MaxCast

Yellow Brick Road released
« on: 1 Dec 2003, 05:21 pm »
Anyone get it yet?

link to release

SWG255

« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2003, 10:23 pm »
I've seen the information about it from Elusive Disc & Acoustic Sounds and was confused by both. There are apparently two versions, both claiming to be "DeLuxe" or something like that, one selling for $10 more than the other. Can anyone explain the differences between the two versions of "Yellow Brick Road"?

Thanks.

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2003, 11:50 am »
Follow the link.  The more expensive one has a DVD with it.

SWG255

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2003, 02:46 am »
Thanks MaxCast. I guess I'd have figured it out eventually, I just saw the two "Yellow Brick Road" discs for the two prices and didn't really look further. I'll probably pick this up soon, although my old Mo-Fi of it sounds pretty good. I never owned this EJ album on vinyl back in the 70's, so i can't say whether the LP was sonically superior.

BTW, my RM40s sound fabulous right out of their boxes and they look great too. Audio nervana again!

Quote from: MaxCast
Follow the link.  The more expensive one has a DVD with it.

Ears

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2003, 02:06 am »
Is this the new SA-CD/CD/Surround  hybrid version or just another rehashed cd?

SWG255

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2003, 03:01 am »
Hi,

It's supposed to be a surround re-mix according to bhe blurbs I read on Elusive Disc.

Quote from: Ears
Is this the new SA-CD/CD/Surround  hybrid version or just another rehashed cd?

mca

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2003, 09:22 pm »
I just picked up this SACD disk at Costco for $18.99. It's always nice to go Christmas shopping and find a present for yourself  :D I'll let you all know how it sounds after I get a chance to listen to it.

MaxCast

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2003, 11:22 pm »
Thanks mca, that seems like a good price.

ak645

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2003, 06:17 pm »
Picked it up at Best Buy for $20.It is Excellent on my 2 ch. system.

Andy

MaxCast

« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2003, 01:31 am »
Got YBR and  Allison Krauss tonight for Christmas.  Will follow up later.

Ears

« Reply #10 on: 23 Dec 2003, 06:44 pm »
Quote from: ak645
Picked it up at Best Buy for $20.It is Excellent on my 2 ch. system.

Andy

Even though quite a few people were not impressed whith the audio quality on YBR over at the audio asylum,I looked for it at BB anyway and found it for 27.99....are there two sa-cd versions of this release or is BB trying to fleece me?

MaxCast

« Reply #11 on: 23 Dec 2003, 10:26 pm »
Ears, there are two releases.  One has a DVD on the making of YBR.

Ears

« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2003, 01:06 am »
These are sa-cd's...do the sa-cd's come whith a dvd?

Saw the same fleecing going on at CC today as they wanted 33.95

ak645

« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2003, 01:46 am »
When I got mine at BB it was marked $27.99,but it rang up $19.99 at the register.Of course just cuz it was on sale Thursday (when I got mine) Doesn't mean it's still on sale now.I think there's only one way to find out for sure,and that's to take it to the register and see what price comes up.There's also some talk that Costco has it for $18.99.

As for the sonics.Tonally correct with a HUGE soundstage,and well placed images.Better then my beat-up vinyl,and much better then my cd.There's also a remastered cd plus the MoFi neither of which I've heard.I think a lot of the criticism at AA had to with a too aggresive mch mix which put too much info in the rears.I wouldn't know about that since I only do stereo.HTH.

Andy

F-100

« Reply #14 on: 24 Dec 2003, 10:53 am »
Picked mine up at Costco for $18.99 last night. I listened to couple tracks on 2 Channel mode and my impression on this CD is average, no Oscar nominee from me on this one :-).

PeteG

« Reply #15 on: 24 Dec 2003, 06:20 pm »
I agree with F-100, I listened only to the 2ch SACD/CD and
it's average at best and to top it off I paid about $25 for the non-DVD disc  :cry:

Haoleb

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jan 2004, 12:09 am »
I just picked this disc up at costco today, the one costco is selling doesnt have the DVD with it. (who cares)

One of the reasons i got it was because the other EJ cd i got which is some 8 dollar best of that costco is also selling is kina messed up, the level of the sound is very low, which means you have to really turn it up to hear it good. i think this SACD version is probbly better sounding but i havent listened to it on my system yet. only through my grado's.

I dont have a SACD player though, only cd. Ive been buying all the SACD versions of my recent purchases where it was available, incase i ever do buy an sacdp but isint it also true that hybrid discs sound better on redbook than a non sacd version since its recorded in DSD?

Allezvite

belated post
« Reply #17 on: 25 Feb 2004, 08:22 pm »
How about $55.00 for the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs CD version about ten years ago.  ARRGGH!!