My RM40s are here and singing!

SWG255

« on: 3 Dec 2003, 03:25 am »
Well, it was very definitly worth the wait! My new RM40s with FST and TRT in dark oak arrived around 4:30 this afternoon. They are up and singing now, and even right out of their boxes they sound fabulous. They are perhaps a little "polite" sounding as compared to the demo pair i auditioned at Dynamic Sound Audio when i bought them. I suspect this will change for the better as they break in.

Even with no particular effort to tune them, and only a rudimentary attempt to place them, they are just wonderful to listen to, top to bottom. Cymbals are more alive and life-like than I've ever heard in a stereo system before. Voices are just plain "correct". The bass is completely integrated with the rest of the spectrum and has surprising power when the recording delivers it, even with the woofers not broken in or the passive radiator tuned by removing putty.

In my room the dark oak cabinets look great and are a perfect match for my large custom made stereo cabinet.

I am a very, very happy VMPS owner!

warnerwh

« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2003, 03:47 am »
Congratulations!  Don't be afraid to remove some putty to get the bass to come alive a bit more while they're breaking in. Just remember to always save the putty you remove.  Enjoy your new toys.

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2003, 03:49 am »
Congratulations Stan,

What a great feeling hauling those monsters in, unpacking them and setting them up.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about what we talked about, I have just been extremely busy lately but I will get to you soon.

Enjoy :wink:

meilankev

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2003, 01:17 pm »
SWG,

Congratulations on the receipt of your speakers!!  It was a happy day for me when I got them, also (of course, trying to lug them upstairs took most of the grin off of my face).

Wow, I'm impressed they sound so good right out of the box.  As I recall, mine sounded pretty bad - okay, they sounded really bad.  I was able to do comparisons with my Thiels, and my wife began questioning my sanity.  It wasn't until considerable tweaking that they surpasses my previous speakers.

And then, over the next few weeks, the sound deteriorated again.  As the speakers broke in (and changed sonically), my original settings were no longer valid.  It was time to attack the putty/pots again.  Once this re-adjustment took place, my RM40s surpassed the Thiels in just about every respect.  And once I got my preamp problem solved, I have been very happy with my system, and VMPS's role in that system.

Again, congratulations!!  Prepare yourself that the best is yet to come.

Kevin

ARAM

any pics?
« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2003, 02:28 pm »
Will  you  post  any  pictures for  us  to  see?