One of my favorite speakers

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
One of my favorite speakers
« on: 27 Jan 2009, 01:24 am »
http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rf-83.aspx

An all telling sensitive speaker that's within a decent price range. I have a pair of these and believe there are not too many other speakers that can outperform these within their price range. The bottom end frequency response goes down substantially lower than 29hz. They go down to the 'feel it more than hear it' range easily. Mids are beautiful and highs can be downright startling.

I had a pair of solid pine boxes made for them that are roughly 13 inches high. Even though they're tall, the extra lift does promote the ideal soundstage. These speakers are rear ported and like to be about 1-2ft away from the wall.

Why did I bring these up? They're great for SS & Tube amplifiers alike. I believe they're not mentioned enough in the HiFi department of audio.

Wind Chaser

Re: One of my favorite speakers
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2009, 01:46 am »
There seems to be some doubt about speakers sensitivity claims these days.  100 db @ 2.83 volts, isn't that the same as 1 watt?  If so, why state it in volts?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2009, 01:57 am »
Check this thread out... according to the opening post, it seems Klipsch is especially guilty of padding the numbers.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=63170.0

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2009, 02:14 am »
Good thread. I didn't know about that- but I do know they are **very** sensitive. One watt amplifiers do not have any issues driving these to decent volumes. My VR-2's don't like anything below 5 watts for roughly the same volume output.

brj

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2009, 02:41 am »
Quote from: Wind Chaser
100 db @ 2.83 volts, isn't that the same as 1 watt?

Only into a constant 8 Ohm load.

Even if a speaker is rated at 8 Ohms, this is usually a nominal rating.  The actual impedance will change across the frequency range of the speaker, often quite significantly.  Thus, the power input (Watts) required to maintain that fixed gain rating (dB) changes across the frequency range as the impedance does.

For example, 2.83 V into a 4 Ohm load requires 2 watts, not 1 watt.

hmen

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2009, 03:41 am »
There seems to be some doubt about speakers sensitivity claims these days.  100 db @ 2.83 volts, isn't that the same as 1 watt?  If so, why state it in volts?
A lot of people do that these days. Maybe it sounds more sophisticated.