Building small OBs plus sub

Se[BBB]e

Building small OBs plus sub
« on: 2 Feb 2009, 03:15 pm »
I'm thinking of building a pair of small OB speakers and a subwoofer (in standard vented box) to use as computer speakers. What I'm thinking of is something like this driver: http://www.tymphany.com/830984 in the OB speakers. The problem is I can't find any info on how to know what the frequency response will be like, how wide the baffle has to be, etc :/ I have a program that can simulate normal boxes but not OB. I don't need it to go especially deep, but I do want to go to like 200 Hz.. Can anyone help? =)

gainphile2

• Gainphile
Re: Building small OBs plus sub
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2009, 11:14 pm »
Baffle should be less than 2 * effective cone diameter, so in the case of that small FR it could be quite sleek. The rolloff is then compensated actively using SLP. A minimum of one dipole peak notch is required.

Musicanddesign's ABC dipole simulator ($15) is really great and I've used it with success. For that Peerleess it goes like this.

10x30cm baffle, driver at 20cm

Typical one dipole peak which needs to be equalised after which the response is smooth. The simulator cannot predict the dipole peak accurately, it must be measured outside.

25x40cm baffle, driver at 20cm height

After the dipole peak the frequency response is crap, that large dip and peak is difficult to equalise.