UPGRADE DILEMMA

1ZIP

UPGRADE DILEMMA
« on: 2 Feb 2009, 06:37 pm »
Need some thoughts on the next steps in a system upgrade.  Last month I changed out by old Marantz for a BCD-1 and the difference was like day and night.  Next step was to replace my current pre-amp (pre-amp side of my B-60) with a BP-26, then replace the 4B ST with a 4B SST2.  But I've been wondering that maybe, from incremental improvements in soundstage, imaging, detail, etc., I might be better off changing out the amp next.  I say that because from what I've read the improvements between the ST and SST are substantial.  With regards to speakers. I'm pretty happy with the 805's, at least for now.

So, the question is "What is the next step"? :scratch:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: UPGRADE DILEMMA
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2009, 11:36 pm »
hi, 1ZIP!

...no dilemma at all. if you know that you will get a 26 and a SST2 amp in any way then i think it's just a matter of what you want. i mean that in any case the benefit will be on your side no matter what will hit your shelf first...a new 26 preamp or a new SST2 amp. not to mention if both pieces are there...wow and congratulations!

al. :green:
« Last Edit: 3 Feb 2009, 06:48 am by alexone »

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2009, 11:51 pm »
Go for the  SST² amp first...your preamp is fine.

rabpaul

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2009, 07:16 am »
The pre-amp section of the B-60 is no match for the BP26, IMO it should be pre first.

1ZIP

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2009, 10:48 pm »
Well, I pulled the trigger on a B-26 this PM. :D  I heard that the B-26 is back ordered, don't know what the means in terms of time but my BCD-1 only took a couple of weeks.  I thought that was reasonable, if not on the quick side.  Maybe Mr. Tanner might know?

And now I turn my attention to an SST2. :drool:  Then some new speakers and then I can add my name to the Bailout list!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2009, 11:07 pm »
Well, I pulled the trigger on a B-26 this PM. :D  I heard that the B-26 is back ordered, don't know what the means in terms of time but my BCD-1 only took a couple of weeks.  I thought that was reasonable, if not on the quick side.  Maybe Mr. Tanner might know?

And now I turn my attention to an SST2. :drool:  Then some new speakers and then I can add my name to the Bailout list!

Hi IZIP,

What dealer did you order from and I will keep an eye out and fast-track it for you---congrats!

james

1ZIP

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2009, 12:16 am »
Thanks James,  I appreciate the help!  The dealer is Fred's Sound of Music in Portland, OR.
Very nice & knowledgeable folks.

Terry

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2009, 08:32 pm »
The pre-amp section of the B-60 is no match for the BP26, IMO it should be pre first.

Aren't all of the preamps the same, James?

1ZIP

« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2009, 09:31 pm »
Don't know what James is going to say but I bought the 26 for several reasons; 1.) the options, balanced vs none, ability to power other components from the power supply.  2. It was a waste of a nice integrated just to use the pre-amp section of a B-60 especially when I wanted to set up a small system in another room.  3.) Is there a noticeable sonic difference between the B-6, B-16, B-26, can't say for now.  However, over my years as an electronics tech, then engineer, then acoustician I have learned that often times small differences in the electronics/mechanics and build can produce some very noticeable differences in what one hears.  Do I believe that there are significant differences between the three.....probably not, but spending a little more to extract a little more definition, clarity, soundstage is worth it to me. 4.) and the most important is ..I just wanted a B-26!  Plus I'd rather decide how to redistribute my $$'s rather than have some entity do it for me....if you know what I mean.  At any rate I'll certainly post my impressions of the B-26 and differences between it and the B-60.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2009, 09:58 pm »

my personal reasons for buying a 26:

1. balanced/unbalanced ins and outs
2. powerful outboard power supply
3. maybe any next Bryston model to power up by the external power supply
4. all in all 8 analog inputs

i always wanted to have a chance to compare the XLR vs. the RCA. knowing that my Bryston amp has XLR ins and i cannot use 'em would be a waste for me...furthermore i can feed the 26 via XLR by the BDA-1 and the BCD-1. giving the MPS2 an extra shelf makes sense i would say. that beeing said the remarkable good sound of my components is a 'heritage' of its technical solutions.

al.