Need 5 channnel speaker suggestions...

jackman

« on: 2 Dec 2003, 06:22 pm »
I have a friend who is putting together a system for her husband for Christmas.  It will be used 50-50% for HT and audio.  She was looking at a Bose system for about $800 and I told her that she could do better.  

I really like the Rava sub for $400, so that only leaves me $400 or so (she can go up a little, but not much) for the other speakers.  Looking for speakers in this range that will fit the bill.  Also they have to be small, finish will be plain black and he listens to all kinds of music, but likes to crank things up a bit.  I'm mentioning this because some of those little single driver monitors may not be able to crank out the volume.  The room is not that large, however I don't have a measurement.  And they have to be new (it's a gift) so  used stuff will not be an option.

Has anyone tried the Rudledge mini monitors?  What about two of their new two ways for the front two and the mini's for the center and the rears?  Is there anything good for this price range?  He has rear speakers so it may be more feasible to get three decent ones for the front and use his existing ones for the rear channels.  I'm drawing a total blank.  I can't let her go over to the dark side!  Please give me your suggestions.

Thanks!

Jack

ABEX

« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2003, 06:51 pm »
The small Paradigm's,NHT's & PSB's come to mind. All of them I have heard and it's a matter of taste there.

Ascend Acoustics I have heard alot about and would like to try them myself. Nothing against Axiom,but I have heard their Treble is to glareing from a few people.

Carlman

« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2003, 08:04 pm »
I've heard the Polk bookshelves in a friends system and thought they were pretty good for HT and audio.. plus, you can get them at Circuit City... so if he doesn't like them, he can return 'em...  $400 for 4 with a 6.5" driver or $280/4 w/ a 5.25"... the center is $240.  just a thought.

For new stuff that's cheap and doesn't suck, I'd second the small Paradigm's as an option.  I prefer the sound of Paradigm's for music but, the Polk's are good in their own way...

Good luck!

JackStraw

« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2003, 08:15 pm »
Check out these on intro special...

http://www.audioc.com/elt/index.htm

I know, they aren't black and they're a little over budget, but it's worth looking into. Free shipping until 12/12 to boot.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2003, 08:21 pm »
actually look at the new Rocket Tyke package on www.av123.com for $499 including sub.  :o

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2003, 08:22 pm »

dogberry

« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2003, 08:34 pm »
Axiom Audio has excellent speaks!  I've turned two friends on to their line and they love them.

http://www.axiomaudio.com

Carlman

« Reply #7 on: 3 Dec 2003, 03:36 am »
Quote from: JoshK
actually look at the new Rocket Tyke package on www.av123.com for $499 including sub.  :o

Josh or Marbles... could you comment to the detail level or other characteristics of the Rockets?  I need a center channel to match my Revel's... and these have a surprising number of similarities technically but, I have no experience hearing them.

Thanks for the link!!!

BTW, the package listed on that link is 899 not 499.

bundee1

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2005, 06:22 am »
just bumpin this cause Im interested.