier to find a boutique audio product then a simple hockey puck!  I guess that is California for you.  Having lived here most of my life, I can relate to the difficulties of finding hockey pucks and other winter sports products.  My local Big-5 usually keeps one or two in stock for right around a buck each.

hondo

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2009, 05:40 pm »
My experience is that speaker spikes ( such as Parts Express Dayton DSS4-CH for $25.45) will provide a more solid sound - on wood floors and especially carpet.

hondo

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2009, 05:48 pm »
I would add that if you can use three feet, problems with a soft foot can be avoided.  With four, make sure one foot is not soft (not tight against the foor).

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2009, 06:04 pm »
Here is what I use. You can get it in black at Homey Depot and probably target and Wally Mart.

http://www.organize.com/12x4whitulgr.html

This works great! Couples my subs to the floor as if they are one with the floor. No movement and no rattle. I tried spikes, but could not get the subs to sit still on my hardwood floors. I also use it under my speaks sitting on top of my subs.
Cheap and it works!
My 2 cents.