Citadel Power Line Conditioner LC630

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Citadel Power Line Conditioner LC630
« on: 8 Jan 2009, 11:17 pm »
I found a NEW "Best Power Technologies" brand Citadel Power Line Conditioner LC630 on Ebay. VERY CHEAP.
Looks like a monster of a power conditioner. Most of the hits I found on Google show it to be heavily used in the medical industry, so it must be a pretty reliable (read: stable) unit.
The auction ends in 1 hour, 30 minutes.
Unfortunately, I don't have the paltry amount of cash, otherwise, it would be mine.  :cry: :cry:
Please don't take this a "shilling", I have no connection to the seller, but I'd love to see one of your guys end up with it.

Bob  :bawl:

Emil

Re: Citadel Power Line Conditioner LC630
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2009, 01:54 am »

You still have time for a Powervar

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?powrcond&1231816631

I recently picked one up myself. Paid $300 shipped and I'm tickled pink with it.

So much for so little.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2009, 02:06 am »
Hmm, interesting.
All those mods on a unit that retails for $1,200, and the current bid is $33.50.
Might have to keep an eye on that one. Just don't tell anyone else Emil, this will be our little secret.  :wink:

I actually regret not buying the Citadel.....I should have.  :duh:
Well, I shouldn't have, but..... I should have, if you know what I mean.
Somebody got it for $15 + shipping.  :|
I'm kicking myself right now. Arrgh.

I'm actually in the market for a little baby unit for my SqueezeBox. Nothing that'll handle several amps or that has several outlets. Just a simple, small unit, less than an amp. That's what I was looking for when I found this monster.

Bob

FredT300B

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2009, 10:25 am »
Somebody got it for $15 + shipping.  :|
I'm kicking myself right now. Arrgh.
Bob

That would be me. Thanks for the heads-up.  :D

I can use it with the new computer my wife gave me for Christmas, or I can use it with the digital components (CD player / DAC / Squeezebox) in my audio system. I couldn't find any technical iformation on it. Is it a voltage stablilzer or just a surge protector / noise filter? I recall reading somewhere that some types of industrial power conditioners are not well-suited for use in audio systems. Any opinions about whether this type is?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2009, 12:22 pm »
Congratulations Fred! You're Welcome.
Can I come over sometime and just.....just..... touch it:cry:

Um...I don't know if it would be suited for audio of not. I assumed power conditioning would have been making AC as close to 120V 60Hz as possible, and that's that end of the story.  :dunno:
I was going to buy it on "a wing and a prayer", and decided not to (I actually came back to buy it after all, but was too late  :wink: )

I would be interested in knowing if there are proper types and improper types of conditioning for audio.
But yea, it would be fine for PC use I'm sure.
Did you see all the Google references to the medical industry?
That's what impressed me the most about this unit. But I never could find any tech specs. The parent company "Best Power Technologies" has since gone out of business, but there was a couple companies that still service these units. I tried hard to find specs, details, etc.... but couldn't. Since it's new in the box I figured for the price it couldn't be beat. The worst thing that could happen is it need some new capacitors if it's been sitting around a long time.

Let us know how it turns out Fred. You'll get extra points for posting pictures of the inside.  aa

Bob

Occam

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2009, 03:43 pm »
Emil and fellow NY AudioRavers,

If anyone in the NYC area wants some big honk'n Powervars, 4Kva+, large enough to downrate and run as a balancing conditioner and still have enough power to run your whole system, stop on by with a car.  We're not talking some girlieman 4.5amp ratings here, we're talking 30amps+. They're yours for what I paid to ship them to me, $100 ea, otherwise I'll donate them to a local university and take a $3k charitable deduction. I'm obviously prejudiced, but IMO, you're better off building a bunch of diy Felix conditioners.

FWIW,
Paul

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2009, 03:46 pm »
"DIY Felix conditioners"......Looks like a good subject for a Google search.
Thanks for the tip Paul.

So, you think the Felix is better than a Powervar?

Bob

Occam

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2009, 03:56 pm »
"DIY Felix conditioners"......Looks like a good subject for a Google search.
Thanks for the tip Paul.

So, you think the Felix is better than a Powervar?

Bob

a Google search on 'DIY Felix conditioner'????? ..... you're killing me Bob  :evil:
Do the seach here on AC for 'Felix'

I think my cats are better powerconditioners for audio use than Powervars, OneACs, etc....
Yes, if your electricity is mucked up, you might well be very pleased with what one brings to your system, but a low cost <$30 diy effort will bring a far larger improvement.

FWIW,
Paul

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2009, 04:00 pm »
 :oops: I thought the name "Felix" sounded familiar.  :duh:
Sorry about that Paul.
Thirty dollars huh? Well, you can't beat that. I'll check it out.
Thank you (and sorry again).

Bob

Occam

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2009, 04:17 pm »
Bob,

Despite the warm and fuzzy dynamics of the Lab Circle, lots of folks just don't peruse it.
If you're not into diy, pick up an old PSAudio UO (UltraOutlet, which have gone through many iterations and are now the Duet, etc...) which are inexpensive on Agon. I think you'll find they are a major step up from OneACs, Powervars, etc.... If you don't like it, and have bought wisely, you could resell without much loss, if any.
There is no denying the tremendous material value that these surplus conditioners, with their massive isolation transformers, offer, but where the petal hits the metal, IMO, you're better off with an audio specific implementation.

Regards,
Paul

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2009, 04:41 pm »
Despite the warm and fuzzy dynamics of the Lab Circle, lots of folks just don't peruse it.
Well, yea.... I don't feel qualified to post in the lab much (my first thread there was a week or so ago). I figure that's where the smart guys hang out to talk shop and the novices (me) should simply lurk and keep their mouth shut.

But to answer your question, yes, I'm HEAVILY into DIY. I can follow instructions, and CAN sling solder.
I could build about anything given adequate pictures, explanations, and direction. So a DIY project is right up my alley, but most of the time the posts are over my head and not spelled out well enough for a wanna-be solder jockey.
I'll check out the Felix thread later today........I'm taking occasional short breaks from building a bathroom for my audio room right now, don't have time to give it the full level of concentration it deserves.

Thanks for not spanking me too hard Paul.  :wink:
Bob

Occam

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jan 2009, 05:23 pm »
I'm taking occasional short breaks from building a bathroom for my audio room right now,

Now if THAT doesn't conjure some of the strangest and disconcerting images....  :wink:

-Paul

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 9 Jan 2009, 05:59 pm »
 :lol: The primer is drying on the walls as we speak.
Gotta have a place down here in the basement for the audiophiles to pee, now don't we?  aa
It's too far to walk ALL the way upstairs to go potty.

Bob

Occam

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jan 2009, 06:49 pm »
Wouldn't THIS be a far simpler and 'elegant' solution -

Think of the money you could save, and devote to audio components and tunes -
http://shop.ebay.com/items/glass%20urinal?_dmd=1&_sop=2

Truly, our forebearers truly knew the meaning of K.I.S.S.  aa
the original UltraOutlet....
and probably, the source of the expression, 'Put a cork in it!'

-Paul

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 9 Jan 2009, 07:27 pm »
 :jester:
Well, mine isn't quite the conversation piece yours is Paul.  :rotflmao: 
I doubt mine will make the fellas go home and tell their wives about where they got to drain their weasel.......
But, (no offense intended), the Gateway Audio Society guys might be more comfortable using mine.  :lol:

You are truly a man of many talents Paul.  :thumb: "The Keeper of Audio and Urinals".
I just can't believe there's 24 of those up for auction on Ebay right now.
The things people collect........ :duh: :lol:

Bob