FLAC library going to AIFF

anthony a.

FLAC library going to AIFF
« on: 12 Jan 2009, 08:38 pm »
i have about 200 gigs of music all ripped with eac to flac format and each folder containing cover.jpg for album cover art.  this worked perfectly for my slim devices squeezebox 3.  now that i am moving strictly to itunes, i would like to convert all my flac folders into aiff.  i have dbpoweramp and find it easy to use in terms of converting and keeping all tags, but the problem is that i can't get the album artwork to automatically become a tag within the file itself.  the only way i have been able to add this is manually (and individually), going into itunes info for each song and copy and pasting the album image.  this is very time consuming so i was wondering if there is a way (or other program) that will convert my flac library with tags and album artwork directly into aiff.  also, when using dbpoweramp i am only able to convert files individually and not retain the actual folders (which are the album name).  any solution to this?  thanks.

avta

Re: FLAC library going to AIFF
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2009, 10:14 pm »
You might try Fluke ( http://cubicfruit.com/fluke/ ) which allows you to play flac files in iTunes. I'm not sure about the art work.

Guy

anthony a.

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2009, 04:51 am »
thanks for the response, i have looked at fluke before but never tried it since i don't own a mac yet.  i would, however prefer to change the format to aiff so i can use the same files on other macs around the house (that i plan on getting).  any other options?

bricktop

• performus measurementus
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2009, 05:16 am »
don't get a mac  :green:

Brad

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2009, 05:04 pm »
Within dbpoweramp, you should be able to copy or retain the directory structure.
I have used it to make a copy of my library in a compressed format for syncing to the kids' ipods

anthony a.

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2009, 04:45 pm »

:lol:, you're right.  having just bought a mac mini (and returning it), im actually just gonna stick with a small form pc since.  it turns out that, although i can use a mac pretty well (my wife has one so i play with it all the time), for what i need in my hifi setup a small pc just makes more sense.  so no, i can't use fluke and i need to convert to aiff.  i tried again do separate and batch converts through imdb, but still not luck in keeping all the folders.  it just spits out the converted songs into the main folder.  any hints.... im totally stuck here.

Crimson

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2009, 05:04 pm »

:lol:, you're right.  having just bought a mac mini (and returning it), im actually just gonna stick with a small form pc since.  it turns out that, although i can use a mac pretty well (my wife has one so i play with it all the time), for what i need in my hifi setup a small pc just makes more sense.  so no, i can't use fluke and i need to convert to aiff.  i tried again do separate and batch converts through imdb, but still not luck in keeping all the folders.  it just spits out the converted songs into the main folder.  any hints.... im totally stuck here.

Try Max on a mac.

Brad

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2009, 06:01 pm »
After you select what you want to convert, in the converting dialog box, select "dynamic" under "output location"

I have mine set to    [artist]\[album]\[track] [title]

anthony a.

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2009, 04:16 am »
After you select what you want to convert, in the converting dialog box, select "dynamic" under "output location"

I have mine set to    [artist]\[album]\[track] [title]

okay, thats really weird.  mine is greyed out and i can't select it.  its the newest release too.  i am baffled right now!

anthony a.

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2009, 06:58 am »
okay, more research shows i need the reference version to get this feature (which must be purchased).  thanks for the help, will get it and try it out.

anthony a.

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2009, 06:20 pm »
okay, so i upgraded dbpoweramp and i am now able to do all the conversions automatically.  that, plus the full version is so much faster, encoding time is down by 80% which is a huge bonus.  my only other problem remaining is that i can only add the album cover art tag to each file individually.  i cannot add the tag to the entire folder (for each album), and this is crazy long.  any ideas as to doing an entire folder at once?  thanks.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2009, 07:06 pm »
In Mp3tag (a great and easy tagging/album cover utility) you highlight the whole folder (ie highlight all the songs), then do the album cover insert. 

anthony a.

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2009, 05:49 am »
In Mp3tag (a great and easy tagging/album cover utility) you highlight the whole folder (ie highlight all the songs), then do the album cover insert. 

hmmm, does this currently work on your system?  i am unable to import aiff files.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2009, 03:16 pm »
I use FLAC and others, but not AIFF.  Sorry, I was simply saying that it was how most tagging software works, like MP3tag.  Since you're using iTunes why not just let iTunes find the album art (in batch mode...i.e once everything is in your library have iTunes "get album art").  Or another idea might be to attach the album art to each FLAC file metadata (rather than cover.jpg) via MP3TAG (highlighting whole sets of files, as I stated) or something, then the AIFF convert ought to bring the cover art metadata with it.

anthony a.

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2009, 05:49 pm »
yeah, thats a good idea.  although if i start to re-tag all the flac files, i might as well just do it for the aiff through itunes.  seems this may be the only viable solution at the moment, so i may just end up doing it this way (slowly-take one day at a time :cry:).  but, i was just wondering something about itunes tagging.  once i tag a song/album through itunes, does it tag it automatically such as an id3 tag, so if i ever delete itunes and put my music on another computer, the tags all remain exactly as how they were tagged using itunes?

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:34 am »
Anthony,

Not to change the subject too much but I am curious why you are looking to switch to I-Tunes/AIFF?  Is it simply for the interface of I-Tunes or what?

Thanks,

James

anthony a.

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jan 2009, 10:23 pm »
yeah, im moving my system into my new basement office and i originally had them all ripped and tagged with flac as i had a logitech sb3.  now, im looking to have my system running with itunes all the time and have it displayed on my secondary screen, so no need for the sb3.  also, i like the itunes interface very much and have grow very accustomed to it.  so ultimately, im looking to go to aiff from flac, since apple doesn't seem to want to support flac playback in itunes.  i realize there is a program called fluke for mac that allows flac playback, but no such thing for pc (that im aware of).