Buffalo - I need recipes

spudco

Buffalo - I need recipes
« on: 3 Feb 2009, 06:20 pm »

My friend Dwayne has taken a buffalo with a bow. 

He has been very generous with the meat and we now have steaks, roasts and ground buffalo in our freezer!

I need to know how to prepare this wonderful bounty - does anyone know any great ways to fix buffalo?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Buffalo - I need recipes
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2009, 06:30 pm »
Check this out.... http://www.americangourmet.net/buffalo-recipes.html

I ate Buffalo steak and prime rib in Denver (RMAF)....it was very good..(Buckhorn Exchange..)  :thankyou:

soundbitten1

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2009, 07:35 pm »
I get steaks and ground buffalo from the supermarket and a local ranch , we just had buffalo burgers last night for dinner . Buffalo is much leaner than beef but the steaks can be tough and stringy . They should not be cooked  more than medium rare . I dunno about the roasts ... maybe braised ?

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2009, 10:05 pm »
Take your beef recipe, substitute the bison...and your done.
Oh ya, and it will taste much much better!

We use ground bison instead of beef and there is no need to drain off fat.

Never had a tough bison steak on my end....

spudco

« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2009, 05:00 pm »
WOW!  We had our first buffalo last night - simple buffalo burger.  Both my wife and I were astounded with the taste, texture and appearance.

We made 1/2 pound patties, salted them and pan fried in a hot skillet with a very small amout of peanut oil.

I served them rare (3 1/2 minutes per side) with a grind of pepper.

They were wonderful.  Perhaps the best flavored meat I've ever tried.  Beautifully red interior and sublime texture.  I will find a source for more in the future - I may even sponsor Dwayne on a hunt!

The plains indians must have really thought we were insane for eating beef...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2009, 10:02 am »
Buffalo makes some seriously kickass meatloaf, too! :drool:

spudco

« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2009, 12:35 pm »
So far, we like the ground Buffalo best.  It is quite amazing.

Every cut has good flavor, but we found our steaks had some bad parts.  We made a roast and it was good, but not so dramatically different from a beef roast.

One thing we have learned from Buffalo meat suppliers is the key is to get younger animals.  The meat we have is from an animal about 4-5 years old.  The suppliers use 2 year old animals.  Also, I think a supplier will do a better job of butchering the animal.