Performance of the interconnect cables

Fernar

Performance of the interconnect cables
« on: 23 Jan 2009, 04:19 pm »
I did comment on the difference I saw on my setup with my new 4BSST2 installed - basically I was seeing better bass and a wider soundstage - but the imaging seemed to less....

Today I swapped around the interconnect cable attaching the pre-amp to the power amp (from a set of Audioquest to Chords) - and what a difference...!

Imaging back, an even wider soundstage and deeper more controlled bass.... just phoned the dealer to let me try out the cable further up the range to see if I can get even more improvements...

I never thought that a 1 meter of cable could make such a difference..!

I am finding myself re-listening to my CD collection again - it's been a long time since I have such a hike in the improvement of sound....
 :D

nobel

Re: Performance of the interconnect cables
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2009, 01:19 pm »

I would be interested to know what Chord interconnects you are using. Mine are Chord Anthems and Odyssey 2 cable

Fernar

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2009, 05:50 pm »
Nobel - the Chord cable I used is a Chrysalis - which is no longer made - today I swapped this out for a Chord Anthems - which to my ears sounded a major improvement on the old Chrysalis.

Bass, image, stage, detail, etc. a lot better - very happy with this cable.... I guess you get what you pay for..

Now I am considering what improvement I could make channging the speaker cables - I am arranging a loan of the Odyssey 2 and the Odyssey 4..... to replace the Audioquest I have at the moment (purchased 10 years ago...!)

I must admit that I didnt plan on the change of power amp creating an upgrade of the cables in my system...

nobel

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2009, 10:13 pm »

Thanks for that.

The most important point to note is that the cable between the pre-amp and the cd player, if you can, needs also to be changed to an Anthem. You will get much more detail and great synergy and more of the improvements you mentioned first time around. Also the Odyssey will perfectly complement the two cables and the sound will be that much sweeter with great bass.

Go for it.

Fernar

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2009, 07:55 am »
Nobel - I dont have a CD player as such - it's a Tag Maclaren traansport (DVD32R) which is connect Tag AV Processor (AV32R) via a specifically designed Tag coax cable (there is also a clock sync cable between the transport and processor).

So the only analogue parths I have is between the Tag processor and the 4BSSTs and the speakers... so it now a decision as it if bi-wireing makes a difference in sound.

What speakers are you using? Did you try the Odyssey 4 by any chance? If so I am guessing that it didnt make a difference.

I am running Wilson Benesch Curves - which should be 'walk in the park' for the 4BSST - however I have the opportunity of buying a second hand 4BSST (non squared version) in a short time and I am keen to hear what bi-amping two powerful amps brings to the table.... It may be that I will be better off upgrading some of my other equipment (specifically my turntable - but is very much a secondary source of music....)

nobel

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2009, 12:50 pm »

hi ya

The speakers I am using are PMC OB1's which are more than adequet for my room. I have tried the Odyssey 4 and although it is bi-wirable to my ears there was not mush difference, However i am contemplating upgrading the Speaker cable to Chords Super epic which is £ 78.00 per metre when funds are available. Although the Odyssey is good the epic super twin as with the Anthem pushes the capabilities of my system to the max.

I have the 4 bsst . Does the new amp improve the sound or are the changes more on a cosmetic front

Fernar

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2009, 08:36 pm »
I have never owned a Bryston amp before - I did have a loaner 4BSST for a weekend and liked the overall sound - however I didnt really get a chance to listen 'in detail' so to speak - and it was nearly three months after that the 4BSST actually arrived on my door - which I turned out to be a 4BSST2... is there a difference in sound? Hard to tell if the differences I think I hear are real or my wishful thinking that the sound is better.. without a side by side compairson I dont think it really easy to tell - after all the 'old 4BSST' was/is a very good amp - otherwise I would not have purchased in the first place..

The differences I see are:

1) Front panel On/Off switch - which is no longer a membrane switch - but looking at it, they both look the same
2) At the back there appears to be a LED which is on all the time - I dont recall seeing this on the old 4BSST

Apart from these two items I really cant see any differences....

If you thinking of selling your current 4BSST to get a 4BSST2 - personally I would would not bother - the loss in the transaction is not worth it - also the 4BSST2 has a higher price since end of last year - due to currency exchange rates between the $ and the UK pound (I guess this would not effect you if you are in the US)

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2009, 12:52 am »
That's hard to say, really, since you did not compare both amps side by side, true?

Fernar

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2009, 10:50 am »
Yes true - and I have not seen any side by side comparison.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2009, 11:10 pm »
I see. I haven't either. I heard the new 7B's @ CES, and I was quite taken by them.

I would definitely do a shoot out either at a dealer or if you have a friend that has just an SST.