Bryston/ Pmc relationship?

lyle1

Bryston/ Pmc relationship?
« on: 8 Jan 2009, 11:13 pm »
Whatever happened with Bryston marketing and promoting PMC speakers?  I thought they had a close relationship?  Wasn't it understood that the two products had good "synergy" when put together?  Maybe Bryston felt that PMC speakers were not good enough and moved onto something else?  Any comments Mr.Tanner or others?

Phil A

Re: Bryston/ Pmc relationship?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2009, 12:11 am »
Read the Circle Name Change thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=45326.0

predrag

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2009, 10:05 am »
Whatever their relation might be nowdays they remain my favorites and like them equally!
In my eyes (or ears) still the best combo.
Ain´t no bass like their BASS!

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2009, 04:28 pm »
Did someone mentioned BASS! 

My new PMC OB1 just opened up and released a can of woopass BASS!  It is fast accurate bass that I am not accustomed to hearing in my Sonus Faber.

lyle1

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2009, 05:10 pm »
predgrag....How do you like the new 7b's?  I bet it makes a huge difference in soundstage, overall detail, and bass control.  I made a similar change with my EB1is.'  I started with a 400 watt stereo McIntosh amplifier and switched to 500 watt Mcintosh monoblocks.  There was a huge difference such as I mentioned above.  I wonder what the "difference" in sound is between our two systems with the same speakers?  Both using similar power output monoblocs and such......interesting......

predrag

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2009, 05:49 pm »
Did someone mentioned BASS! 

My new PMC OB1 just opened up and released a can of woopass BASS!  It is fast accurate bass that I am not accustomed to hearing in my Sonus Faber.

Hello Levi,

I know that feeling and hope you are enjoying your new speakers.
I was very happy with my OB1´s!
They will be better and better as their working hours add up.

predgrag....How do you like the new 7b's?  I bet it makes a huge difference in soundstage, overall detail, and bass control.  I made a similar change with my EB1is.'  I started with a 400 watt stereo McIntosh amplifier and switched to 500 watt Mcintosh monoblocks.  There was a huge difference such as I mentioned above.  I wonder what the "difference" in sound is between our two systems with the same speakers?  Both using similar power output monoblocs and such......interesting......

Hello Lyle1!

Well, as you know this is premiere league where we are now.
Let me decribe it this way:
4B SSTC is a nice V6 engine. Monoblocks are V8´s.
It is unlikely that we will use these engines to their 100% in domestic use but the feeling they give us is awesome!
There is plenty of fine detail to be discovered. Soundstage is a littlebit wider and far deeper.
Control over speaker´s drivers is incredible. It is clearly audible what is bass drum and what is bass guitar.
7B´s thanks to their damping factor are able to stop the bass membrane after bass drum hits once. There is no "ringing" afterwards.
It is fascinating how easily these amps play regardless of the listening level.
Overall balance remains the same whether listened at low levels or very loud.
I cannot say this improvement was 100% in performance.
It is rather 10% in performance. Clearly audible 10% that cost 100% more for amplification.
Any further percent costs logarithmically more!

Yes, I wish we were closer. I am in Zagreb/Croatia.
There are not many Macs around here. I am also curious about your system.

All the best!
 :thumb:

lyle1

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2009, 06:08 pm »
Predrag,  my Mac system consists of  the C2300(a Mac tube pre-amp) Mc501s'(500 watt monoblocs) and the MCD500( MacSACD/CD player).  I aslo use a PS Audio PPP power regenertator.  My amps plug directly into individual 20 amp circuits.  Is this necessary....no; but I do believe it makes an improvement in the overall sound.
I would be curious to hear the differences between your 7bs and the bigger 28bs with the EB1is'?  Is bigger necessarily better...then there is that law of deminishing returns?  I live in Canada...I don't think we will be able to listen to each others equipment.

predrag

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2009, 06:47 pm »
Predrag,  my Mac system consists of  the C2300(a Mac tube pre-amp) Mc501s'(500 watt monoblocs) and the MCD500( MacSACD/CD player).  I aslo use a PS Audio PPP power regenertator.  My amps plug directly into individual 20 amp circuits.  Is this necessary....no; but I do believe it makes an improvement in the overall sound.
I would be curious to hear the differences between your 7bs and the bigger 28bs with the EB1is'?  Is bigger necessarily better...then there is that law of deminishing returns?  I live in Canada...I don't think we will be able to listen to each others equipment.

Hello Lyle1,

Great system of yours!
Not only musically but it must be looking great as well!
I heard 28B with EB1i in November at HiFi fair here in Zagreb.
Unfortunately it was in an emptied hotel room that wasn t really built for this purpose plus the crowd that was going in and out...
I was promised to get a pair 28B` s for a private test later this year.
It is understood that I will share my impressions with you.
However what I forgot to write in my previous post is that if there is room for improvement it should be our listening rooms first.
If changing 4B for a pair of 7B´s makes 10% sonic difference I am sure that good acoustic treatment of an average listening room could bring at least twice as much improvement.

Cheers!

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2009, 07:18 pm »
Thanks  predrag :thumb:

I am only using 60watts of tubed McIntosh power and they sounded good to me already.