Power the Piccolo with the Bugle Power Supply

jcg0322

Power the Piccolo with the Bugle Power Supply
« on: 27 Jan 2009, 02:08 am »
I have received inquiries in regards to using the bugle PS to power the piccolo.

It's easy. Just wire the +15 V positive and ground outputs from the power supply to the wallwart inputs on the Piccolo. The negative tap from the PS is not needed or used.

Thanks Theo   

Jack

tubesforever

Re: Power the Piccolo with the Bugle Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2009, 08:26 pm »
Thanks for fleshing this out for me. 

I plan to build the Bugle PS and the Piccolo into a single case.  Should I use a steel inner box or shielding to contain potential noise from the power supply?  Is that ever needed in a Bugle environment?

I will post pictures of everything as the build unfolds.  Right now I am still fleshing out the component parts I will use on my second Piccolo project. 

Thanks again for the great product and helpful advice. 
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2009, 07:35 am by tubesforever »

hagtech

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2009, 05:30 am »
All phono stages are helped by metal boxes.  As long as it is done properly.  The "Faraday" cage shielding works wonders against electricl field pickup of stray noise sources.  You don't really need any shielding between the power supply and the other boards, but you do need distance.  The farther the better.  I like to see 3 to 4 inches minimum.

jh

jcg0322

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2009, 09:20 pm »
.........and it is a good idea to point the phono stage inputs away from the power supply.

analog97

« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2009, 11:08 pm »
I plan to build the Bugle PS and the Piccolo into a single case.  Should I use a steel inner box or shielding to contain potential noise from the power supply?  Is that ever needed in a Bugle environment?

Hi Tubes,

I am doing the same, but I am so slow!!  I have a Bugle and PS already built and am awaiting the construction of a case.  Since you are ahead of me on the learning curve, thanks in advance for any pictures!!

All phono stages are helped by metal boxes.  As long as it is done properly.

I never dispute JH, but I'd just like to point out that my RIPPER w/plastic case does sound fantastic and the Bugle w/NO case does as well.

tubesforever

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2009, 06:40 am »
jcg0322  I have a question about the buggle power supply.  Do you recommend an IEC and IEC powercord to get the AC input? 

I should begin the power supply build within a week or two.  If I need an IEC and a cord I will want to order up a set.

Cheers!

jcg0322

« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2009, 02:40 am »
tubes,

The IEC C-13 and C-14 combination is definitely the way to go. Digikey part #817-1087-ND has a built-in fuse holder for the 5mm X 20mm fuse for about $14.00. It is the panel mount inlet with screw holes. Digikey part #708-1339-ND is basically the same thing without the fuse holder for $1.44.
A basic power cord with the C-13 connector is Digikey part #AE9900-ND. This has a 90 degree end which is ideal if entry into the box is on the side. The cost is $7.82.
Many other configurations are available.

tubesforever

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2009, 08:50 am »
I want to say thank you to Jim Hagerman for another excellent design and a personal thank you to jcg0322 for the outstanding kit with all the parts necessary to build your Bugle P/S. 

The kit was outstanding FUN.  jcg0322 I have to say it is a terrific plus to have you supply the board and all the parts necessary to build the kit.  You guys are the best! 

I am eager to hear my Piccolo with double regulated power supplies.  This shoud be one super quiet head amp. 

While I upgraded some resistors and caps this would not be necessary for most builds.  Because I am using Black Gates I wanted to use P/S caps that I know first hand.  Here is a picture of the Bugle PS. 

This is a dandy kit and a must own piece if you are building a Bugle or Piccolo. 

I hope to have my Piccolo and Bugle PS in their respective cases and running tomorrow.  I need them to break in for a few weeks before auditioning them for the audiophiles at Muzikmike's Ribfest in May.

Cheers!

jcg0322

« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2009, 11:55 pm »
Tubes,

Thanks for your encouraging comments. I appreciate it and I know Jim does too.
We always provide a quality product. Please keep us up to date on your project as you progress. Other audiophiles are watching and will learn from your experience.

Thanks again,
Jack

jameshuls

« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2009, 02:57 am »
Hi Jim - I hope the build has been going smoothly! After your comments about Russian caps being out of spec I picked up a capacitance meter to test mine. Their values were incredibly accurate! Out of the 50 or so caps I tested, almost ALL were within 2% and most were within 1% (Many were within .2%). The only ones that deviated were the 0.47 uF FT-3 which were 7% high.

More importantly to you at the moment, I also tested all of my 1/4 watt PRP resistors for my Piccolo upgrade with my multimeter. Check your 470R resistors!!! All of mine were actually 470K! Apparently there was a mislabel. I have contacted Parts Connexion today for replacement. I just wanted to warn you in case you got the same batch as I did.

tubesforever

« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2009, 07:11 am »
Hi James,

My Piccolo and Bugle supply are running very nicely.  In fact I am really excited right now and nothing has had time to settle in yet.  You should hear the detail on bowed string bass.  I am very pleased with the sonics so far.

I think the Panasonic EB and PS caps are part of what makes my Piccolo dig in with the bass lines.  Low level detail gets mucked up with power supply regulation issues.  The Panasonic EB caps are some of the finest high ripple PS caps you can find for ballast purposes.  I used the ED caps in the Clarinet and Cornet 2 because of the higher voltage requirements.  The ED caps are now being replaced with EE caps and these actually measure BETTER. 

You can never be quieter than your power supply.

The Black Gate caps were 5.75 each from Percy Audio.  There are a cool 13 caps on the board.  However these measure the quietest noise floor of any cap on the planet.  This is exactly what you need for a head amp.  I decided to use the Panasonic 0.10uf 200w film caps in place of the specified 100w version.  Then I have them bypassed with either teflon FT-1 0.01uf or 0.015uf caps just to give me that clarity, growl and air I crave.  What a difference in overall clarity, slam and inner detail!   

When I got my PRP resistors from Parts Connexion, they were in unlabeled baggies.  While the resistors are marked, I took out my dmm to measure the things and mark the bags.  I thought I would match up the resistors in pairs.  Most were dead on accurate, however all 4 of my 470R resistors were bad.

Michael at Parts Connexion is the best.  He measured the resistors in his stock and sent me 4 perfect 470R resistors.

This is great customer service!

BTW when I measured my 490R resistors I found two that measured 465k volts, one measured 525k ohms and the other was 535k ohms.   I measured these with two different dmm's just to make sure.

I had one of my 390 ohm cartridge loading resistors measure 388 and the other measured 318 ohms.  These were the only resistors that did not meet spec out of my entire order of PRP 1/4 watt resistors.

As for sonics I am very pleased with the PRP resistors.  They have excellent sonics!   

I suggested that Parts Connexion have PRP measure all their resistors they are shipping to find their QC issues.  The customer should not be the QC inspector.

I will be posting pics of my Piccolo and Bugle during the week.  I have far too many projects right now and posting this might take a few days time.

The sonics on the upgraded Piccolo are very impressive right now and black gates and teflons take a good 30-100 hours to really disappear. 

Cheers!

jameshuls

« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2009, 06:22 pm »
Wow, it sounds like it sounds marvelous! Myself, I am going to try using 200V K40-Y 0.1 uF PIO caps bypassed by 820 pF FT-1 (I just picked up 50 for $10 on ebay), plus the 13 blackgates.

tubesforever

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2009, 07:01 am »
So here are some pictures of the casework on my Bugle P/S. 

In this first picture you can see the lighted rocker switch and fuse

In the second picture you can see the IEC and ground post.  I doubt I will ever need that ground post at all, but I had the spare parts and pieces and I figure it is better to be safe today than configure up a ground connection later. 

In this third photo you can see how tight things are inside this Hammond extruded aluminum case.  With the output jack and LED on the front face, the IEC and right angle power cord on one end, and the lighted rocker on the back side you might think this looks too busy.   

It is actually very compact and very elegant. 

After I took this photo I have changed one thing.  I am now using a neutral connection for the lighted rocker switch.  This provides that no power is returning along the earth ground pathway.  Thanks Jim for helping me sort this out in the safest fashion.

In retrospect, I think a simple toggle on/off would be all you need.  I plan to leave mine on 24/7 so why have another heat source running? 

From the listening seat all I see is the cool blue LED. 

As for the Piccolo in picture two, you will have to check out my Piccolo post to hear and see more about this gem. 

BTW this Buggle P/S is the bomb.  Your noise floor on a Bugle or Piccolo can never be quieter than the noise floor of your P/S.  So get the power clean and regulated properly and you have the basic building block for high resolution sound.

Last night I played Rob Wasserman's Solo album on my CineMag SUT and on the Piccolo.  You can hear more low level detail with the Piccolo and it has a quieter noise floor.

Mission accomplished. 

Get the power clean and tight and your bass lines will respond like you paid top dollar for world class equipment!  I want to thank Rob for coming over to my place last night.  That is how clean the bass sounded in my system with the Piccolo and Bugle P/S.

BTW these Hammond project boxes cost under 20 dollars from Digikey and come in either clear or black anodised finishes.  These beautiful project boxes worthy of a Bugle P/S and Piccolo project.  They provide an attractive and effective case work for the extremely low voltage signal amplification taking place. 

jcg0322

« Reply #13 on: 27 Apr 2009, 03:27 am »
Tubes,

Those Hammond extrudeds are a great choice. They are sharp and professional looking.
It looks like you have set a new standard of excellence for us do-it-yourselfers.

Thank you,
Jack

tubesforever

« Reply #14 on: 27 Apr 2009, 07:13 am »
Jack,

I do enjoy the professional fit and finish of these Hammond boxes.  For 20 bucks each they are not a cheap box but they sure do fit the bill for good looks and high performance. 

Jack, the Bugle kit you supply is fabulous.  I would recommend anyone who owns a Bugle to take the time and email you. 

This is a seriously fun kit and it could be built a lot simpler than mine and perform just as well.  I am certain that I could delete the fuse and run a simpler on/off switch.  While I upgraded the P/S and ballast caps with better Panasonic pieces I only think this in necessary if someone is paying a couple hundred dollars toward upgraded resistors and caps on their Hagerman Bugle or Piccolo.

In fact, the kit you sent me supplied nearly everything I would need for a power supply other than the enclosure, the power cord and connectors.     

The Bugle P/S is a must own piece if you are serious about sonics.  It allows the owner to provide some seriously smooth power to a Bugle or other 15v 1000mv device. 

Thanks for your contribution Jack!  The Bugle power supply is the bomb!  I think this is one fun project and the benefits are easy to hear and enjoy.

Cheers!

These Hammond boxes come in a black finish as well and in my system black might look better.   If someone wants silver let me know, I might be willing to swap with you. 

hotrod

« Reply #15 on: 3 May 2009, 07:15 pm »
 Hey guys,
 It seems Digikey is out of stock on quite a few of the pieces to build the Power Supply.Is there another vendor to find the parts needed.I would like to source the parts from a single vendor if possible.Are these parts available right from Hagerman?
 Thanks for your time.

WGH

« Reply #16 on: 4 May 2009, 05:49 am »
Hey guys,
 It seems Digikey is out of stock on quite a few of the pieces to build the Power Supply.Is there another vendor to find the parts needed.I would like to source the parts from a single vendor if possible.Are these parts available right from Hagerman?
 Thanks for your time.

Send Jack/jcg0322 an email, he has parts kits for both the Bugle and the power supply.

hagtech

« Reply #17 on: 6 May 2009, 05:23 am »
What's missing?  Usually identical alternatives can be found using their search tool.  Hard to keep up with part number changes due to inventory and/or RoHS.  I don't typically keep parts on hand for that supply.  Been whittling down my stock of parts (so I can pay taxes).

jh

hotrod

« Reply #18 on: 6 May 2009, 09:49 pm »
 Digikey does list an alternative for the heat sinks.So that leaves the neg. regulator that is out of stock with no alternative pieces listed.
 Any ideas?
 THX

jcg0322

« Reply #19 on: 6 May 2009, 11:28 pm »
Just to clear up any misunderstanding about power supply and bugle parts. I am not a parts supplier.
I am a reseller of Hagerman bugle preamp and power supply kits.
That means complete kits.

Email me with any questions.

Thank you,
Jack Gallagher