PMC OB1i

Gmach1

PMC OB1i
« on: 12 Jan 2009, 10:23 pm »
Hello
I am new to this forum. I am in the process of developing my basement and putting a listening room/ HT room.
For the 2 Channel I will be using Bryston 4BSST and BP26. So far I have listened to Monitor Audio (Gold series) and B&W 803's. Out of those two I prefer the MA's.
I want to listen to the PMC OB1i's. I have couple of questions,
a) Has any one used them in the 2 Ch/ HT set up. If so how do you like it?
b) The dealer is quoting me CAD$ 6999 for the pair. What is reasonable price for them?

Thanks

Levi

Re: PMC OB1i
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2009, 05:10 am »
I just bought an OB1 and loved its' sonic qualities.  OB1 is better sounding than the MA and 803.  Definitely worth the audition. 

In 2ch OB1 are awesome.  HT duties are excellent, they are highly resolving, transparent and has fast accurate bass that will go down to 28Hz!  If you have a matching center channel and Bryston proc, OB1 brings you into the mix of all the movie action. 

OB1 are not cheap so you know.  Price of admission is high, however you will be happy with them price paid has long forgotten.

predrag

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2009, 12:54 pm »
Hello Gmach1 and welcome aboard!
I had OB1´s. They are lovely and highly revealing spekers.
Together with 26B and 4B SST they are natural partners without questions about synergy or such...
They are expensive but honest!
OB1´s are great start in PMC´s unless you get caught up by upgrading fever!
Try also listening to IB1. A bit more of everything!

Gmach1

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2009, 03:13 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
I hear that PMC's are power hungry speakers. In the HT setup I am not planning to use the Bryston, instead I am thinking of using Rotel or NAD will that be an issue?

Stephan1310

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2009, 03:44 pm »
Hi Gmach,
I agree with previous posts that OB1i is the natural partner for Bryston. I have BP26/4BSST since a month with PMC OB1i and the Bryston combi won over other brands because of the best possible match with the speaker. PMC's OB1i is not a cheap speaker, but very revealing and clear, with good bass performance thanks to the transmission line. My feeling is that if you combine it with NAD/Rotel electronics you will not reach the full potential of the speaker. But despite all recommendations: audition both combinations yourself and you will be convinced - 100% sure

regards

Stephan1310

predrag

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2009, 05:20 pm »
OB1´s are in a different league.
PMC´s like a lot of clear electric current.
Simplified, amps must have large transformers and capacitors.
Therefore I agree with what Stephane has stated hereabove.

jethro

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2009, 02:47 am »
Gmach1:

In my opinion, I think Rotel would be a better choice than NAD.
I've heard lots of Rotel equipment with other speakers and I briefly
owned a NAD receiver.  I found the NAD to have missing on the top and
bottom end and I had to sell the receiver. I've always thought that Rotel
is pretty good gear. Naturally, Bryston would also probably be a step up in quality and
price. Since it's your ears, I would recommend trying a couple of receivers at least.

--Steve

Levi

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2009, 04:08 am »
I agree with the rest.  OB1 is a very good speakers and deserves to have the finest components to show it's true potential. 

I tried running my OB1 with a pair of vintage McIntosh MC60 monoblock and the results are very nice.  The OB1's neutral character allows it to show sonic difference(s) in amps, sources and probably cables.  :thumb:

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2009, 12:49 am »
Thanks for the replies.
I hear that PMC's are power hungry speakers. In the HT setup I am not planning to use the Bryston, instead I am thinking of using Rotel or NAD will that be an issue?

The OB1i's are not entirely "power hungry" per se...  They can indeed handle some very serious wattage which we lover to push to the limit  - cough(DB1's with 14B's!!! :drool:) cough - The OB1 is where we truly begin the differentiation between ourselves and others...  I would highly recommend the Bryston over NAD & Rotel.  You will tire easily with the NAD & Rotel, just get it over with go with the Bryston already (20 years anyone?).  I can't stress enough the neutrality that our ATL brings, making the components you use all that more beneficial or detrimental, depending on which way you go.  NAD & Rotel will work, just like water can boil, but to realize the full potential the OB1i young padwan, you must seek the Bryston Force..

Gmach1

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2009, 01:06 am »
I think you answered my question.
Let me be clear. I am going to Use the Bryston for the 2 Ch listening.
For the HT I was going to use the NAD or Rotel. Primary reason for using NAD/Rotel is HDMI switching. Also upto some extent the Cost. I don't want to spend a lot of money right now.

What I have gathered from all the post here is that NAD/Rotel will not be a good match for PMC in the HT setup. If that is the case there is no point in taking the PMC route right now. Not only that, in Calgary there is no place to listen to PMC and the only place is in Edmonton and the dealer doesn't have a demo :) So all in all I think I am going to go with MA.

Once again thanks guys for all the feed back.

Sasha

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2009, 03:58 am »
Based on my experience I do not consider PMC speakers hard to drive (I was playing with models up to and including MB2).
Despite relatively low nominal impedance and relatively low efficiency PMC speakers do not have big impedance and phase swings (in fact I would say they are as flat as passive speakers come), what is far more important.
PMC speakers are easier to drive than some that are advertised as tube friendly (Wilson Audio Sophia being an example, larger ones are easier).
This however does not mean that PMC does not benefit from lots of clean power, all speakers do.

Gmach1

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2009, 01:07 am »
Thanks for every ones feed back.
After the so called PMC rep wasted my time, I decided to go with Monitor Audio GS60's.
I listened to to GS60's with Bryston 4BSST, BP26 and BCD-1. It sounded pretty awesome. So I put downpayment on a Pair of GS60 , GSLCR and a pair of Inwall speakers for the rears. They should be here in about 2weeks time.
I am happy :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2009, 01:30 am »
After the so called PMC rep wasted my time, I decided to go with Monitor Audio GS60's.
I listened to to GS60's with Bryston 4BSST, BP26 and BCD-1. It sounded pretty awesome. So I put downpayment on a Pair of GS60 , GSLCR and a pair of Inwall speakers for the rears. They should be here in about 2weeks time.

Hi Gmach,

If you don't mind me asking where did you listen to the Bryston with the GS-60's?

james

Gmach1

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2009, 03:53 pm »

Hi Gmach,

If you don't mind me asking where did you listen to the Bryston with the GS-60's?

james

Hi James,
I listened to Bryston with GS60 at Absolute Audio here in Calgary. However I am purchasing the Speakers from Loyalty sound. At Loyalty they have the GS60 hooked upto Sim.
I bought the Bryston from Dave @ Loyalty. I was going to give the business to Absolute audio but some some reason which i don't want to post on the forum(If you want to know the reason PM me) decided to deal with loyalty.

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #14 on: 18 Jan 2009, 04:24 pm »

Hi Gmach,

james

Hi James,
I listened to Bryston with GS60 at Absolute Audio here in Calgary. However I am purchasing the Speakers from Loyalty sound. At Loyalty they have the GS60 hooked upto Sim.
I bought the Bryston from Dave @ Loyalty. I was going to give the business to Absolute audio but some some reason which i don't want to post on the forum(If you want to know the reason PM me) decided to deal with loyalty.

Thanks

Hi Gmach,

Yes please send me an email to jamestanner@bryston.com and give me the details.

The problem is that Loyaly is not a Bryston dealer.

james

« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2009, 07:52 pm by James Tanner »

Gmach1

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jan 2009, 07:43 pm »
James
You have a email.

Thx
G

James Tanner

• Facilitator