VR4JR's upgrade to VR4Jrs MKII

whiskey99

VR4JR's upgrade to VR4Jrs MKII
« on: 27 Jan 2009, 01:21 am »
I am wondering if the $995 upgrade is worth it? From what I understand it consists of upgrades to the bottom unit replacing the drivers and upgrading the crossover unit. They also modify the upper cabinet with dampening material that smooths out the top end even more. If you have had this done what is your experience?
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2009, 06:26 am by whiskey99 »

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
Re: VR4JR's upgrade to VR4Jrs MKII
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2009, 07:13 am »
Dear Whiskey,

There is a nice result of the upgrade to MK II.
Tight bass and more detail, more music.
The upgradeprice is worth it. But...
The best thing to do is wait a little for the VR 4 Anniversary to come.
Listen to this version and see, hear and feel the nice presentation of this upgrade.
I predict you will trade in your VR 4 jr mk I for these 'annies'.
It may be cost you a bit more but you will get a set of speakers with a large musical output.

Have fun and enjoy the music.

Cor :wink:

whiskey99

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2009, 02:52 pm »
Thanks Cor, any idea what the Anniversaries will run?

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2009, 02:36 am »
If there is going to be a VR4 anniversary model and the current VR5 anniversary is the VR4 chassis with upgraded drivers and crossovers, I don't get it.  Do you mean a VR4 Jr anniversary?  And if that's what it will be, if the anniversary upgrade is as dramatic an improvement as it was going from the VR4 to the VR5 anniversary, it is entirely possible that the VR4 Jr annie could outperform the VR4 Sr. MkII which would totally bum me out and make no sense from a marketing standpoint.
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2009, 04:39 pm by es347 »

JackD201

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2009, 02:53 am »
Hi Gavin the 2009 line-up will be as follows

VR-4 Anniversary  (New Jr)
VR-4 SR Mk.2
VR-5 Anniversary
VR-77 SE
VR-9 SE
VR-11 SE

Unifield 3  and perhaps the unveiling of the Unifield 1 and 2 in the last quarter

As you'll notice the Jr has been dropped although personally I would advise VSA to keep the "jr" in there for easier recognition. The JrA moves closer to the SR Mk.2 in many respects and in a small room could go practically head to head with a Mk.1  BUT IMO the SR Mk.2s best their little brother in almost every way as they should given the difference in size, parts and the resulting difference in price. There's no need for you to worry. Temptation over a 5 Anniversary upgrade conversion is something I would worry about if I was you  :lol:   Then again I'd say hold off on this, take some time then jump straight to the VR-9!   aa

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2009, 04:38 pm »
Just as soon as I get that stimulus check from president O.   :lol: