Questions about the A/V-1RS

Jon Liu

Re: Questions about the A/V-1RS
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jan 2009, 06:44 pm »
I definitely will post pictures and impressions when I get everything set up.  I will get the parts in about a week and the cabinets will be done in a week or two.  So definitely in about 2-3 weeks I will have initial impressions!

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jan 2009, 08:13 pm »
Networks complete and ready to ship.

They are on a 2" wide board that should fit in the bottom of the box.

The networks are also mirror imaged just like the speakers.

Jon Liu

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jan 2009, 09:04 pm »
Very cool, Danny! Thanks for the update!  I am looking forward to receiving them!

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jan 2009, 09:09 pm »
Going out today....

chip

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jan 2009, 10:14 pm »
Well those look great Danny....one part down now the boxes..

fcraven

• Don't mess with this baritone
« Reply #25 on: 21 Jan 2009, 11:34 pm »
I find photos of crossovers to be very helpful. We need more of these.
'course, I'm not building anything at the moment...

Jon Liu

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jan 2009, 03:01 am »
Danny,

Received the kit today!  Thanks so much!

I haven't torn the box open yet, partly because my cabinets have yet to arrive, but partly I am just waiting until my daughter goes to sleep so I can take a look without her putting her hands all over them!

dvenardos

« Reply #27 on: 30 Jan 2009, 03:21 am »
Are you supposed to use noRez in these cabinets?

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 30 Jan 2009, 03:44 am »
Are you supposed to use noRez in these cabinets?

A small piece of it on the front panel is all that is needed.

dvenardos

« Reply #29 on: 5 Feb 2009, 05:52 pm »
My cabinets are in route for these and Danny is working on my network (if I stop asking him stupid questions :nono:) - can't wait.  :D

dvenardos

« Reply #30 on: 21 Feb 2009, 07:14 pm »

They are on a 2" wide board that should fit in the bottom of the box.

I am working on my networks (first time). The kit includes silver wire (about 20-22 guage) but in this picture it looks like Danny used all red/white hookup wire and none of the smaller gauge silver wire. Where should I use the silver wire or should I? Also, when making the network connections should they be twisted, soldered, and heat shrink applied or just twisted and heat shrink?

Thanks,
Don

Danny Richie

« Reply #31 on: 21 Feb 2009, 07:18 pm »
The kit includes silver wire (about 20-22 guage)

That "Silver wire" is the solder that you'll need to put it all together with.

Also, when making the network connections should they be twisted, soldered, and heat shrink applied or just twisted and heat shrink?

All connections get twisted together and soldered. Heat shrink is used everywhere you use the high purity OFC wire. It helps to seal it so that it don't oxidize in the years to come.

dvenardos

« Reply #32 on: 22 Feb 2009, 12:13 am »
The kit includes silver wire (about 20-22 guage)

That "Silver wire" is the solder that you'll need to put it all together with.

Okay, you aren't kidding when you say the kit includes everything you need. Guess I would have found that out really quick.  :duh:

Jon Liu

« Reply #33 on: 9 Mar 2009, 09:49 pm »
Just wanted to post here again with very quick initial thoughts.  The cabinets got delayed a couple of times once because the finish was all wrong and the guys had to sand the finish down again and start over on the finish.  So I finally got them and put them together.  I got my cabinets last week and I built the speakers over the weekend.  I've been without main speakers for a long while now (still waiting on my LS-9's) and so my first pair went up front so I was able to finally step up from 1.1 to 3.1 sound.  The next day I finished the 2nd pair of A/V-1RS and was able to finally get surround sound again after a couple months of not having surround sound.

I have to say, these are some really impressive speakers!  They are big sounding and I can say that these are a step up from the Rocket RSS300's.  Since I will be moving in a month from now, I have them in really non-ideal positioning currently because I just didn't want to go through the effort of putting them up for a couple weeks only to take them down again.  Even with that, they sound great!  The sound is non-localizable and even with the speakers at different heights they sound just like a wall of sound as opposed to being sound coming from up high or from down low.

They are truly amazing little speakers.

Danny, thank you so much! :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 10 Mar 2009, 04:01 am »
You are very welcome.

chip

« Reply #35 on: 10 Mar 2009, 05:20 pm »
Just wanted to post here again with very quick initial thoughts.  The cabinets got delayed a couple of times once because the finish was all wrong and the guys had to sand the finish down again and start over on the finish.  So I finally got them and put them together.  I got my cabinets last week and I built the speakers over the weekend.  I've been without main speakers for a long while now (still waiting on my LS-9's) and so my first pair went up front so I was able to finally step up from 1.1 to 3.1 sound.  The next day I finished the 2nd pair of A/V-1RS and was able to finally get surround sound again after a couple months of not having surround sound.

I have to say, these are some really impressive speakers!  They are big sounding and I can say that these are a step up from the Rocket RSS300's.  Since I will be moving in a month from now, I have them in really non-ideal positioning currently because I just didn't want to go through the effort of putting them up for a couple weeks only to take them down again.  Even with that, they sound great!  The sound is non-localizable and even with the speakers at different heights they sound just like a wall of sound as opposed to being sound coming from up high or from down low.

They are truly amazing little speakers.

Danny, thank you so much! :)

Where are some pics? Glad you finally have them done.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #36 on: 10 Mar 2009, 08:03 pm »
Sorry, but I didn't see what you were using for your mains? -Are you saying you are using the a/v-1RS for front mains (and surrounds)?

Jon Liu

« Reply #37 on: 11 Mar 2009, 03:52 pm »
I'll try to get pics soon for you guys.  Not too much to see, though.

Traderx, yes I am using one pair of A/V-1RS for mains right now.  Temporarily.  I am waiting for my LS-9's to show up.  I got rid of my Rocket 850's as mains in the beginning of January in hopes that the LS-9's would've be done already.

The other pair is used as surrounds and the other pair will be used as surround back when I finally get the LS-9's.

dvenardos

« Reply #38 on: 11 Mar 2009, 04:56 pm »
I am veneering my boxes, got the side panels done and it looks pretty good so far.
What is the best way to cut the holes in the veneer for the baffle?
I was thinking that cutting the holes after gluing the veneer on might be the best way to go...

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #39 on: 12 Mar 2009, 02:31 am »
Removed by member.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 03:59 pm by EARGASM »