Okay, 45 minutes til it's Dec 2nd!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 2 Dec 2003, 07:18 am »
Will someone give us the scoop on the RM30's once the clock strikes Tuesday?  I'm dying of curiousity!

BTW, what's the ETA for Marks cabinets?  Will all the speakers be available in the new cabs?

Thanks.

-R-

Woodsea

« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2003, 08:20 am »
Ok, I am here!  Back from work, and the dog is walked...time to unveil these new speakers!

rosconey

« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2003, 11:08 am »
:o jeez 6 hours into dec2 and still no word-wtf brian :mrgreen: lol

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2003, 11:56 am »
:?:  :?:  :?:  :D

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
RM30
« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2003, 03:46 pm »
The prototype RM 30 cabinets (both versions) arrive today, should have pix by the end of the week.

The RM 30 is available in two versions: the "M" series with side-firing 10" Megawoofers, and the "C" version without the side woofers for center-channel use, or for people who already have subwoofers.  M series are $3500pr, C series $1600ea.  The FST is standard, there are three mid panels and two 6 1/2" front woofers plus two bottom-firing 6 1/2" passives.  Height is 48", width 8", depth 21".

Of course all this is preliminary.  With any luck we'll be charging a lot more for a lot less! :D

Andrikos

Re: RM30
« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2003, 03:51 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
passives.  Height is 48", width 8", depth 21".

Of course all this is preliminary.  With any luck we'll be charging a lot more for a lot less! :D

Somehow, I can't imagine Dave Wilson say this because it will be true! :)

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2003, 04:10 pm »
On the "C" model, it sounds very similar to the "Shorc" that Jim had brought up.

Any chance to get the FST turned 90 degrees so the speaker can be used in a horizontal position?

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2003, 04:19 pm »
Forgot to ask, will the cabinets be made in Mark Schifter's factory,  or in the USA?

What would be the approximate availablity dates for this speaker?

Q

« Reply #8 on: 2 Dec 2003, 04:23 pm »
The prototype RM 30 cabinets (both versions) arrive today, should have pix by the end of the week.

The RM 30 is available in two versions: the "M" series with side-firing 10" Megawoofers, and the "C" version without the side woofers for center-channel use, or for people who already have subwoofers.  M series are $3500pr, C series $1600ea.  The FST is standard, there are three mid panels and two 6 1/2" front woofers plus two bottom-firing 6 1/2" passives.  Height is 48", width 8", depth 21".

Im assuming that the M is with 10" drivers, and the C uses 2 6.5s" with the 2 bottom 6.5s.  Does that mean the M also has a PR? (perhaps a 10")
the midpanels must cross higher than the 166Hz to the 6.5s, so Im wondering what that will do to midbass...what the RM40 seems to lack just a bit.

Brian Cheney

RM 30
« Reply #9 on: 2 Dec 2003, 04:45 pm »
Both styles are identical with the exception of the added side-firing 10" on the M version.

We plan to use a crossover in the 180-220Hz region with the 6 1/2"s.
You can order the system with the FST rotated 90 degrees for horizontal placement.

As for midbass there should be plenty.  If it's lacking I'll add some.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #10 on: 2 Dec 2003, 04:45 pm »
Quote from: Q
Im assuming that the M is with 10" drivers, and the C uses 2 6.5s" with the 2 bottom 6.5s.  Does that mean the M also has a PR? (perhaps a 10")
the midpanels must cross higher than the 166Hz to the 6.5s, so Im wondering what that will do to midbass...what the RM40 seems to lack just a bit.

unlikely the x-over will change much - isn't the 626r also crossed over at 166hz?

unlikely the m wersion will have a passive 10", as it wouldn't fit in a cabinet only 8" wide.  seems it will still use the two 6.5" passives...

also, brian, thanks for doing this, as i requested on harmonic discord almost two years ago.  & i dint even have to send ya $20k!   :lol:

doug s.

Marbles

« Reply #11 on: 2 Dec 2003, 04:47 pm »
What are the new subs like?

John Kotches

« Reply #12 on: 2 Dec 2003, 04:53 pm »
Brian,

Will you be bringing along the RM30s with you to CES?  Inquiring minds would like to know.

Best,

Mathew_M

« Reply #13 on: 2 Dec 2003, 05:00 pm »
What are the sensitivity and impedance ratings going to be?  Any chance on using a tube amp?  Also if I were to upgrade my 626R I'd be interested in a speaker that has built in amplification for the woofers.  That way I could biamp easily with an 'inexpensive' lower wattage tube amp.

Also the RM30 doesn't by any chance look like the prototype that audioarchitech drew up a few months back?  I really liked that design but I remember Brian saying that it would be highly difficult to engineer at any reasonable cost.

JoshK

« Reply #14 on: 2 Dec 2003, 05:04 pm »
questions, questions, questions.... Looks like Big B has done it again.  THis looks to be a very interesting product.  Ask and ye shall receive.  Talking about a big center?  Well looks like you got it.

Q

Re: RM 30
« Reply #15 on: 2 Dec 2003, 05:19 pm »
Both styles are identical with the exception of the added side-firing 10" on the M version.

We plan to use a crossover in the 180-220Hz region with the 6 1/2"s.
You can order the system with the FST rotated 90 degrees for horizontal placement.

As for midbass there should be plenty.  If it's lacking I'll add some.

Hmmmmm....maybe for those not needing the ultimate in detail and resolution, but needing plenty of punch for rock, blues, etc....this coupled with a sub as a base stand, as many have done with the 626 is THE low cost answer!  A bit higher crossover will allow just a bit more smack for toms/snares and plucked strings I would imagine.  Leading edge impact I would expect should be more aggressive.  Does the FST reside between the two midbass drivers...so that the FST sits at ear level when placed on a sub....OR, is it at the top of the cabinet, where floor standing is optimal?

Brian Cheney

RM30
« Reply #16 on: 2 Dec 2003, 05:20 pm »
The RM 30 will be our Best of CES competition entry for the 2004 and will be shown in a Trinaural configuration with the 215 Subwoofer and the new Son of Ampzilla.

The RM 30 cabinet is made by Bud Bailey at VIP Woodworks in Apple Valley CA.  The active 6.5" is a specially developed Graphite cone and an upgrade WCF 6.5" Megawoofer will also be available.

Delivery is expected no later than Jan 30.

John Kotches

« Reply #17 on: 2 Dec 2003, 05:34 pm »
Brian,

What's the -3dB point for M and C versions, and in a multi-channel environment with full bass management is there any reason to go with the M version over C?

jgubman

« Reply #18 on: 2 Dec 2003, 06:14 pm »
Brian, is the C going to be a sealed box, ported or slot loaded?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #19 on: 2 Dec 2003, 06:28 pm »
Quote from: jgubman
Brian, is the C going to be a sealed box, ported or slot loaded?

brian sez there are two passive down-firing 6.5" drivers - sounds like slot-loaded to me...

doug s.