Idiot Mac Newbie Question

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
Idiot Mac Newbie Question
« on: 21 Jan 2009, 11:34 pm »
can you use iPhone/Touch apps on your MacBook?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm new to this.

Thanks gentleman,

Dan

mattyturner

Re: Idiot Mac Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2009, 12:26 am »
No... they only work on the iPhone or iPod touch.
Whatever apps you download are backed up to whatever computer you sync your phone/ipod to though.

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:38 am »
shoot.  That's what I figured.  There are so many cool apps I wish I didn't have to have a Touch/iPhone to use them.

Thanks though.  I appreciate the info.

Dan

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2009, 09:25 am »
I would be surprised if there wasn't an iPhone simulator of some kind in the SDK (software development kit).

Crimson

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2009, 11:35 am »
I would be surprised if there wasn't an iPhone simulator of some kind in the SDK (software development kit).

Yes, there is.

mattyturner

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2009, 05:48 pm »
Not sure you can run iTunes store downloaded software through the simulator.
And even if there was an easy way to run iPhone apps on a mac, not sure what the point is?

Many apps are designed around the iPhone/iPod features (GPS, motion sensors) or have limited functionality (e.g. they're for a mobile platform so they do one thing but do it well)... if you think the apps are that awesome the only way to experience them is on an iPhone or iPod touch. They wouldn't be nearly as cool through a simulator.

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2009, 07:48 pm »
There are many iPhone/Touch apps that are cool audio tool--RTA, SPL, etc...  It would be fun to learn more about using such tool w/o having to buy the real and expensive versions of such things.  I want a touch so bad, but really just can't justify the price so I was hoping to be able to use the apps on my MacBook.  Oh well. :?  They are very cool though.

mattyturner

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2009, 08:01 pm »
But there is plenty of that kind of software available for the mac already, much more full featured. There are also lots of Windows options available if you can run parallels or fusion. (one example - http://www.faberacoustical.com/products/ )

Besides, not sure how much use an RTA on an iPhone is going to be with the built in microphone?

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2009, 08:26 pm »
Yea, there are a lot of nice programs out there that are more than I need for a beginner and way more than what I am willingto spend when I know nothing about how to use properly.  I just thought the cheap apps would be nice to learn about proper use of such things and then go from there if better is required.  Nice link though.  Thanks! :thumb:

Dan