Upgraded Grado 1-series...anybody hear them yet?

TheChairGuy

Upgraded Grado 1-series...anybody hear them yet?
« on: 27 Jan 2009, 09:18 pm »
The Prestige (plastic-bodied line) seems to have been out for a few months now.....anybody have one and can comment upon them?

I see that Grado has now upgraded the wood-bodies Reference and Statement lines to 1 status, too.

Are they worth the purchase to try them from previous series if you have heard both?

There is something so musically stirring about Grado's if you dial them in right.  Yes, they 'slur' transients a bit next to moving coils (even cheapies like the Denon's)...and are a bit overly fleshy/flubby (ie, not as taut) as most moving magnets. 

But, that soundstage is immense, the bass power is awesome and they have a certain naturalness like no other cartridge I have heard.

I have not smoked pot in 15 years now (but, had my share plus when I did :wink:); I just stopped dead cold one day when I made a decision to back in '94 (I guess my 'angst' left me at about age 30)

I have to tell you when I listen to reggae now with a Grado I just want to light up a spleef! :lol: That tells me there is a great cartridge there worthy of additional investigation.

John

FB101

Re: Upgraded Grado 1-series...anybody hear them yet?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2009, 09:26 pm »
Yes and here are my impressions

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/grado2/sonata1.html

Try the Beach Boys on this one and you'll smell the weed  :thumb:

TONEPUB

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2009, 09:49 pm »
Ive got the master, ($1000) and have been very happy with it.  We will have a review
shortly, but the bottom line is the same, they have improved the detail and the
trackability while leaving the Midrange magic intact.

John, you have upgraded the wire in your 1200?  If so, I would suggest this cart,
if you have stock tonearm wiring, this might be on the dark side.

Also, PM me when you have time...

Jeff

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2009, 10:57 pm »
Is there a hum issue with the SL-1200?

Wayner

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2009, 02:11 am »
FB101/Frederic
Thanks for the link to your article :thumb:

TONEPUB/Jeff
I PM'ed ya'...

I have no tonearm on my Technics.  It had a hard life before me and to add insult to further injury, it was won on ebay and packed so horrific-ly that the stock tonearm was ruined when received here (a testament to this deck is that ANY other deck would have been smashed to bits if packed the same way).  So, it has never had the stock arm....it's been fitted with an Origin Live Illustrious Mk. II arm :o

It STILL sounds dark to me....I think it may be the rubber base...so great for feedback rejection and sturdiness, but I think it hols back this deck from greatness.  I have the KAB outboard supply and strobe disabler, too.  It also has a slight etch that I cannot get ride of....but, not lost on me is that this deck may have a worn bearing and or had not been oiled before me and may not act as one pristine new.

John