Hi-Res Playback - Not Sure Yet?

niels

Re: Hi-Res Playback - Not Sure Yet?
« Reply #40 on: 23 Jan 2009, 08:35 pm »
Yeah, 24/96 flac. Audacity shows the level the song is recorded in, any clipping etc will show in red, the more dynamics a song has the narrrower the trace.
Funny thing, I downloaded the aiff, but the Squeezebox 3 wouldnt play it, not even after I converted it to 24/44.1
I dont know what happened, but I discovered a 24/96 flac copy on my desktop, and that the SB3 is happy to play (it throws away every other sample), and this is the file you see from Audacity.
I have been trawling my music, and I cant find any other song that is mastered that well, or low if you will. What is similar is the test download from 2L of Marianne Thorsen and the Trondheim Solistene. Very very smooth indeed.
http://www.2l.musiconline.no/shop/displayAlbum.asp?id=31396

You might want to take a look at the Divertimenti also, scroll a bit down on this page, its available in any format you can think of :
http://www.2l.no/2L.htm
Here is for comparison a shot of Jheena Lodwick "Emerald City" from the Usher Demo cd at the 25th HiEnd show in Taipei. Have to say that the song is awesome, her voice is simply stunning...

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #41 on: 23 Jan 2009, 08:55 pm »
I for once get to brag that I was one of the first to buy Divertimenti here in the States (at least according to 2L who said my feedback was their first at least, other than the pre-release reviewers copies).  It's very very good, but only a couple opf cuts are to my liking musically.  It did convince me that my Modwright SACD player (Denon 3910) sounds better via analog than my Oppo 980 via HDMi or my early Sammy blu-Ray.  Haven't tried in on the newer Panny 35k.  it surprised me cuz the Onkyo Pro 885 is not strojg in the analog in/out category.  I miss my analog mch preamps.

niels

« Reply #42 on: 23 Jan 2009, 09:25 pm »
Its really scary how music looks like in Audacity! And the loudness war just goes on.
But its not an indication on totally bad sound I think, the example of the Usher demo cd really surprised me.
Yeah, 2L is maybe not entirely to my tastes either, but they really deserve kudos for an eye on detail in all regards.
I have downloaded stuff from Linn also, and thats really good too.....