turntable placemnt

Bill

turntable placemnt
« on: 18 Jan 2009, 04:12 am »
I will  have a very simple system (when I have my 12'X19'X8' room done) consisting of only a phono preamp, an amp - or possibly monos - turntable and of course speakers. I will probably have the speakers well out in the room. I have heard to never put the 'table in corners or on the rear wall. This makes sense. I have also heard to put it between the speakers and slightly behind. This would make everything compact. I suppose most people put their 'tables and othe gear on the wall behind the speakers. This would seem to be the easiest but is it the best spot?

Thanks, Bill

BobM

Re: turntable placemnt
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2009, 03:21 pm »
The best spot would be outside the room, where it doesn't have any interfearance from the sound the system produces. This is usually impractical for most people. Just make sure it is on a solid rack/shelf with good isolation. A wall shelf on a load bearing wall is often the easiest and sometimes the best option. If you can't do that then a mass loaded rack spiked to a concrete floor works well, but you will still probably need something under it, like a Ginko Cloud, unless the TT is itself a suspended design.

Good luck,
Bob

Quiet Earth

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2009, 04:25 pm »
I'm sure there is some real merit to the ideas that you are concerned with but consider this. The harder you try to place your turntable (or any other component) into the theoretically perfect location, the higher the odds are that you won't use it very much. Instead, try to put it where you want to put it, and enjoy the heck out of it.  :thumb:

I would not worry about it too much unless you are experiencing a problem.

FWIW, my table is on a non audiophile rack, up against the back wall, and only 5 or 6 feet away from either speaker. Each speaker is also right up against the back wall and (gulp!) near a corner.  :nono: I actually prefer the sound of the system much more than when I had the speakers out into the room, à la the Cardas method. It sounds so much more like real music now, and much less like hi-fi to me.

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything,,,,,,,, just food for thought.  :wink:

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2009, 06:12 pm »
When your playing vinyl at your normal listening level, put your finger on the table's plinth. Do you feel any vibration from the music radiating on the plinth? If so, you may have to take some steps as Bob has suggested. What may happen is simply feedback of vibrations from speaker to catridge. What Bob is also suggesting is not to put the table in the corner, as that is a place where bass likes to concentrate and bass has the most energy to cause a feedback loop. Otherwise, Quiet Earths idea is great, too. Sit down, relax spin some vinyl, have a favorite brew........

Wayner  :D

andyr

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2009, 08:53 am »

I will  have a very simple system (when I have my 12'X19'X8' room done) consisting of only a phono preamp, an amp - or possibly monos - turntable and of course speakers. I will probably have the speakers well out in the room. I have heard to never put the 'table in corners or on the rear wall. This makes sense. I have also heard to put it between the speakers and slightly behind. This would make everything compact. I suppose most people put their 'tables and othe gear on the wall behind the speakers. This would seem to be the easiest but is it the best spot?

Thanks, Bill

Various "old wives' tales" get promulgated easily across the Internet.  :o

I have my LP12 on a wallshelf centred about 700m from the corner, attached to the back wall.  This is probably a so-called "bad location"!  :lol:

My speakers are up the other end of an 8m long room.

One way of quickly seeing if your location is problematic is to rest a glass of water on the plinth (or nearby) and see if you get any ripples on the surface when the music is playing.  That will tell you if you're getting any interference from room nodes (I don't).

Regards,

Andy

twitch54

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2009, 03:14 pm »
I have my LP12 on a wallshelf centred about 700m from the corner, attached to the back wall. 
Andy

Geez Louise...that's gotta be the longest interconnect known to mankind !! I can't imagine walking a half mile just to change a record !

andyr

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2009, 09:27 pm »

Geez Louise...that's gotta be the longest interconnect known to mankind !! I can't imagine walking a half mile just to change a record !

Que???   :?  My phono stage sits next to the TT; the preamp is next to that.  :D

Regards,

Andy

twitch54

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2009, 10:05 pm »
Andy...read your original post, you mentioned being "centered 700m from the corner"....that's damn near 2300 ft !!

I'm sure it was a typo, thus my 'lighthearted' response !!!

andyr

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2009, 10:09 pm »
Andy...read your original post, you mentioned being "centered 700m from the corner"....that's damn near 2300 ft !!

I'm sure it was a typo, thus my 'lighthearted' response !!!

Haha - sorry! :oops:  :oops:

Regards,

Andy