My new DeepHemp - pictures and a great tweak!

Alwayswantmore

My new DeepHemp - pictures and a great tweak!
« on: 20 Jan 2009, 10:41 pm »
Hi all;

I've only had my DeepHemp a few weeks, so theoretically it's not even broken in. But honestly I can say: Of the three subs I've owned, none even even close to the DeepHemp for reproducing great music  aa

I have the sub against a back wall, behind my right Super 6 Alnico Monitor. I NEVER hear the position of the sub -- it is totally connected to the room.

My other subs have been a Vandersteen 2W (with their $800 balanced crossover) and an ACI Force XL.

I have always been a fan of monitor speakers for their great imaging. But from the time I first acquired the Vandersteen, I've been spoiled -- I NEED the low-end foundation to be totally satisfied when listening.

On the other hand, I have always felt that low-end response was a weakness in my system. Largely I attributed this to the fact I listen in small rooms (basically bedrooms).

...the DeepHemp is changing my thoughts on subs. This thing is tight. Not only that, I have found cuts that literally shake your butt! To the point if feels like my listening chair is wired to an airplane or subway. [Specifically: Flim & The BBs, The Further Adventures, Rokeby Garden.]

I am thrilled with the DeepHemp and can only imagine how good it would sound with a stereo pair!

Note: While none of the subs I've owned did an exemplary job with the opening to 2001 A Space Odyssey (ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA), the DeepHemp is by far the most musical sub I've ever owned. Period. Based on my experience, the DH is a great deal for music lovers in the under $1,500 range.

I also found a must-have tweak for anyone running their DeepHemp on thick carpet. I purchased an unfinished Timbernation 2" maple base. The base is 1" wider on all sides compared to the DH, 2" thick, unfinished (recommended by Louis over lacquered), and comes from Timbernation with VERY HEAVY steel spikes.

BTW: I highly recommend Chris at Timbernation. Much better pricing than Mapleshade, excellent work and fast delivery. Based on what I gather from other comments I've read, Timbernation offers a very high quality product for the $. If you are using a DeepHemp on heavy carpet, based on my experience, adding a Timbernation maple base is a no-brainer! Contact info: http://www.timbernation.com/

Even though the unit is not fully broken in, I'm still extremely satisfied!

PICTS

DeepHemp in Wenge to match my Cherry & Wenge Super 6 Alnico Monitors

DeepHemp Driver & 2.25" Gold-plated spikes on Timbernation 2" Maple Base

Timbernation 2" Unfinished Maple Base, w/ Carpet Piercing Spikes

Link for Timbernation: http://www.timbernation.com/

Kent
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2009, 03:56 am by Alwayswantmore »

rajacat

• Washington State
Re: My new DeepHemp - pictures and a great tweak!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2009, 10:59 pm »
I love the understated elegance of the Wenge used for your Deep Hemp. :inlove:

--Ro

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2009, 11:07 pm »
If you notice, the DeepHemp does NOT have a badge on the front.

Louis is a car guy (big time!). I explained my logic on badges -- and he got it! The DH has an Omega badge on the back, under the plate amp. And my Super 6 Alnico Monitors sport the new understated Omega Alnico badge in plain sight. Nice!

ZLS

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2009, 11:42 pm »
    Are you using the power Cord that Louis recommends? 

If so, can you describe the difference between that and a stock power cord? 

BTW, +1 for Chris at Timbernation. 

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2009, 01:00 am »

Stock cord.

ZLS

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2009, 02:43 am »

Stock cord.

You owe it to yourself to order the Crestar (sic) power cord.  They are available at Austinhifi.com.  The improvement is unfreakin' believable.  I know it shouldn't be, I know it doesn't make any sense, but it just is. 

The question always arises in a case like this is the improvement worth the price?  I would say that I can without hesitation answer yes in as much as the cost of the cord is less than $20! 

It is low cost tweaks such as this that Louis and the rest of the Omega Speakers owners share with each other that makes me glad that I purchased my Omega Speakers.  Louis is the one who previously posted about this. 

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:43 am »

Stock cord.

You owe it to yourself to order the Crestar (sic) power cord.  They are available at Austinhifi.com.  The improvement is unfreakin' believable.  I know it shouldn't be, I know it doesn't make any sense, but it just is. 

The question always arises in a case like this is the improvement worth the price?  I would say that I can without hesitation answer yes in as much as the cost of the cord is less than $20! 

It is low cost tweaks such as this that Louis and the rest of the Omega Speakers owners share with each other that makes me glad that I purchased my Omega Speakers.  Louis is the one who previously posted about this. 
Thanks Zack. I have planned to order the power cord, but haven't gotten around to it.

Interesting side note: Both the Vandersteen 2W and ACI Force XL, my two previous subs, had permanently fixed cords. So of the three I've owned, Omega is the only sub with a removable PC.

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2009, 01:16 am »
Hi Kent,

Try them out if you can and I think we should put timbernation on the links. I like his products.

Thanks,
Louis