VR4 SR MkII listening update..

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
VR4 SR MkII listening update..
« on: 9 Jan 2009, 03:24 pm »
Hey everyone,

I must have close to 500 hrs. on my speakers by now so thought you may like to hear what I've been hearing lately.  I've been "rediscovering" my cd collection, maybe 1300 or so strong, over the past few months and it's been fun, and enlightening.  Many sound like they've been remastered but I must say that some sound pretty bad.  One thing I've done just recently is go back and play some of the reference recordings that I played when I first got my VR4s but haven't played recently.  Those recordings sound so much better today it's uncanny.  For example, one that I loaded often when the speakers were new was Diana Krall "Live in Paris", specifically the cut "A Case of You".  She plays that entire song with the soft pedal and no accompaniment.  Last night I heard some extraneous sounds that I didn't remember hearing before then I realized that it was her foot depressing the pedal ever so often.  I'm not the kind of anal listener that sits in the sweetspot and strains to hear little subtleties like this....I tend to just get into the music...but this was so obvious I had to share it.  Point being that these speakers do require a long break in period but once you are there, trust me, you are there.

Happy Listening.

McTwins

Re: VR4 SR MkII listening update..
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2009, 06:45 pm »
I know exactly what you are talking about :thumb:, but you don't have to listening in the sweet spot to hear it. When it is there, it is there :D
Thanks

htradtk

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2009, 11:48 pm »
Hi Gavin,

Good to read your report on your listening sessions. Yes, the Vons do take there good old time to break in. I'm having the same reactions as you with my VR-5 Annies. It's ashame we don't live closer, I would love to hear your system with those McIntosh MC501's, I'm sure your soundstage is stunning! I also like that Steely Dan "Aja" poster you have in your listening room, that CD also sounds great with the Vons. Hopefully with the holidays over, I can get some pictures taken of my system and send them out.

Take care,
Henry (htradtk)

DRjam

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2009, 03:42 pm »
Hi Gavin,

Great thing about the VR4 is that it is mesmerizing!  I continue to be impressed after having mine for close to 2 years.  I have similar set-up as you BTW and the magic just continues. :drool:  Enjoy this till the next upgraditis hits and your thinking how much better would it be if..... I love this hobby.  I love my vons.

es347

• Facilitator
a special listening session last night..
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2009, 03:33 pm »
Last night a good friend came over for an extended listening session.  Brian has a degree in acoustics engineering and has heard just about everything out there, having been in this hobby since the mid 70's.  I value his opinion.  He had never seen nor heard a VSA speaker and his first reaction was to the visual...very impressed with the look and workmanship.  He said that he had recently heard the watt puppies with BAT electronics and was impressed with the sound.  We had dinner and a drink then sat down for a listen.  I got all the obligatory demo stuff out of the way...soundstage, deep bass, midbass slam, imaging, etc....then we settled in to actually listen to music.  We listened primarily to redbook with the exception of a Nickel Creek SACD.  I was playing a Martin Taylor cd: "Kiss and Tell", specifically the Mona Lisa track, when he turned to me and said "holy cow, I completely forgot that I was sitting in front of a stereo system...I was totally immersed in that song...that's never happened to me before".  Now put that comment in context; Brian has an impeccable ear and like I said earlier, has listened to many very high end systems.  That is not faint praise.  He went on to say that he preferred the VR4 SR MkIIs to the wilsons.  I'm honestly not sure that I could significantly improve my sound by spending any amount of money and must say that there is a pretty special synergy between the VRs and the McIntosh electronics.  Special indeed.  I hope all you guys are enjoying your systems as much as I am enjoying mine.

Gavin

htradtk

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2009, 11:37 pm »
Hi Gavin,

Yes, I totally agree with you when a Mac amp is married with a VS speaker, the sound is warm and dynamic with a huge soundstage. I too have that Nickel Creek SACD, it sounds like they are right there in your room. My anniversary's are really opening up, this past weekend, I played my Telarc 1812 overture SACD for the first time and those cannons shook my room. Sounded like they were being set off right in front of me, and best yet, listening to it at a rather high volume, the Mac showed no signs of strain. By the way, if you look to the left of my E-mail you can see a picture of my system, I have more pictures but having difficulty posting them in the gallery, and help would be great.

Take care,
Henry

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2009, 06:13 pm »
Henry,

Here is a cut and paste from an old post regarding the how-to on adding pix to a post:

There is a lot more activity on AC these days, and folks have increasingly asked how to post pictures.  We have a sticky post here in Town Square that explains how to, but not everyone knows it there.

So, for those interested, here are the steps (it's not hard once you do it - I am living proof of this):

1.  Upload your pics to your Gallery (create one, it's free, if you don't have one already here at AudioCircle)

2.  Go to that picture (in your AC Gallery) and (left) click on it.  It will open up as a larger picture.

3.  Right click that picture

4.  Go to 'Properties' and open it with a left click

5.  You will see either a .jpg or .gif address.....highlight it (by dragging your left clicker over the address) and then right click and choose 'Copy'

6.  Take that and 'Paste' in between the Insert Image icon (the second from the left on the bottom row of buttons available to you)

Viola! - you will have a picture, which as we all know is worth a thousands words, to go along with your ad or post.

htradtk

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2009, 10:51 pm »
Thanks to Gavin's instructions, here are some pics of my system, thanks again Gavin!

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2009, 12:50 am »
Thanks to Gavin's instructions, here are some pics of my system, thanks again Gavin!

Henry,

I couldn't see them here but did see the 4 pix in your gallery.  Those are some great looking speakers and did I not see an MAC amplifier glowing behind the glass of your equipment cabinet?  Could you list all your components?  I see you own the world's BEST center channel speaker.....just like mine  :thumb:   :lol:

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2009, 12:57 am »
Here you go nice loking system  :thumb: bet you it sounds good too  aa

htradtk

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2009, 01:03 am »
Gavin,

Opps! I tried to post them in the "reply" but didn't seem to come out. However, if you look in the "GALLERY" look up my user name "htradtk" and you can see them there, their are four pictures. Enjoy.

Take care,
Henry

htradtk

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2009, 01:16 am »
Thanks "ecramer"!

Yes, they sound great, I've had them since November and probably have around 400 hours in them now. They are the best purchase I have ever made, a far cry from my first speaker the Polk Audio RTA-12.

Henry

htradtk

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2009, 06:19 pm »
As per Gavin's request,

A list of my componets:

McIntosh MC352 Power Amplifier
Integra DTR 8.8 Receiver (Used as a Preamplifier, and surround amplifier)
Richard Gray power conditioner
Direct TV DVR Receiver
Genesis MX-900 Universal remote control system
Sony SCD-XA9000ESD SACD Player
Pioneer Elite BDP-95FD Blu-ray disc player
Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro-150FD 60" Plasma TV
Denon DVD-5910CI DVD Player
Polk Audio RT3000P Surround speakers
(2) Martin Logan Cinema Center channel speakers (one used for my center back channel)
and of course Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary Edition Loudspeakers

I use Analysis Plus Oval 9's speaker cable for the Vons and Monster Cable for everything else.

Happy listening,
Henry

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2009, 09:53 pm »
Nice job Henry.  I've got an Integra DTC 9.8 that drives a 5CH B&K amp in my HT...great unit.

Gavin