Gran Turino

anthony a.

Gran Turino
« on: 9 Jan 2009, 05:49 am »
great movie.  clint eastwood still knows how to act... not like most of the current hollywood cheeseballs.  his grumble is totally awesome.  check it out, very simple storyline but great movie.  don't expect it to be a hollywood action flick, its more of a story with feelings.  some of the best one-liners i have heard in a long time.  the climax scene at the end made me laugh so hard when he starts name calling.  hahahaha.  check it out.

ajzepp

Re: Gran Turino
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2009, 07:07 am »
Cannot *wait* to see this one  :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2009, 07:22 am »
Yep, definitely on my must see list and will probably be making the drive next week just for this movie.

Cheers.
Robin

martyo

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2009, 09:40 am »
Saw it on NYE with my wife and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. Witty, hilarious, poignant, 5 stars out of 5.

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2009, 11:54 am »
I did a double take when I saw him in a trailer.  Hey, that's Dirty Harry  :D ...I hope this will be a good one cause I'm gonna see it.

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2009, 12:38 pm »
I have to see it, I really like Clint movies.

Plus, when I was a kid, we had a Gran Torino wagon - not nearly as cool as the one in the movie, but related!

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2009, 04:43 am »
Wow...just saw this one. I think it's one of my all-time favorites now. I found a lot to identify with in this film. Walt Kowalski was a hardened version of my grandfather, and much of this film was very nostalgic for me.

Thumbs WAY up from me on this one.

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2009, 01:50 am »
WAY good. My wife and I saw it yesterday . . . it is highly recommended. Great story, great characters, great job!  Funny AND thoughtful . . .

Mariusz

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2009, 02:27 am »
The story that only Clint Eastwood could pull it of.
And No, it is not a "Dirty Hurry" but one of many stories that surrounds us in everyday life.
Not appreciated by his sons (which he barely knows anyway) and misunderstood by the rest of the rapidly changing World.
He is slowly burning out and leads himself to self destruction.
Finding the meaning of life comes from the strangest of places as you will find out by watching this movie.
As a war hero he takes the last stand in the name of the righteousness and redemption with the perfect, unexpected ending.
Overall, very good movie.........as you would expect from this great director and actor.

Score - **** (4 out of 5 stars)

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2009, 05:01 pm »
Great movie. Just when you thought Eastwood couldn't scowl any worse, he does it. Very funny moments.

nathanm

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jan 2009, 07:39 pm »
In my work for a bloodthirsty cult I depend on my Grand Turino.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #11 on: 26 Jan 2009, 09:17 pm »
Guys if you don't mind, I would like to solicit your prayers for Gary Roach.
 He is part of Clint's film editing team and he underwent brain surgery Friday for a tumor. It is a very serious situation and he was not expected to live but the surgery has had some positive results and the doctors are cautiously encouraged.
He is Joel Cox's son in law.
Please take a moment and uplift him.
Thank you so much.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jan 2009, 01:48 am »
5 out of 5 stars! :thumb:

By far the best movie I've seen in a long long time and definitely a Clint Eastwood masterpiece. I laughed through out this heartwarming movie and cried in the end. I can't say enough good things about this movies w/o adding spoilers so I'll just say see this movie, either in the theaters or in 3 months when it's out on DVD. This movie will win awards, I'm pretty confident with this statement. :dance:

Cheers,
Robin

mcullinan

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jan 2009, 05:22 pm »
Saw this movie last night and enjoyed it. Id say its a good movie with a great story! What throws it off a bit is the horrible acting of the priest, ugghhhhhh.. and the shy boy in the movie. These two two-handed-ly knocked the movie down from being a great timeless flick to a good one. Too bad.

Not in the same league as Slumdog... which is amazing!
Mike

CSI

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jan 2009, 07:12 pm »

Everyone has a different idea about what makes a movie "great". I have cut way back on my movie going in the last few years because what the critics flip over as great performances often strike me as hysterical overacting (almost anything with the over rated Sean Penn, for example).

My wife wanted to see Gran Torino and, as I am always an Eastwood fan, we went last weekend. I expected it to be good but knew little about the story going in (only learned later that nearly everyone in the film was a first time actor).

Anyway, at the end, I wiped away a tear and told my wife it may be the best movie I've ever seen.

Go see it.

BTW - It was almost completely stiffed for awards. Eastwood is no longer politically correct enough for the Hollywood establishment. Happily, he couldn't care less.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #15 on: 28 Jan 2009, 09:12 am »
About as perfect a movie as could ever be made. About as politically incorrect a movie as one could ever hope to enjoy, which is why the Hollywood pecker-heads are ignoring it. A quintessentially American movie. First time in a long time I didn't feel robbed leaving the theater.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 28 Jan 2009, 11:02 am »

BTW - It was almost completely stiffed for awards. Eastwood is no longer politically correct enough for the Hollywood establishment. Happily, he couldn't care less.

I was lead to believe that this movie was released to late to be included in the awards programs. :scratch: I had been expecting to see this movie recognised in next years awards. Do I have my information twisted? I certainly hope so as this movie deserves recognition if I've ever seen one.

Edit: Here's a Jan 13 article about Clint Eastwood's track record on last minute movie nominations and best picture awards that include Million Dollar Baby and Letters from Iwo Jima. This doesn't sound like Clint has been ignored to me,,,, more like a dark horse that gives all the other movies a head start. Let's hope Grand Torino becomes another last minute nomination. :D

Cheers,
Robin

Wind Chaser

« Reply #17 on: 28 Jan 2009, 12:33 pm »
Not in the same league as Slumdog... which is amazing!

Not even close.  On every level, Slumdog was a far better film than Grand Torino, however Grand Torino was much more entertaining than Benji's Butt.

hadden

« Reply #18 on: 28 Jan 2009, 03:33 pm »

Everyone has a different idea about what makes a movie "great". I have cut way back on my movie going in the last few years because what the critics flip over as great performances often strike me as hysterical overacting (almost anything with the over rated Sean Penn, for example).

My wife wanted to see Gran Torino and, as I am always an Eastwood fan, we went last weekend. I expected it to be good but knew little about the story going in (only learned later that nearly everyone in the film was a first time actor).

Anyway, at the end, I wiped away a tear and told my wife it may be the best movie I've ever seen.

Go see it.

I agree about Penn. He's terrible.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #19 on: 28 Jan 2009, 04:00 pm »
I agree about Penn. He's terrible.

He wasn't that bad in "I Am Sam".