Help with adjusment on a JVC QL-F4

sfox50

Help with adjusment on a JVC QL-F4
« on: 11 Jan 2009, 02:57 pm »
 I've bought  a QL-F4 recently, & though the sound quality is very good for a low cost table, I need to figure out how to adjust the arm return function. It seems to start returning before the stylus has lifted from the lead out groove. This is no doubt hard on my stylus! There's no manual available at VE, so I was hoping someone here might know what to look for.

TheChairGuy

Re: Help with adjusment on a JVC QL-F4
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2009, 03:11 pm »
The QL-A2 was made the same time as your F4....but I see that it does not have an English manual either at VE.

Try the QL-F6: http://www.vinylengine.com/library/jvc/ql-f6.shtml

It was made only a year later (1979).  The arm is different (internally oil damped), but there's pretty high probability that the arm controls for lift, etc are the same.  The manual should help.

I owned the A2 and now own the F6.....and the F6 stands tall among much pricier decks I own.  Once you get your arm returns sorted out, learn to love plasticlay (modeling clay).  The old plastic JVC plinths respond to them quite positively  :)

And, if your arm is like my A2, one of the arm bearings is completely exposed underneath (when you remove the lid).  Clean out the groove that it sits in and give it a squirt of something very slick (my fave is TUFOIL oil additive as it is both thick, for good damping properties, and very, very slick for reduced friction).

Better tracking that you can absolutely hear is the result :thumb:

John

sfox50

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2009, 04:49 pm »
Thanks , John-I was hoping you'd respond to the question. Unfortunately, the adjustment on the F6 is different than my F4- it was a good suggestion, though. I have a Technics SL-Q2 that I have done the plasti-clay mod to with good results, so I'll be trying the same on the JVC. I'll look for the tonearm bearing while I'm in there. I swapped the headshell with my OM body & Digitrac 200NE stylus, adjusted for the 48 mm length. I really am pleasantly surprised by how nice it sounds!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2009, 05:18 pm »
Is it perhaps just the arm lift height at fault here on your deck?

It may be that your record is slightly lower in the middle (nearest to the spindle) than the outside and your arm height lifter is not lifting it sufficiently high for your stylus to clear the record.

The arm lift height adjustment is a very simple affair...it's the semi-circle (black, usually) part located just outside the arm pillar (towards the inside of the arm).

On/in it, you will see a screw (phillips I think).  Simply loosen it a bit from the current position to allow for the internal riser to lift the arm slightly higher than it is currently.

The end of record cueing mechanism might be off, too....it's a simple screw device located near the tonearm, generally countersunk into the table itself and pretty easy to find and adjust.  Sometimes, it can be found under the platter, too.  I've been fortunate, all 3 JVC's I owned (all semi or fully auto's) have been adjusted correctly for end of record lifting without issue.

This riser might well use (silicone) fluid, too, and may be in need of more of it.  Typically, it's about 200,000cst weight.  I get my silicone from www.turntablebasics.com

If you live in or near Beverly Hills, you may be able to get it from plastic surgeons there :icon_lol:

John

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2009, 06:33 pm »
There is a micro-switch that some linkage connected to your tonearm activates. You will have to remove the base to get at it. Usually the switch is permanently mounted and an adjustable piece attached to the tonearm will depress the switch actuator. That piece needs to be adjusted. You need to have the switch get depressed with a little further reach (towards the label with your tone arm). Sorry, I don't have a photo either.

Wayner  :D

sfox50

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2009, 07:13 pm »
Thanks again for the help, John & Wayner! The trouble was something I had overlooked, though I had thought it strange when I first saw it. I got this table on Thursday, from a guy who didn't know about vinyl at all.  The JVC had been his fathers, then kept by his mother for lots of years. Anyway- someone had reversed the tonearm cuing lift so that it was bearing on the tonearm rather than the little arm it was supposed to engage! Once I removed it & got it re-installed correctly, all is OK now! I did use about 3 pound of plasti-clay around the upper plinth, and I looked for access to the tonearm bearing, but it's covered up by all of the "full auto" mechanisms. I did spot the micro-switch that Wayner mentioned. I guess I could load up the plastic base with clay, but I may just try the spray damping stuff on it as well as the platter. I'm thinking that the "Quest" OM cart just likes the JVC arm better than my old SL-Q2. Another thing- I noticed that the tonearm has a three point screw mount to the plinth- I suppose I could use shims to play with VTA a little. Maybe I should stop tinkering & just enjoy it for now!  Scott F.

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2009, 07:24 pm »
I had to adjust my Technics SL-Q2 when I got it. If you play with the arm, you'll descover how all of the linkages work and you will see the switch actuator get depressed. I think you could do it. If you set it too far, the arm will just go round and round on the end groove just like any other manual table. I got mine the first time.

Good luck, and yes shove lots of plasticlay inside. I think John owns stock in PLasticlay.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wayner