HEADPHONE SUGESTIONS???

Bassmann

HEADPHONE SUGESTIONS???
« on: 29 Jan 2009, 11:01 pm »
Hi all

I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones. I'm looking to buy secondhand up to £150 GBP.

I want them to be versatile and efficient, good all-rounders for listening to music through my BP26 mainly (the manual says above 50 ohms recommended) but i also want to use them with my TV when playing call of duty 4 and other games.

I don't know much about headphones really. I have been looking at models from commercial brands such as Grado, Beyerdynamic, Sennhieser.

I like the look of the Grado SR325 Prestige and I think they would suit my small ears, but the others from beyerdynamic and sennhieser look much more comfortable and better made. I would like a pair that cups your ears preferably.

If anyone has any good experience, knowledge and suggestions on headphones that can be shared it would be much appreciated. I would also be interested to learn what the unbiased pros use in the studios if anybody knows.

Any advise would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

EDS_

Re: HEADPHONE SUGESTIONS???
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2009, 11:45 pm »
Hi all

I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones. I'm looking to buy secondhand up to £150 GBP.

I want them to be versatile and efficient, good all-rounders for listening to music through my BP26 mainly (the manual says above 50 ohms recommended) but i also want to use them with my TV when playing call of duty 4 and other games.

I don't know much about headphones really. I have been looking at models from commercial brands such as Grado, Beyerdynamic, Sennhieser.

I like the look of the Grado SR325 Prestige and I think they would suit my small ears, but the others from beyerdynamic and sennhieser look much more comfortable and better made. I would like a pair that cups your ears preferably.

If anyone has any good experience, knowledge and suggestions on headphones that can be shared it would be much appreciated. I would also be interested to learn what the unbiased pros use in the studios if anybody knows.

Any advise would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Hello Bassmann,

I'm a huge Grado fan.  Via an odd set of circumstances I have both RM -1 and RM -2 Grado phones.  The are both perfectly comfortable and I often listen through them for several hours at a time. 

One big issue - if you will be listening in environs with significant background noise Grados are the worst choice as they are at least semi-open baffle.

Best of luck and have an Old Peculiar or Boddington's for me when you get the chance.

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2009, 11:48 pm »
Being a drummer I had went thru a few sets of phones(as they could not handle the bottom end).
I have been using SONY PROFESSIONAL MDR 7506.They are very light weight ,cover my ears ect.
Great separation on the instruments and they handle kick drum and bass quite excellent.
I run them into a separate mixing board which I run a Roland TD-20(electronic kit) and cdp.
Wish I could remember the other models,my kick toasted them all.
If your near any city,the store is called Long&Mcquade LTD,they are on line also.they sell pro gear and instruments.
They also sell sennhauser and other top brands.I tried out a set of DENON DJ headphones but I
found them too harsh for me.Everything was way too aggressive on the sound,the Sony's for me
was more analog sounding,organic,nice,pleasant and can handle the bottomend.Hope that helps.

Bassmann

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2009, 02:17 am »
Thanks

EDS_ and drummermitchell

I've checked out a few reviews of the SONY PROFESSIONAL MDR 7506 from various places and it seems they are indeed a very good pair of headphones going off the reviews and spec, 40mm diaphragms, neodymium magnets, very comfortable, well made, efficient and most importantly for these tough times/crazy days very reasonably priced at about £70-£80 New.

I have to admit that Sony didn't even enter my mind when thinking about top quality headphones, its usually the company's that you've never heard of and keep a low marketing profile that are the best (sound familiar  :thumb:). But going off the reviews they seem very promising. (should make that Desert Eagle sound awesome on call of duty)

Has anyone else any suggestions on other makes and models?

I read that company's who make microphones also make quality headphones, such as Neumann? has anyone got any of these that they can comment on, or are they vintage gear now?

Thanks guys

BradJudy

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2009, 02:27 am »
I've owned headphones from Grado, Beyer, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Etymotic, Westone, etc.  While I enjoyed both my Grado SR-225's and Sennheiser HD-600's, I settled on the Beyerdynamic DT-880 as my main headphone.  I think it's an excellent all-around performer that's quite comfortable. 

There's also a headphone circle here on AC where you might get more responses to your question.

I'd keep an eye on the Head-Fi used headphone section.  There are a number of Europeans on there, so you might find some used options that are in-country for lower shipping costs. 

bregez

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2009, 04:00 am »
Just a side note the Sony MDR-V6 (70 USD) is the same headphone as the Sony MDR-7506 (100 USD).  The difference being the 7506 is the “professional series” and it has a gold plated connector. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_MDR-V6
The response of these headphones is very linear therefore will reveal all chicks and pops in recordings.  They are also very comfortable.  I would also put the Sennheiser HD280 (100 USD) on your short list.  They are great sounding headphones for the price.  Stay away from the Grado 325i, they have lots of ugly reviews.  The Grado 225 (200 USD) is a better choice,

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2009, 04:47 am »
I would try some of the AKG's

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2009, 05:01 am »
I've got pretty extensive experience in the headphone world.  If open headphones are OK, then the Senheisser HD-650 is pretty much the end all be all for natural, audiophile sound.  Closed headphones are more difficult - I like the Denon D5000's, but the are 25 ohm, so might not be a good choice for you.  After that, my faves are the Beyerdynamic DT250, but the 250 ohm version, not the inferior 80 ohm version.  Alternately, the Sony CD-3000's are quite nice for a reasonable cost, as are the Audio Technica ATH-900's. 

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2009, 05:57 am »
I've owned headphones from Grado, Beyer, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Etymotic, Westone, etc.  While I enjoyed both my Grado SR-225's and Sennheiser HD-600's, I settled on the Beyerdynamic DT-880 as my main headphone.  I think it's an excellent all-around performer that's quite comfortable. 

There's also a headphone circle here on AC where you might get more responses to your question.

I'd keep an eye on the Head-Fi used headphone section.  There are a number of Europeans on there, so you might find some used options that are in-country for lower shipping costs. 

Il second that one Senns tend to put me asleep , Beyerdynamic DT-880 or the 990's do it for me

ED

Watson

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2009, 08:02 am »
I've got pretty extensive experience in the headphone world.  If open headphones are OK, then the Senheisser HD-650 is pretty much the end all be all for natural, audiophile sound.  Closed headphones are more difficult - I like the Denon D5000's, but the are 25 ohm, so might not be a good choice for you.  After that, my faves are the Beyerdynamic DT250, but the 250 ohm version, not the inferior 80 ohm version.  Alternately, the Sony CD-3000's are quite nice for a reasonable cost, as are the Audio Technica ATH-900's. 

Yeah the Beyerdynamic DT250-250 is the most underappreciated phone around. I wish I hadn't sold mine. Never did find a closed headphone that I liked more.

2gumby2

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2009, 11:09 am »
I recommend Audio-technica headphones. I have the Audio-technica ATH-A900 headphones and they are some of the best headphones I have ever heard and by far the most comfortable. At the store I could not tell the difference in sound between the ATH-A500, ATH-A700, and the ATH-A900, but I bought the 900s because I wanted aluminum cans. Any of these headphones would be an outstanding value.

PhilNYC

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2009, 01:11 pm »

Il second that one Senns tend to put me asleep , Beyerdynamic DT-880 or the 990's do it for me

ED

I did my headphone search about 2 years ago (see here:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=35755.0).  Ended up with the Beyer DT880.  Excellent sound and the most comfortable by a long-shot.  Also picked up a cheap pair of Grado SR80...I liked the sound so much that I just had to pick them up, but they are also among the most uncomfortable of those I tried...

cryoparts

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2009, 05:35 pm »
My $.02.

I'm with Tyson, Ed and Phil, go for the Beyer's.  I have WAY too many headphones around here and for your price range ($200-250 USD), you'll be hard pressed to do better.  I still pick up my Beyer's and listen to them frequently, even though I have cans that retail for many multiples of their price.

FYI--The Grado's are 32 ohm, so they may not be the best match for your pre if it designed to be used with cans above 50 ohms.

EDIT--Oops, forgot to mention that I offer Beyer's for sale, so keep that in mind while considering my opinion.

Peace,

Lee

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2009, 03:52 am »
I recommend Audio-technica headphones. I have the Audio-technica ATH-A900 headphones and they are some of the best headphones I have ever heard and by far the most comfortable. At the store I could not tell the difference in sound between the ATH-A500, ATH-A700, and the ATH-A900, but I bought the 900s because I wanted aluminum cans. Any of these headphones would be an outstanding value.

They certainly look pretty cool. Do you have a Bryston preamp and how do the A-T headphone work with the headphone amp?

Bassmann

« Reply #14 on: 2 Feb 2009, 11:22 am »
Thanks guys for all your sugestions

I've decided to get some of the Sony mdr 7506 for £74. I got this model over the V6's because i hear that sony's profesional division have better customer care and thats what the extra ££$$ is for as well the gold plated jack. I appreciate that these are probably not the best sounding headphones that you can get, but i think they will suit my needs quite well and be a good investment.

Is their a correct way to break headphones in? apart from just using them and taking it easy for a while?

Thanks

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 2 Feb 2009, 01:19 pm »
Thanks guys for all your sugestions

I've decided to get some of the Sony mdr 7506 for £74. I got this model over the V6's because i hear that sony's profesional division have better customer care and thats what the extra ££$$ is for as well the gold plated jack. I appreciate that these are probably not the best sounding headphones that you can get, but i think they will suit my needs quite well and be a good investment.

Is their a correct way to break headphones in? apart from just using them and taking it easy for a while?

Thanks

I usually put them in a box and throw a blanket or something over them to muffle the sound and  let them play

ed

Bassmann

« Reply #16 on: 2 Feb 2009, 02:41 pm »
ha ha, thought you was taking the mick at first. I used to do something similar to that in front of the AGA with lambs that had been rejected by momma sheep.

I have a Isotek system enhancer cd using algorithms and such, do you think headphones will benefit from the break-in features of this?

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 2 Feb 2009, 03:04 pm »
ha ha, thought you was taking the mick at first. I used to do something similar to that in front of the AGA with lambs that had been rejected by momma sheep.

I have a Isotek system enhancer cd using algorithms and such, do you think headphones will benefit from the break-in features of this?

That would be good speed up the process

ED

Bassmann

« Reply #18 on: 5 Feb 2009, 11:10 am »
Well guys

for those that are interested

I've received my headphones today and so far so good, after a quick listen I can confirm that the bass is excellent on these, They're not as bright as I was expecting going off what other people were saying about them in other forums. The sound seems a little 2 dimensional and muffled to me on imediate impressions. Maybe this will open up in a bit of time with use, I'm running them through the Isotek system enhancer CD, I'll do this for 24 hours or so.

One thing I'm not too impressed about is that the people at the factory have stretched the coiled lead just to put a bit of sticky tape to hold the bag on the lead.  :duh:

[EDIT]

I was listening to them through my P.C output and not the BP26 by the way.

A month on and they seem to have opened up slightly, and sound great through my Pre-amp.
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2009, 02:33 pm by Bassmann »