Going back...

ecruz

Going back...
« on: 14 Jan 2009, 09:33 pm »
I recently "upgraded" to 10.5 and hate it.  My machine is a Mini DuoCore 2.0 Ghz.  Once I upgraded the machine, it became really, really slow.  And there are two programs that won't work?  Photshop and Nikonview.

My question is, can I just use the discs that came with the Mini to go back to 10.4?  My concern is loosing all of the settings, etc that are in there.

Thanks,
E-

Crimson

Re: Going back...
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2009, 09:47 pm »
Yes, you can but you will lose any preferences/settings. Curious, though: did you upgrade or do a clean install?

ecruz

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2009, 10:31 pm »
It was an upgrade.  I just put the disc in and followed the instructions.

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2009, 11:10 pm »
I installed it on a 2 GHz CoreDuo iMac, as well as two other Core2Duo machines, by selecting the option to perform a clean installation. No issues with performance. There's not really that much of a difference between the two OSs, except for the ability to run some of Apple's newer software. At this point, unfortunately, downgrading to Tiger will require a fresh install of the discs supplied with the Mini. I guess it's decision time. Before making that decision, you may want to check the websites of the companies whose software isn't running to see if they have updates for Leopard.

Ferdi

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2009, 08:45 am »
Have to say I'm a bit puzzled by your observations. In my experience on a Mac Mini Intel and an ancient 12in Powerbook (2003), I would say Leopard should provide the same performance or slightly better if you look real close.

I suspect something isn't right that changed or got changed around the time of the upgrade. One thing could be that the disk indexes are being rebuilt. That might in fact take some time. If you rely on this other software and you cannot get it to work easily, you could go back to Tiger.

Good luck.