Modwright Transporter question

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Modwright Transporter question
« on: 14 Jan 2009, 04:50 pm »
Does anybody know if the output specs (see below) are in any way changed with Dan's mods?  I am especially interested in the output levels.

Thanks,

George

Balanced Analog Outputs

* Connectors: XLR gold-plated
    * Level: 3Vrms (8.5Vpp)
    * Impedance: 100 Ohms
    * Attenuation: Fixed -0dB

Unbalanced Analog Outputs

* Connectors: RCA gold-plated
    * Level: 2Vrms (5.7Vpp)
    * Impedance 100 Ohm (at -0dB)
    * Attenuation: Selectable -0, -10, -20, -30dB

IronLion

Re: Modwright Transporter question
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2009, 04:50 pm »
I've actually been curious about this myself...

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2009, 05:49 pm »
Good question.  I ping'd Dan via email (I had other questions for him so i included a link) and asked that he or John respond.  I also feel that the hyperdrive mod increased output or gain or something.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2009, 05:56 pm »
Good question.  I ping'd Dan via email (I had other questions for him so i included a link) and asked that he or John respond.  I also feel that the hyperdrive mod increased output or gain or something.

Thanks Ted.

Do you think your perception of the increased output or gain might be the result of a lower noise floor and/or increased detail?  I know that when I am able to lower the noise floor, the music sounds louder.  Just a thought...

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2009, 06:03 pm »
George,
Yes, likely both.  The hyperdrive mod feels like the power supply went from a wallwart to a huge 2 box PS; more weight, more dynamics, lower noise floor.  It drove the 6H30 DR's out of the TP cuz they were too much of a good thing.  I'm wondering if gain truly increased, or just perceived.

modwright

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2009, 06:18 pm »
Hi guys, i will have to measure our actual output Vpk-pk and Vrms.  The mod should in no way have changed the gain.  The gain is set by the tube mu and the circuit topology is such that the gain should be fixed.  I believe that you ARE hearing the improvements of the PS that gives the perception of greater gain.  I will do definitely measurements however, to confirm.

Thanks guys!

Dan

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2009, 06:29 pm »
Hi guys, i will have to measure our actual output Vpk-pk and Vrms.  The mod should in no way have changed the gain.  The gain is set by the tube mu and the circuit topology is such that the gain should be fixed.  I believe that you ARE hearing the improvements of the PS that gives the perception of greater gain.  I will do definitely measurements however, to confirm.

Thanks guys!

Dan

Thank you Dan.

BTW, I still want to have my TP upgraded with the Hyperdrive mod.  I have just been enjoying and using it too much to send it out to you.  Hopefully in the next few weeks if the scheduling looks good on your end.

George

rydenfan

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2009, 07:01 pm »
George, try and part with it for a bit. The end result will be worth missing it  :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2009, 08:42 pm »

Thanks guys!

Dan

Dan,

Any chance you have time to take those measurements?

Thanks,

George

modwright

« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2009, 05:20 pm »
Sorry, I have simply been buried as we are working HARD to fill our amplifier backorders.  I will try to get to it this week.  I have increased my staff by two techs and a full time assistant now, but I am still buried.  It won't take long to take the measurements and I will try to do so today or tomorrow at the latest.

Thanks for your patience.

Dan

modwright

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2009, 05:27 pm »
Duplicate post, sorry.

Dan

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2009, 05:46 pm »
Sorry, I have simply been buried as we are working HARD to fill our amplifier backorders.  I will try to get to it this week.  I have increased my staff by two techs and a full time assistant now, but I am still buried.  It won't take long to take the measurements and I will try to do so today or tomorrow at the latest.

Thanks for your patience.

Dan

Thanks Dan.

Given the general economy, I am glad to hear that you are swamped.

George

modwright

« Reply #12 on: 9 Feb 2009, 10:02 pm »
Thanks, I appreciate that!

Dan

rydenfan

« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2009, 03:18 am »
Dan, any chance to get those measurements?