Vintage integrated/receiver vs. gainclone

nodiak

Vintage integrated/receiver vs. gainclone
« on: 9 Jan 2009, 10:30 pm »
Well, I'm home sick and was thinking it would be nice to have a vintage unit that sounded about as good as my LM3875 gainclone. I miss the silver faced receivers and integrateds I grew up with and would like to have a decent one around. Now, hopefully we can skip the scolding that there are several different gc's and vintage units and I can start a chatty conversation with this question:

Anyone ever compared a gainclone to a Yamaha or Sansui integrated/receiver? Or any other vintage brand?

It would be cool if someone did an A/B comparison like this and could give a brief report.
I had a small Yamaha CR 420 once and thought it was nice. Somewhat lightweight but clean. I don't know Sansui voice but reports sound good to me. Pioneer sx's were too blistering for my senses, and I'm not cool enough for marantz.
I could only go $150-300 max ,so you know what level I'm considering. I can get gc's for $100 that sound decent, but no source selection, etc. Have found Yamaha CR820 and Sansui AU7900 in "serviced" condition with 30 day guarantees from a real store (I hate ebay roulette).
I find gainclones to be great amps to have around when #1 amp isn't available.
Thought it worth asking if any gc likers were also vintage fans and might like to gab about it. Not looking for king of the hill battles, but more "yah, the Yamasui Au 820 sounded a lot like a 3886 gc." Or any noteable differences and similarities.
Sorry no beer to offer :(.
Take care, Don

orthobiz

Re: Vintage integrated/receiver vs. gainclone
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2009, 03:12 am »
I am soooo out of it. Gainclone amp???
Just got a vintage 40wpc Kenwood amp for my daughter. Nice silver face like you mention.
BIG volume knob!!!

Are these gainclone amps commercially available complete or is everyone DIY?

Please direct me to a thread or two, I do not wish to remain ignorant!

Thanks,

Paul

nodiak

Re: Vintage integrated/receiver vs. gainclone
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2009, 04:08 am »
Dude...seriously  :roll:  :green:
Diy for $100 or less...or more if you go bling on parts.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=40

Also google "audiosector", and "chipamp". That will get you started.

You've likely heard of them in one form or another.
I think the vintage ss vs gc could be a good thing to check out as some pieces might have similar sq, but it's understandably one of "those" issues.
Don