What a treat!

Mag

What a treat!
« on: 24 Jan 2009, 07:10 pm »
My 10 cd order from amazon arrived and I've been listening to these the last 2 days. Three of the discs were new to me artists which I found  disappointing. Underwater Sunlight, Stratosfear and Living Ornaments '79, I had previously on LP. Tool, King Crimson and Joni Mitchell did not meet my expectations.

The one gem, Gary Numan- Living Ornaments '79. I used to be a fan of Gary Numan but got tired of his style except for this album, which I always liked on LP and cd-r.
 The cd-r transfer wasn't all that good. Seeing this album available on cd I decided to get it, hoping for better recording quality.
Let me tell you, playing this on my BCD-1 with enhancer on my Yamaha. I am there at the concert, it's that good! Okay, it's not the best recording I've heard, but a huge improvement.

My friend seen this tour shortly before I became a fan. He said it was the best light show he had ever seen. Damn, I wish I had seen it as well.

The other discs:
Porcupine Tree- Lightbulb Sun
Tangerine Dream- Stratosfear, Underwater Sunlight
King Crimson- In the Court of King Crimson
Gov't Mule- Gov't Mule
David Arkenstone- Myths & Legends
Dream Theater- Live at the Marquee
Tool- Anima
Joni Mitchell- Hits

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: What a treat!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2009, 08:41 pm »
Cool. Thanks for sharing this with us.

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2009, 09:08 pm »
All of Tool's albums sound great.  I'm a huge fan of Tool, bordering on obsession.  Live they are just about the best, I like to think of them as this generations Led Zeppelin.  10,000 Days is what I think is their best album.

b5pt9

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2009, 05:12 am »
Another Tool fan here.  You may find Anima grows on you and the newer CD's are even better IMO.

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2009, 04:37 pm »
Of the three Tool albums I have Aenima, 10,000 Days, Lateralus.
I like 10,000 Days the best, it's good right up to about track 6, then I lose interest.
I only like the one song on Aenima, Hooker with a Penis. On Lateralus, Grudge which has a real powerful sound.

Another Band that I've come to appreciate more on the BCD-1 is the Allman Brothers. In MC stereo with enhancer On, the album 'Beginnings' is masterfully done with excellent songs throughout. This is full bodied with depth which I call the Texas sound, after having heard a band from Texas many years ago.

Other Allman Brothers albums: Eat a Peach, Best of

Stu Pitt

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2009, 04:41 am »
If you like those Tool albums, you should really check out Undertow.  Its more powerful music and less progressive rock, so to speak.  My favorite Tool album really depends on the day, but if you like Tool, Undertow is essential IMO.

95Dyna

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2009, 04:30 pm »
I like 10,000 Days the best, it's good right up to about track 6, then I lose interest.
I only like the one song on Aenima, Hooker with a Penis. On Lateralus, Grudge which has a real powerful sound.

Another Band that I've come to appreciate more on the BCD-1 is the Allman Brothers. In MC stereo with enhancer On, the album 'Beginnings' is masterfully done with excellent songs throughout. This is full bodied with depth which I call the Texas sound, after having heard a band from Texas many years ago.

Mag, you're a man after my own heart.  I've been a huge Allman Brothers fan since I first saw them live in 1971.  Duane Allman and Berry Oakley were alive at the time.  It was about a month before the famous Filmore concerts.  The live double CD of those concerts is one of my desert island discs.  It is IMHO the greatest live recording I have ever experienced.  So add this to your list along with more recent recordings "Where It All Begins and Hittin' the Note".  These will be some of the first listens I will take when I receive my BCD-1 (soon to be ordered).  EAT A PEACH, BABY!

Bill

vegasdave

« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2009, 11:56 pm »
Black Sabbath sounds good with my Bryston gear too. heh.  :icon_twisted:

Mag

« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2009, 12:56 am »

Mag, you're a man after my own heart.  I've been a huge Allman Brothers fan since I first saw them live in 1971.  Duane Allman and Berry Oakley were alive at the time.  It was about a month before the famous Filmore concerts.  The live double CD of those concerts is one of my desert island discs.  It is IMHO the greatest live recording I have ever experienced.  So add this to your list along with more recent recordings "Where It All Begins and Hittin' the Note".  These will be some of the first listens I will take when I receive my BCD-1 (soon to be ordered).  EAT A PEACH, BABY!

Bill

I don't know if you're familiar with the 'Beginnings' album. On LP which I had since the 70's the recording is somewhat dark and muffled. The cd remix is much more transparent. I know the Yamaha enhancer is a factor, but the BCD-1 really brings out the Texas Blues sound. (cranking up the volume may compensate without an enhancer).  The 'Best of' album the Texas sound is not captured or is less apparent than 'Beginnings'.

Fillmore East is an album I should have, as I like long jam sessions. So I'll be ordering it on my next purchase.

Mag

« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2009, 01:04 am »
If you like those Tool albums, you should really check out Undertow.  Its more powerful music and less progressive rock, so to speak.  My favorite Tool album really depends on the day, but if you like Tool, Undertow is essential IMO.

I'll give Undertow a try as well on next purchase.
What I like about Tool on their good songs, is the powerful bass. On my MC system it is like psychedelic, without drugs.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2009, 04:08 am »
Undertow definitely has powerful bass.  Especially the first 4 or so tracks.

Anyone who remotely likes Black Sabbath should check out their new remastered stuff.  If you're a casual fan, check out the Greatest Hits 1970-1978 CD or Symptom of the Universe double CD.  For die hard fans, the Black Box sounds phenominal.  All are from the same remaster session and therefore sound the same.

95Dyna

« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2009, 02:27 pm »

Bill

I don't know if you're familiar with the 'Beginnings' album. On LP which I had since the 70's the recording is somewhat dark and muffled. The cd remix is much more transparent. I know the Yamaha enhancer is a factor, but the BCD-1 really brings out the Texas Blues sound. (cranking up the volume may compensate without an enhancer).  The 'Best of' album the Texas sound is not captured or is less apparent than 'Beginnings'.

Fillmore East is an album I should have, as I like long jam sessions. So I'll be ordering it on my next purchase.

I am familiar with Beginnings.  It has actually been combined with Idlewild South on a double CD.  I acquired the Idlewild South analog disk in 1970 after hearing the song Revival on FM radio.  This album also contains the original studio recordings of Midnight Rider, Don't Keep me Wonderin' and In memory of Elizabeth Reed.  Now, I really have to get that BCD-1 on order so I can check out the effect it has on the Beginnings CD you have mentioned.

Thanks for the tip.

Bill

vegasdave

« Reply #12 on: 4 Feb 2009, 08:33 pm »

Anyone who remotely likes Black Sabbath should check out their new remastered stuff.  If you're a casual fan, check out the Greatest Hits 1970-1978 CD or Symptom of the Universe double CD.  For die hard fans, the Black Box sounds phenominal.  All are from the same remaster session and therefore sound the same.

I concur. I'm listening to the Black Box right now! But, in my opinion, the vinyl is the way to go.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #13 on: 5 Feb 2009, 05:03 am »

I concur. I'm listening to the Black Box right now! But, in my opinion, the vinyl is the way to go.

Absolutely.  Earmark hit the nail on the head with the vinyl reissues.  I've used them vs the Black Box and vs the original Paranoid CD to show non-audio people the differences in analog, old digital, and new digital.  Everyone easily heard the differences (or lied to me  :D).  But I haven't converted anyone yet - its supposedly too much of a hassle.

vegasdave

« Reply #14 on: 6 Feb 2009, 06:02 am »
Those are good, but I prefer the original vinyl myself.

Keep trying! You never know...

Mag

« Reply #15 on: 1 Mar 2009, 11:35 pm »
When I really want to rock one of my best hard rock recordings played on the BCD-1 in MC is AC/DC Live in Donington. I did this by transferring the dvd version to cd-r. Those who have a BDA-1 can pipe it through direct. It sounds like I have a front row seat at the concert.

My best rock recording is the dvd Porcupine Tree- Arriving Somewhere but not Here. This however is in DTS from my dvd player. I haven't heard any other rock recording capture the harmonics of the bass guitar like this recording. All the songs are keepers once use to Porcupine Tree's style.
I played this dvd for my non-audiophile friend, but the excellent recording was not appreciated since he did not like this genre of music. To each his own.

I wonder if a excellent DTS recording such as this would even benefit piped through the BDA-1. Perhaps it would smooth it out a bit with better instrument separation, dunno.