new to classical music

JefferyK

Following a trail...
« Reply #20 on: 9 Dec 2003, 05:33 pm »
Most folks probably think my approach to approaching classical music and opera is pretty weird, but it works for me.

I guess it would best be described as following a trail of crumbs. For example: I had never heard Leontyne Price, but I was curious, so I bought her blue album because (1) it was on sale and (2) I liked the cover. I listened to it and just loved it. I loved the arias from "Aida," so I bought the "Aida" recording with Price, Vickers and Gorr. I loved the opera, so I bought another Verdi opera. I also loved the singers, so I bought other recordings featuring them. And so on and so on... Now, several years later, I have a large collection of opera and recital recordings that I really, really like. Of course, I ended up buying some duds, which I resold or traded.

Pretty much the same thing happened with classical: I bought a recording of Beethoven's 9th on impulse, never having heard it before, and it just blew me away. So I bought more Beethoven. I bought Mozart because my opera trail had led me to his operas. Also, I have a friend who listens to nothing but classical, and he has exposed me to classical music I really like (Shostakovich!) as well as classical music that leaves me somewhat bewildered (Mahler!).

And while I was following these trails and listening, I read books and guides about classical and opera, which led me to other singers and composers. There are many to choose from. My personal favorites are the Rough Guides, which have brief bios, interesting recording commentary and longer articles that contextualize the pieces a bit. The Penguin Guide is useful as a guide to recordings. Any good-sized bookstore will have several classical and opera guides to choose from, as will any decent public library. I also watched videos (mostly checked out from the library) and attended performances (cheap balcony seats).

So, if you like Vivaldi's "Stabat Mater," you might want to check out other composers' settings of the same piece. Or if you like the solo singer in the "Gloria" (I believe there is one---I don't know the piece), you might want to check out another recording featuring the same singer. And you can also explore other composers whose work is similar to Vivaldi's: If you like Vivaldi, you will probably like Bach, especially the Brandenburg Concertos, IMHO.

Jeffery

darkmonohue

Introducing Classical
« Reply #21 on: 16 Dec 2003, 04:16 am »
A book I've found quite helpful in my (ongoing) exploration of "classical" music (I gather the politically correct term is "European Art Music") is David Dubal's The Essential Canon of Classical Music.  It has brief biographies of the leading composers, with some discussion of what's significant in their works.  For most of the major pieces Dubal gives two recommended recordings, chosen for contrast, with an idea that two radically different interpretations will help the novice listener to understand the range of potential in the work.  

One further recommendation.  When recommending classical music to those unfamiliar with it, most people recommend the most accessible works.  I've got nothing against Mozart, Brahms, and Chopin, but for me I find that, given the kind of aggressive, risk-taking music I like in other genres, I'm most immediately drawn to more challenging classical pieces.  So, if you have access to a library, I would suggest trying out Bartok's String Quartets (Emerson or Takacs Quartets), or Prokofiev's 3rd piano concerto (Ashkenazy) or Stravinsky's Petrouchka and Firebird, or Janacek's Sinfonietta (Mackerras or Chailly).  If you're a fan of the edgy and angular, you might find this vein of work congenial.

manek

new to classical music
« Reply #22 on: 9 Jan 2004, 08:31 am »
Tchaikovsky's ballets Swan Lake and Nutcracker...Piano concertos 1&2 with viariation on a theme.

Buy berlin philharmonic and karayan combo.....very electric.....I just love both of them.....

To ease you in...Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, Beethoven, Brahms, Dvorak. Others can follow later.....these guys made great music which can be appreciated by all.....dont forget the great overtures like great gate of kiev, 1812 overture, francesca di rimini, leonore, die fleidermouse, barber of seville, night on the bare mountain.

IanATC

Re: new to classical music
« Reply #23 on: 9 Jan 2004, 01:11 pm »
Quote from: zybar
I just picked up some Vivaldi (Four Seasons, Gloria, Stabat Mater) and I love it!!  :D

The question is...what are some must haves as I leap into the world of classical music?

I am way too much of a newbie to say I have a favorite type or style.

Look forward to getting some feedback.

Thanks,

GW

What I recommend, are the bold, concise works that stand out.  Most of the best spectacular movies we have, have exceptional classical compositions in the soundtrack.  
  Classical, for some means quiet chamber music (I like that too)  but to others, they need full orchestral slam. I also try to look at classical in terms of conductors, composers and certain artists.  Holst and mussogrsky as well as tchikovski and beethoven have works that are almost like "heavy metal"  of classical.

Ok, there are many awesome works out there, so here is a short list:

Solti/ beethovens 9th on DECCA, or a TELARC artist
Holst:  the planets  TELARC
Mussorgsky:  Night on bald mountain  TELARC
Tchaikovski:  1812 overture  / TELARC
Classical thunder collection/ Telarc/Time life
Space spectacular/  TELARC/Time life
Stravinski:  firebird   TELARC
John Williams/ conductor movie themes/collection
John Williams (the Aussie guitarist)  Recital

look for the following conductors:

Furtwangler
Solti
Barenboim
Kunzel
Williams

These quartets:
Emerson
Brodski
Cleveland

Violinists:
Stern
Pearlman

There are many more, but I have to get back to work before the boss blows a cork.
 :oops: