New FedEx spikes!

jsalk

New FedEx spikes!
« on: 18 Jan 2009, 05:16 am »
David needed cabinets for a single driver speaker he wanted to try out.  So we built a pair of custom cabinets for him.  The design is a stand-mounted speaker, so they didn't require any spikes.  But apparently FedEx thought otherwise.  They decided to deliver a new custom spike along with the speakers.  Here it is...

As you can see, it is a heavy duty design - about 4" long and made from cast iron.  They don't get any more robust than this.  Here's another view...

FedEx obviously didn't want to undo our nice packing job, so they simply inserted the spike to the package itself. 

All Dave had to do when the package arrived, was simply remove it...the utmost in convenience.

This new spike was just the right size as well.  It passed through two layers of cardboard, two layers of 1 3/4" foam and right through the grill which was packed between them.  The point came to rest on one of the cabinets, scratched the finish, but did not even mar the veneer itself.  They obviously had it measured perfectly.

Now that is high-tech engineering if I must say so. Kudos FedEx!

- Jim

« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2009, 02:29 pm by jsalk »

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: New FedEx spikes!
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2009, 05:29 am »
Wow!  Go FedEx!

Toka

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2009, 09:37 am »
Consumerist.com anyone?

Those photos are remarkable beyond words, for all the wrong reasons...how in the world could that happen? And who is posting on another site about a missing spike?

funkmonkey

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2009, 10:33 am »
 :duh:  Wow!  That is amazing.  One of the boxes my HT3 came packed in had a similar puncture wound, though quite a bit smaller and it had no spike embedded in it.  I would think that the Fragile markings would indicate something breakable inside and would warrant some more thoughtful handling....

Nice goin' FedEx  :nono:

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2009, 11:00 am »
David needed cabinets for a single driver speaker he wanted to try out.  So we built a pair of custom cabinets for him.  The design is a stand-mounted speaker, so they didn't require any spikes.  But apparently FedEx thought otherwise.  They decided to deliver a new custom spike along with the speakers.  Here it is...

As you can see, ....................................
- Jim

Just watch this thread grow.  FedEx, UPS, USPS horror stories abound!

ckline

• Tel Wire
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2009, 02:18 pm »
SWEET :thumb:  Do you happen to have any pricing information?

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2009, 02:30 pm »
SWEET :thumb:  Do you happen to have any pricing information?

This was a FREE sample!

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2009, 02:59 pm »
By the way, here are the speakers themselves...

- Jim

rydenfan

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2009, 07:13 pm »
Golfugh, were you at??  :wink:

jhm731

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2009, 07:19 pm »
By the way, here are the speakers themselves...

- Jim

Great looking speakers.

What would a pair of these cost?

Don_S

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2009, 08:24 pm »
Those speakers look hot, hot, hot. Beautiful job. I saw a lot of great looking automotive finishes at CES but I still have a big soft spot for nicely done wood.

TONEPUB

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2009, 10:01 pm »
Question is, why did the person accept the package?

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2009, 10:32 pm »
My goodness Jim, what beautiful speakers!  Can I get a set of four of those spikes for my HT3?  Actually I could use a couple of dozen of them.   I will mount them on all sides pointing out to keep people from putting their grimy hands on the speakers.

Best regards,

Frank

P.S.  How do the single driver speakers sound?

Nuance

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2009, 02:50 am »
Those speakers look great, Jim.  What a shame about Fed Ex.  Currier services just don't seem to care about other's valuables anymore.   :cry:

fishinbob

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2009, 02:25 pm »
If I were to place some speakers in the fireplace those would be the spikes of choice. As a matter of fact....... aa