Crossover Question

Wind Chaser

Crossover Question
« on: 21 Jan 2009, 11:01 am »
Imagine two different, but similar speakers.  They have the same mid band driver and crossover point, but they have different tweeters.  If the tweeters are almost equal in terms of sensitivity, is it safe to assume they will work reasonably well in both systems?

dyohn

• the12volt.com
Re: Crossover Question
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2009, 02:20 pm »
Imagine two different, but similar speakers.  They have the same mid band driver and crossover point, but they have different tweeters.  If the tweeters are almost equal in terms of sensitivity, is it safe to assume they will work reasonably well in both systems?

It depends on the impedance curve and the fs of the two tweeters.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2009, 02:35 pm »
By crossover point are you referring to actually using the same crossover? Swapping out tweeters?

In addition to dyohn's comments, it also depends on the response curve.

dyohn

• the12volt.com
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2009, 08:57 pm »
Yep.  You can't just swap tweeters (or any other driver) and expect good results.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:39 am »
By crossover point are you referring to actually using the same crossover? Swapping out tweeters?

Yes, the crossover point is the same and so is the slope as far as I can see.

However neither of the two tweeter manufactures publish the FS or the actual impedance curve.  Guess that kills that idea.

The reason for the inquiry was I’d like to rebuild my enclosures, and when it comes to drilling holes for tweeters, it's much easier to drill a small round hole than a small rectangular hole.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:49 am »
You've got me curious.  Which tweeter are you trying to use?

markC

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:32 am »
If the manufacturers don't publish fs, then I'm betting that they don't publish re or le either. Without re and le it's a crap shoot at best. IMO of course.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:41 am »
You've got me curious.  Which tweeter are you trying to use?

Here’s the story.  I bought the OB2X prototype from Al Wooley.  I’m really happy with the sound, even more so after applying the Diffraction Be Gone pads.  Those are definitely worth trying…

However, being test samples, enclosures aren’t the greatest quality.  The crossovers were hot glued and not screwed down.  As a result they’ve come loose in transit and that has become problematic.

The cutout for the ribbon has to be rectangular, whereas if I were to sub the Neo 3 PDR, I could get away with cutting a round hole.  That was the intent.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:44 am »
If the manufacturers don't publish fs, then I'm betting that they don't publish re or le either. Without re and le it's a crap shoot at best. IMO of course.

Sometimes a crapshoot leads to serendipity.  All I was hoping for was convenience.

markC

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2009, 03:16 am »

Sometimes a crapshoot leads to serendipity.  All I was hoping for was convenience.

Then have at it. Build up a cheap & dirty test mule and see what happens.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2009, 12:56 pm »
Build up a cheap & dirty test mule and see what happens.

In light of the above responses, I am a little hesitant to spend $100 for a pair or tweeters that may or may not work in my system.  And for some reason I thought the Neo 3pdr was round at the back, but it's not... does it require a fitted rectangular cut out or will can it fit inside a circular cut?

If it will fit inside a circular cut, than it comes down to hopefully getting lucky with the Neo's vs. a labor intensive cut for the native ribbon.

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2009, 04:01 pm »
I can make that work for you but it would require a new crossover design.

A new box may be easier.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2009, 04:12 pm »
Rebuilding them sort of implies a new box, but I like the original concept of the small footprint.  I not sure I understand what you mean by "a new box may be easier"?

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jan 2009, 04:16 pm »
My bad, for some reason I was thinking your were debating building a new box or not.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jan 2009, 04:20 pm »
I pretty much have to in order to secure the crossovers.  Plus I'm thinking they'll look a little nicer, not that they are butt ugly or anything.

KS

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jan 2009, 07:48 pm »
I thought the Neo 3pdr was round at the back, but it's not... does it require a fitted rectangular cut out or will can it fit inside a circular cut?

If it will fit inside a circular cut, than it comes down to hopefully getting lucky with the Neo's vs. a labor intensive cut for the native ribbon.
The NEO 3pdr fits into a round hole with some notches carved out...any tool will work for the notches.

HT cOz

« Reply #16 on: 22 Jan 2009, 09:10 pm »
Maybe you could post some pictures?  Somebody here might have some ideas on salvaging the baffle. No sense in changing a perfectly good design just to accomidate an easier baffle cut. Plus with the money your spending on new parts you could be putting to a professional cabinet build.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jan 2009, 02:39 am »
I'm not too concerned about salvaging the baffles.  Al said he ripped these up in 20 minutes with left over scrap plywood.  All things considered, they don't look too bad.  Levi posted 6 pictures after the dog in the link below...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=43029.160