Music Vault II or build a music/server/dedicated computer.

Tacoma

I've spent a couple of weeks looking at as many posts and past threads on as many different sites as I can and have not been able to actually find one that answers my questions, so I thought I'd post.

Just bought the Transporter, and the next step is a dedicated music computer  Then once that's done a Modwright on the Transporter.

What's the feedback on the Music Vault II? 

Is it worth it?  (I have a nice home stereo where a bad source makes a big difference.)

If it's not worth it, what would a guy use for parts and software to make a stripped down music computer.

This would be only for storage and accessing the Pandora/internet radio/and built in CD or DVD ripper with 1 to 1/12 TB storage with total backup.(which brands, stability being a major factor)   The Internet radio accessible 24/7 is what made the Music Vault appealing.

This again would only be for CD storage, and would be sitting next to my PC, so it would not be used for anything else. This would be on constantly so noise and power consumption would be a factor.  A keyboard/mouse/monitor would only be used to setup and then removed.

I would have the local computer shop build it as I don't have the knowledge to pick the best components that work in symmetry  They've built me two already, and done fine long lasting computers. Infotechnow.com in Federal Way Wa.

Anyone that would be willing to help and needs any advice on any building projects, I'd be glad to help out-plumbing/electrical/structural etc.  I'm a hands on trouble shooter for large property management companies and residential.  Not much I can't do. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Music Vault II or build a music/server/dedicated computer.
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2009, 06:56 pm »
I don't think MVII is worth the money.  I think you can build a NAS with imbedded OS to run Slim Server for lot less.   Net Gear ReadyNas works fine but I think you can have one built for less.

Sound Science

• Industry Participant
    • Sound Science Home Audio
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2009, 05:26 pm »
Greetings,

I am the designer and builder of the Music Vault so I have a certain bias and would be happy to answer any questions.
I can always be reached at neal@soundsciencecat.com

The Music Vault is much more than a NAS drive as it fully completes the Transporter or any of the SB family of players.

The Music Vault II has its own wireless network for communicating with up to 8 of the Logitech Players. 

The advantage to the Music Vault having its own network is that you can still use your existing home network for computer things without any dropouts while trying to stream music.  I had 2 teenagers in the house and both were playing internet games on line which  caused drop outs while I was listening to my Transporter. The Music Vaults wireless network solves this issue.

The Music Vault II automatically rips your Cd's and gathers the album art for you, no NAS does that.

The Music Vault II automatically backs up your Music to a second internal drive from the Music Vault II 1,000 and higher. The Music Vault II 500 can be configured to auto back up to an external USB Drive.

The Music Vault II operates without the need of monitor, mouse or keyboard and allows you to turn off your computer system.

The Music Vault II's operating system is a true server operating system and when you fill up the internal drives and add external drives the new drives simply add storage to your existing music folder.  This is particularly helpful with the way Squeeze Center operates as it doesn't make life easy if you have multiple locations for your music on your network.

The Music Vault II makes updating to the latest version of Squeeze Center Trivial, again something not common in a NAS drive.

Many of my hard core audiophile customers tell me that the Music Vault sounds better to them than the same files played from their computer.  This is another advantage of the operating system on the Music Vault.

The Music Vault is silent when it is in normal operation and only makes noise when ripping a CD.

The Music Vault has enough RAM to buffer most of a CD before playback giving you all the benefits of a solid state player without the high cost.

If you are a DIY guy you can certainly build a music server yourself and if you are very good it will sound as good as the Music Vault.
In my life as an audiophile with children and before that as a student with nearly no funds I have built many of my own audio toys.
It was very satisfying and I liked showing them off.
I have built Preamplifiers, Amplifiers, Turntables and speakers in the old days.  Any one can build anything with enough time and knowledge.

If you don't want to design your own music server or you just want to buy one that works as advertised please consider the Music Vault.

I think that you will find that the Music Vault is one of the best values in Music Servers.

funkmonkey

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2009, 02:16 am »
The Transporter gives you Pandora/internet radio without an additional computer.  Just set it to connect to squeeze network.  Done.

Sound Science

• Industry Participant
    • Sound Science Home Audio
« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2009, 04:39 am »
That is true.  On the other hand Internet radio which sounds OK is all MP3.  While the Transporter does a fine job so does the SB or the Duet.  The same music ripped from a CD to a Music Vault sounds significantly better.

TONEPUB

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2009, 04:52 am »
Neither, get a new HP Touch Smart and run Zune software.  It's awesome!

mikel51

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2009, 01:07 am »
I can definitely recommend against using a ReadyNAS NV as your server.  I have a windows computer running squeeze center and also a ReadyNAS NV.  The ReadyNAS is way underpowered, it is too slow.  I always use my windows server.  I have been curious about the new ReadyNAS PRO which has an intel processor and should be much faster.

I definitely recommend the transporter and the modwright mods for the transporter.

I can't comment on the music vault vs. a windows machine as your music server.   It doesn't take much of a windows machine to serve up squeeze center; the main feature you need is enough hard disc space to store your music and ripping software.  I use JRivers media center.  Many others are using DBpoweramp and are happy.  I think that is where I would go if I weren't using media center to also manage my ipod.